Welcome to the China Forum!

Discussion in 'China' started by skip, Dec 9, 2006.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

China, the worlds most populous country has become the focus of the world's attention due to its booming economy, the upcoming Olympics, its continued repression of dissidents, and its emergence as a world superpower.

This forum is for discussing China with Chinese people. No topic is forbidden here. You can discuss the Taiwan situation, China's leaders and domestic and foreign policy, Tibet, Tianamen Square student protests, Falun Gong, etc.

I hope despite this freedom of speech, the Chinese authorities will allow this site to be accessed in the country. If it is censored, it's only more proof of China's lack of human rights.

Enjoy the forum!

2. skip

I'd also like to invite everyone here to visit our China Photo Gallery where you can view and post up your own photos of China.

Enjoy!

3. JoJoVenus

JoJoVenus Member

Hi Skip

I AM COMING~~~~~~~:jester:

4. JoJoVenus

JoJoVenus Member

I have noticed your words, your viewpoint in the thread and your sentence behind the topic of Chinese forum ( China: Discuss and learn about China with Chinese people ).Why no the the same words as Japan, Thailand , India .( Make friends, discuss traveling, culture, politics, economy)?

Are only what you said worth discussing?
    Dose booming economy certainly lead to world superpower?
    What are human rights?

Things on the world can not be claimed which is wrong or right.
    Countries all around the world have bifferent history and politics and we can not say history is wrong or right because it can not be changed.
    Dose it make sence you sensure me what I HAVE done is wrong and I rebuke what you HAVE said is stupid?
    :toetap:
    ALL IS FOR SURVIVAL !!

Maybe what we should do is to find what others do better than us and learn form others.

5. skip

Hi JoJo, please don't take that personally. I hope most Chinese don't. The reason for it is that this is a Free Speech site, so we have a duty to promote free speech in places where it is repressed.

Currently China, Burma, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia and a few other countries are restricting what can be viewed and posted on the Internet.

Because China is such a big country, and our biggest technology companies like Microsoft, Cisco, etc. are heavily involved in the Internet there, we are very concerned about whether they are helping China's leaders censor the Internet or not.

You see the Internet was FOUNDED on the concept of the free flow of information. We are able to communicate with you thanks to the FREE thinkers (hippies actually) who invented the Internet and personal computer.

So we have a vested interest in seeing that this freedom is not restricted.

Now that we have a China forum, it will soon be a test as to whether you can continue to access it from wherever you are.

Because I have inserted several of the keywords that are currently being censored in China in my first post in this thread, this whole website will soon be reviewed again by Chinese authorities.

Try to look up these words in Google from your location JoJo:
    dissident, Tianamen Square protest, student protest, human rights, Tibet independence, Falun Gong, etc. What do you get?

So please be careful because your government who is like Big Brother (you ever read 1984 by George Orwell?) is watching what gets posted.

I am also very concerned about your countrymen who are being arrested and tried for Internet crimes, when all they are doing is something we all take for granted in the US, Europe and most other countries - Free Speech.

Try to criticize your government (we do it all the time here - see America Attacks forum), and see what happens.

The entire world was with the students in Tianamen Square when they were protesting the government. They even had a Statue of Liberty, which is symbolic of freedom. But now it is almost like it never happened. Your government has censored everything relating to that event. Have you too forgotten it?

These are some of the things that we can discuss in this forum. But if you are fearful you need not participate in those discussions.

BTW, the official description of this forum is:
    "Discuss and learn about China with Chinese people."

Part of learning about China is learning the politics of the country.

Peace & Freedom to all Chinese!

6. skip

See here's something that is being repressed in China right now.

There is a Universal Declaration of Human Rights!

Your country is currrently in violation of this in so many ways! My country too!

If you try to post that declaration up on a Chinese website, what do you think would happen?

Try to search for it, see what happens...

7. skip

Yes, but if you cannot access your own history due to censorship, and it is not being taught in schools, you cannot learn from previous mistakes (like Tianamen Square massacre).

BTW (by the way), you can see from the other threads in this forum what Chinese topics are of concern to westerners. Those threads were posted in other forums and moved here so we already have discussions underway.

So you see it's not just tourism that we care about here. This site is not your typical forum website - not at all!

8. skip

Well, it appears JoJo and most of China no longer has access to this website.

China has CENSORED these free-speech forums.

I'm not surprised. So JoJo and a billion+ chinese do not have freedom of speech!

Maybe ppl here can appreciate having this right a bit more now.

9. shirley

shirley Member

Is it illegal to discuss things such as the Tiananmen Square massacre in China?

We went to China with school and tried asking our tour guides about it and all 3 of them just ignored us.

We also went to a chinese school in Beijing with people our age and asked them if they knew about it, and of course they didn't, but we didn't really know much about it ourselves to tell them.

I read in the news about the growing number of chinese with internet access. Surely the government won't be able to keep these things secret for much longer?

10. skip

Shirley, thanks to Microsoft, Cisco and others, China has the capability and the will to censor links to ANY site that mentions any of the prohibited subjects I mentioned above (and more).

The big corporations would rather allow censorship then be banned from operating in China. Money trumps freedom - that's the American way these days.

It's really sad our corporations are involved in repressing human rights, but hey, it's profitable, so why not. It's only a matter of time before such censorship becomes the norm around the world, esp. in the USA...

11. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

omg ..i am late .. sorry for waiting me that long time to make a post here . cuz i was so busy reading the amazing threads in hipforums.. make me forgot i should say ' hi' in China forum cuz i am chinese who live in Canton . i 'd better used' Cantonese " to describe myself since i am not a mandarin speaker and i speak Mandarin so terribly.

i could understand why skip making such begining of the thread cuz i have the same promble of ' free speech ' since i got the chance of internet and could handling it quiet well after 2 year internet experience ( i was so dumb )

And i am facing the same promble for everyday blockage of foreigne websites . like my favorite Wiki .. i dont mean to against the govt or too extremem mind of my country matters . Just this really mean something ==> Blockage . This made me think about the old time China in early period of Charirman Mao . and under his authority , how s China ' true face , i bet everyone knows it. We closed our door for any outside country .

Make a New fresh China forum is one of my wish in hipforms , for i wish the West will making a new view of Chinese that we are just the human beings in this world .

Sorry for if i making offensive or lanuage mistakes here .

Blessing everyone

Cathy

12. skip

Cathy, we all feel bad that China is blocking so many western websites. We are angry at the American companies who help China impose censorship on 1.4 Billion people. These are Cisco and Microsoft and others. They do this to make big profits from Chinese people. That is all they care about, not freedom for China. Does this bother you too?

This is the problem with Western Imperialism. As long as companies make profits they don't care what happens to people in other countries. This is what communism tried to stop. Now China becomes more like the west, more capitalistic, more consumeristic (buy, buy, buy), and we all know that 1.4 billion Chinese (plus 1.2 billion from India) cannot live like Americans do without destroying our planet. Do you agree?

13. HikerHauk

HikerHauk Banned

*Question Mark*

14. skip

Amour Cathy also lost access to this site right after she made her first day of postings.

Yes, folks CENSORSHIP IS REAL! And it's being actively supported by the likes of Microsoft, Google and Cisco!

Now that they've perfected their censorship filters in China, they're ready to go at a moment's notice anywhere else on the planet.

Isn't that just great?

15. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

omg , now i know who making this blockage , i used to think this is the masterpiece which made in china ( another new product that made in china ) .but this time , the blockage is sino - us ..Now i dislike Bill gates for he allowing the tricky business of earning the money in China .

But how come this would make a big profits , are they selling something for china to let china make the blockage , Sorry , i might should ask too much for i dont know computer at all.. i only know how to log in sites or doing some easy work .

16. skip

Yes, there is billions of $ to be made in China by US high-tech companies. Microsoft and Cisco and Google all faced a complete ban on sales in China if they did not enforce Chinese censorship.

Microsoft's MSN service, which you use Cathy is one way they make money. Also the microsoft operating system is in use in most computers today. I think most Chinese computer have it, and they must pay a royalty to microsoft for every machine sold.

Google makes money from advertising revenue, and if they were blocked from China, they would lose 1.3 billion users if there was no google in China.

But even more, these companies probably feared that if they didn't comply, China would produce similar products to what the US companies were offering, and there would never be a need to purchase the US products at all.

In fact if China could produce similar products at say 25% of the cost, then China could sell operating systems, Internet routers and search engines to the US, and could even put these multinational companies out of business someday.

17. fool_leave

fool_leave Member

This thread should be very good.
    but the beginning is...
    Cathy,I don't know who is the one don't trade you as a human being,but now i think you are the one.

If we are talking about the culture,ppl,view of China,i'm very glad to join you.But if this thread is just a platform for the speakers having ulterior motives to blame and instigate,i'll spit on it.

What is freedom?The Roman said they are freemen and than occupied Egypt and made the ppl slaves.America said ppl in Afghanistan and Iraq should be freemen and then put his army there with guns and blood.Why all the freemen like to put their knives into others home?

What you want to know or discuss about China?I tell you.China is the kindest country in the world.She never invades other countries.She hopes there'r no hurt ,no hungriness,no blood in every corner of the world although she is not rich yet. She helps poor countries like Afghanistan,Congo with food,medicament and money but not guns.

Yeah ,China is a developing country.But why is she so poor?You stand there talking about the problems in China,but have you ever think about why a country can keep 10 percent developing speed for over 10 years but still poor?If you are a educated man,just take out a real history book and turn back 100 years. America,England,France,German,Japan...,they developed their empires and builded "free","civilized" societis,taught there ppl how to be a gentoman.But the gvn send their armies to China.They forbid opium in their counties but sell it to China.If we forbid it too,"human rights" comes out with guns and cannons.If you want to discuss,it should be the beginning.

China do need your assistance.
    So companies come.Build factories.I don't know what should i say.cuz i own a company,and i realy know what this assistance is.The worker in China gains only 2000 Yuan for one month work, but if it is in the usa,and the same job,the payment should be 2000$, 7 times!!! Although they are in different labour markets,i still feel something like salves.And,pay attention to the types of the factories.Nothing high-tech.Most of them are labour intensive and with high pollution risk.What would you say about this?

Do what you can to help developing countris.If you won't ,just stop blame.China needs peace and stability.I love my country,and i believe we can solve all the problems.

18. ohohoh

ohohoh Member

I am in mainland China and I can view this website with NO PROBLEM at all.

So Don't worry!:)

19. ohohoh

ohohoh Member

But i still wanna fuck the government. they suck.

20. leeshing

leeshing Member

Chinese government has their own way of thinking. What they care about is the development of economy and harmony of society. A very practical problem may arise after they open all the freedom of speech: Will Chinese people treat and discuss those matters in a normal way? Surely not. Look what they behave when Japanese government made a stupid speech and the officials visited Yasukuni Shrine(it is not right of course), millions of netizens will scold and behave infriendly towards not only the government but also japanese people. (honestly speaking, i am one of them that anti japanese)
    So for chinese government, they also censored news from japan to avoid anti japanese feeling of chinese people. Why they do that? Because they think there is no need for people to know. They want the people to focus on thier own work to promote the economy and contribute to the society. I could understand the way chinese government do.