West Coast Towns Ban Washing Your Car

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by Piney, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Run off from car washing is contributing to poluition in
    some West Coast estuaries. Now local goverments are banning
    student car wash fundraisers and even washing you own car in your
    driveway.

Classic conflict between rights and community obgligations.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119673690719012753.html

Anybody have any feelings about this ?

:goodevil:

2. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

To quote the article:

Just trying to get people to buy their crap...

All jokig aside...
    This is a stupid plan. its like hiding a ugly buildng behind a billboard. just covering up a larger problem.
    Yes..we do need to conserv water and be mindful of polution...but arresting someone for washing their car. Thats going way to far.

3. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I heard of an elderly woman who was arrested for NOT watering her lawn and the grass was dead. An officer approached her and asked her name and she refused to answer his question b/c she didn't know what he was doing. He tried to put handcuffs on her and she fell down her steps, getting bloodied in the process. That's pretty fucked up. What's our country coming to when an elderly woman is brutally arrested for a dead lawn?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1444771

Peace and love

4. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

Thats more etting arrested for nto coperating witht the police (and they prob. got her for resisting arrest.)
    Its bullshit as the plice should be doing their jobsand not playing 'lawn cops'.

5. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Did you read the story? She was released and no charges were filed against her after the someone higher up the police food chain heard what happened. The officer who arrested her was placed on paid administrative leave.

Peace and love

6. treehuggerT

treehuggerT Member

Washing cars and letting the water run down the storm drain (i.e., straight into the ocean, untreated) is a source of pollution and a waste of water (we're in a drought). Do you really want all the chemicals you use on your car along with all the dirt and grime and oil in the ocean? Car washes collect and recycle the water and dispose of the waste. If you have to wash your own car, do it on the lawn. The grass gets the water and you keep your waste to yourself. This is actually not a joke.

7. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

Yeah, cuz, you know, them old ladies can get mean and violent. Never know if they're gonna hit you witht heir cane.
    That cop should be ashamed.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Here at the shore of Barnegat Bay, NJ. the big concerns are fertlizer and pesticides from lawns, run-off including sewage & doggy do. The Canada Geese and road salt used in wintertime.

Not much said bout car washing, could the higher level of precipitation on the east Coast make the estuaries have diferent tolerances?

California doesnt get road salt ( de-icer), be thankful for that.

9. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

I think public car washes should totally be banned....but on the flipside, perhaps using the public washer would save water compared to the moronic wasters who like to spray their cars for a half hour instead of actually scrubbing it...meh, Ban it all! Including lawn watering and pesticides!

10. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Plain old soap shouldn't be a problem and if washed on a lawn should be good for it. Actually i don't wash my truck I let the annual rains do the job for me. My brother hates that I let the dust and road grime build up on it, but oh well he'll get over it. It's not his truck. And I let my lawns die this year, I wonder if I have to worry about being arrested? Not watering the lawns has really saved on my utility bills, and gas for the mower, but I do worry about fire danger, although I scalped it before I let it die, so there's really nothing there to burn.

When did we allow them to set laws telling us how to take care of our yards?

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It's part of the new eco-freedom, where everyone bends over like an obedient slave and pretends they're happy because they're "saving Gaia."

12. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

you would ruin your lawn....

13. Cosmic Elf

Cosmic Elf Member

how about turning the lawn into a garden? *wink wink nudge nudge*

14. Rugor

Rugor Senior Member

you could have some ugly yard full of weeds. it all depends on the homeowners association and what the rules are for your neighborhood. in my area some neighborhoods are super trashy cus they have no rules while other hoods everyone has a nice green perfect lawn.

some home associations allow alternative front yards. like you could do all wood chips or a nice properly maintained garden or a bunch of small pebbles. just gotta ask and find out.

and now replying to the thread title I am glad that this is being cracked down on. some storm drains even lead to local rivers and creeks and it is killing the fish and can't be good for animals that drink from the creeks/rivers. for people who think this law is stupid let me ask you this, would you wanna drink soap water????

15. SpringClear

SpringClear Guest

I actually agree with this somewhat. Don't ban car washing outright, but of course you can't bet on humans to think properly.