We've covered School shootings. Now lets tackle Chicago.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NotMyRealName, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

That's true. They could be just pretending to be ignorant. But wouldn't that mean they're mentally ill?

2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I used Chicago because it is one of the tightest controlled access to guns in the country. I'm happy to compare it to less gun controlled examples and less racially slanted demographic examples. And had planned on doing so before the conclusion of the thread. They all count. Lets see if there are common denominators.

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yet within 2 generations they assimilated into the American culture and population and were considered "white" as you stated it.

4. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And there are white class distinctions within its own race. Your proposed concept was this country and its whites benefits from white privilege as a way to explain their success and the determent to the "other" races. So we should be able to apply that logic to the countries that have "Black" privilege shouldn't we?

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Were their ancestors brought over here in chains, separated from their families, and then after "emancipation" subjected to formal and informal segregation which persisted until the sixties? That two-generation assimilation for the Irish and Italians was facilitated by their white skins and the absence of any comparable history of bondage and the cultural dislocations that went with it.

Deidre likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Wow.

NoHobo likes this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Only if they have a non-black underprivileged class? What countries would those be, BTW? Your use of the term "race" is particularly unhelpful in this context. Let's look at specific examples. We might take the Ibo in Nigeria, the Baganda in Uganda, the Ashanti in Ghana, or the Watutsi in Rwanda and Burundi. I bring these examples up because they all involved one ethnic group or "tribe" achieving a superior position of wealth, status and power, and others resenting it. In each case, I doubt that the superiority was a result of biological factors and was in fact a result of historical and cultural factors. Do you want to go there? Probably a bit off topic.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Balbus likes this.
  8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I whole heartedly agree that the ancestors of our black population were brought here against their will and treated poorly. But that portion of American history was concluded over 100 years ago now. We have recognized and passed numerous laws to make sure blacks are considered equal as much as Irish, etc. and in fact given them preferred treatments by law that other "outside ethnic arrivals" never got. Yet those other ethnic arrivals haven't had difficulty assimilating into our nation, within a short period of time.

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Well it seems a bit premature to go there as I wanted to look at the domestic aspects in say Atlanta, Detroit etc. as it applied to the argument of white privilege being suggested. But if you propose those nations and want to provide comparable data, I'm open to it.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It wasn't concluded over 100 years ago. Jim Crow and institutionalized segregation in the South lasted until the 1960s. The laws to correct the situation began with Brown V Board of Education but it took the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to really get the ball rolling, and the socioeconomic and cultural patterns that were entrenched are difficult to erase. No white ethnic group in this country experienced anything comparable to that.

11. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Youre still on the affirmative action train. My god you are a comedian.

12. machinist

A lot of black people are doing great.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not by definition when its on an internet forum. It could be extreme boredom, or out of a fear people you don't agree with reach a conclusion or consensus that may have unwanted consequences when acted upon, or they could be payed to distort views, messages and ruin constructive discussions, etc. etc.

14. machinist

By cultural dislocations you mean starving to death and banging on drums.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    This guy is not even trying anymore. Just like in the thread about school shootings. Seems fair to point out to the people who still choose to pay him the respect of a serious reaction.

16. machinist

I would like to see you walk down a street in the south sjde of chicago telling the lowlifes that live there how great they are and that theyre just victims of the white mans system and to keep up the great work having tons of kids with different dads and not working.

Get real

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you want to pretend black priviledge exists in some of the poorest nations on earth that's your prerogative I guess

18. machinist

But thats the thing... all talk no action.

19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I'm perfectly willing to take examples where black privelage is in place where the countries are wealthy. Find those examples if you like.

You didn't qualify the race privilege applied to economic results. I don't know my world geography enough to know the examples of all the black majority choices. We have plenty of cities in America that are majority black populated and governed that I'd think the proposed Black Privilege logic could be applied like your examples in White Privilege is in your suggested logic.

Or if you like, find some poor nations or cities that have white privilege and lets see how they look in comparison.

20. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Just like Democrats require votes from their various back-grounded, various educated and various cultured voters, so do the Republicans. Since you don't vote for either, you don't need to accommodate a view that benefits or hinders you country's leadership. He is allowed to have a view, no matter how he feels it needs to be presented. He does vote here. Lord knows we have been forced to hear from his counterparts from the left long enough.

Anyone has the option to ignore him. He will still vote.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.