Weirdest Sound

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Stillravenmad, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

A couple of minutes ago, I heard the most bizarre thing outside. It sounded sort of like a child crying, only it was clearly an animal. High pitched, very loud, sounded pretty close to our house (which is in the woods) and I think there was more than one of them. It sounded like either a preditor celebrating a kill, or maybe a prey being hunted. Scared the crap out of our dog- boy, was I glad we keep her in the house at night! Hell, what it was scared the crap out of me! It was really odd. It may well be coyotes, my dad says we have them in the area, but coyotes sound sort of like dogs and wolves don't they? I don't know, does anyone have any idea what it might have been?

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Rabbits sound exactly like a crying child when they are dying or deathly afraid of something. I've heard it several times while growing up, and it would give ANYONE the heebie-jeebies!
    love,
    mom

3. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

That might have been it. We do have a lot of rabbits, and we do have a (beautiful white) stray cat that comes into our yard. Maybe kitty was doing a little hunting.

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Actually... That DOES sound like coyotes. They sound a little different from dogs or wolves, and they actually DO sound like little kids playing around and yelling, or crying, even. I've heard them before myself when my buddies and I were sitting out on the patio. Pretty interesting sound.

5. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

One night in bed, not long after I'd moved to this country, I heard this loud screaming coming in short spells and it scared the crap out of me. It sounded like a woman being raped or murdered. I hadn't been that scared for as long as I could remember. My boyfriend got up and looked out the window and said, "It's a fox."

Haven't heard it since. Damn English foxes!

6. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

Rabbit's screaming is hands-down the freakiest sound ever.

7. FaeryMoon

FaeryMoon Member

It was probably coyotes. I was in my bed one night and heard the same exact thing... I thought it was some of my stupid friends playing a joke on me, but when I finally got the nerve to look out my window over my bed, there were two coyotes below hanging out around my window. Scared the shit out of me, but I was glad I was safely inside!