Whale hunting and human freedom.

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by Bilby, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

A few years ago when Japan and Norway wanted to resume whale hunting, at the prompting of a fellow greenie I went on a spam campaign agianst the proposal.
    A female anarchist replied ,
    "I hate the actions of whale hunters, pig shooters and four wheel drivers (SUV's)
    but I have a love of human freedom".

2. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

That's ridiculous. "Well, I love human life, but I also believe in the right of human choice, so we can't enact any laws making murder illegal, because it would infringe upon the right to choose to kill."

That's what we call ignorance and selfishness. Just because yeah, we can choose to kill whales, or we can choose to dump poison in public drinking water, or we can choose to clear cut a forest, or slaughter all the bison, or do nuclear testing, or burn the dirtiest coal we can find....doesn't mean we SHOULD.

Human life (and choice) is not the only thing that counts in this world.

3. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

I would choose leter- writing over spam, but at least you were doing something about it. That anarchist sounds like she's not very bright. If she had true anarchy, she'd be dead by now, and so would the rest of us. Pure and simple.

4. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

isn't anarchy just the idea of a society with no government or organized power and absolute freedom?

5. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Anarchy won't work. First, you'd have to have people all enlightened and not acting selfishly, or you have chaos. But even if THAT ever happens, because there are SO many people on Earth, we would need some organizational systems to keep things going smoothly. Anarchy only works in small tribal societies (the hunter gatherer type, really), and our populations are far, far beyond that system of living ever coming back, short of global catastrophe.

6. spooner

spooner is done.

not in canada. i'll go live in the woods by myself.