Weird Dream Phenomenon...

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Jimbee68, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have a lot of weird phenomenon in my dreams, you could say.

One weird thing, is dream memories. I have memories that are only valid in my dreams. For example, in my dreams, my family might be descended from European royalty. (This isn't true, and it is only a hypothetical example. But bear with me.) Then as I am about to wake up, I think, Yeah, of course we're descended from royalty. Then the moment I wake up, I realize, Hey, that isn't true!

Then there are places that only exist in my dreams. One is a restaurant, near my home (which in itself is weird, since I never frequent businesses near my home). One time, I thought, Yeah, this place is real. Why do I even doubt it exists in my waking world? Then when I woke up, the truth dawned on me once again.

There are many other places that only exist in my dreams. And there are themes that are often reƫxperienced in my dreams. (One I just had recently, is the college class that I am totally unprepared for. I didn't study the text book, I didn't prepare for the test. And then the final exam comes. Sometimes it distresses me. Other times, I think, Oh well, what the heck.)

And sometimes I dream in serial. I have a dream one night. And I finish it, right where I left off the night before, the next night.

Anybody have similar experiences? And do scientists study this? Would they be interested in our experiences like this?

:)

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yes. i sometimes wonder if i'm sometimes dreaming someone else's dreams. i know some of the time it might be from some other previous or future life of my own.
    the science of social psychology might have some interest. the problem would be how to collect a sufficient mass of data for the glitches not to be more and larger then the data.
    yes i have a lot of "continued on next dream" too. and yes, memories in dreams of places in them that are not places, or at least not accurate simulations of them, in our waking world.
    as mentioned, its just like i wake up in a parallel universe. parallel universe because there are things, fundimental physical prinicipals that just work differently then in our own.
    "earth" in my dreams, has a completely different history. one without wars of conquest, genocides, or losses of evolving civilizations. technologies are almost always at at least current levels, sometime quite a ways ahead, but again different, where things we take for granted as familiar when awake are often completely different. sometimes no cities, almost always some kind of public transportation where there is any kind of development at all, pretty much no deforestation, and a much smaller population generally in relations to environment.
    one thing i've never found is a mirror. but everything else,clocks, computer screens, everything, works just fine.
    but i also, sometimes there are people in them, very rarely lots of people, or anyone resembling anyone i know.
    one thing, dream or awake, i experience existence as environment i'm surrounded by, and not as relationships between people.
    my focus and interest is the intersection between infrastrucutre and environment, in dreams as in life.
    in the cities or larger towns, and even smallest ones almost always have some sort (unless they're less then a hundred years post ecopocalypse) the public transportation routes remain consistent. and i find myself knowing them. what bus/tram to catch to go to the university, other schools, parks, libraries, home, et al.
    one thing that does very sometimes, by which i mean there are more then one, though each is consistent, places where i wake up and find myself living.
    and i'd love, in real life, to live in pretty much any of them.

3. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Once i used to dream of fucking a rifle. Like, opening the bolt and sticking my dick into the cartridge chamber. It makes perfect sense as long as i was dreaming.
    I have sleep paralysis. Google for it, i have it in full power save for the out of body experience. I have hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations.
    I dream often of a swamp and the nice thing is that there is no living creature there, no sounds and no smells, just me, warm water and lush green vegetation. I like it because there is no one, no shitty obnoxious people or stupid worthless animals around, because seriously, fuck everyone.
    It is like this since my childhood, save for the gun fucking part.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's mighty strange ok. i've had dreams in which i was somehow just barely able to bend in the middle somehow just enough, to fellate myself.
    very very few of my dreams does anything ever take place, even remotely related to sex. obviously i must have been in some other form then human to be able to do that.
    cats can. humans as far as i'm aware, cannot.

names occur to me sometimes in dreams, that have no connection to anyone in this life, or anyone i'm aware of every having met.
    other words that are not names of people do to. of course most of my dreams are wandering around in life, in other worlds, possibly other universes.

in many of them i have no awareness of possessing any sort of physical form at all, just the 'camera' eye to see and sometimes hear with.

the only time i can recall anything to do with weapons of any kind was having to duck under crossfire between sides i knew nothing about.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the strangeness is what i love about them. nothing vague, all completely detailed, but completely without the assumptions most humans live by in waking life.
    and it is such a good happy free feeling to be without them. everything is completely functional, some things are just not there though.
    one thing i've never found is a mirror. no idea what i would see in it if i ever did.
    maybe like a camera drone floating in mid air. or an almost completely invisible blob with just barely visible fuzzy edges.

although i do seem to have hands and arms with which i can do things, usually pushing buttons or opening doors, although making things happens too.
    although i think that's usually done by computers programed by mind link. but i can pick up hand tools and use them.

well dreams mostly just have to be allowed to go where they want to if i don't want the lack of them to wake me up.
    but i can, usually, keep them from going any place that would embarass me.

letting the mind go where it will is how i'm able to fall asleep. it doesn't happen until i do. but i am getting better at not having to be in complete control of them all the time.
    the goodness of strangeness is what i believe in, and not the goodness of wishing to be feared.

its a perspective, if that makes me not quite human, that's good too.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

dreams and animation have this in common, now i'm asking myself why i was thinking what i was about to say, but anyway, dreams and animation have in common that gravity isn't the given that it is in waking life on a planet, that's more words then i intended to use to say it, you have to bring your own.

like a camera that is a geometric point in space, that is defined as having zero dimensions in any direction. just a point, that can float anywhere it wants to.
    that may be from too much thinking in terms of creating imaginary spaces in the computer to make animations in.

usually i do feel like i have some mass and of generally ordinary proportions, but my eye, with the rest of me tagged along but forgotten, can fit through places,
    well its entirely up to what perception is going on in the dream, sometimes i can't fit through places my body couldn't or wouldn't, but often that is the only perception in them,
    of having a body of any form.

but the places where i go, are just like ordinary places, although not always places that are ordinary on this world, but common enough on one where if no one hated logic,
    nor demonized imagination either. all withing, well mostly and often within, what we could with what we know, build on any world if our culture was more like that.

nothing screwed up for money or cars, if you can even imagine a world like that, but all stuff we could and sometimes do, the collective we, build.
    indiginous hippy college campus exparimental architecture villages. lost of gardens, forrest, trees, odd little houses, odd little trains,
    solar and other clean power or simply "magic" in the sense of being there without having to be explained.

even places set aside to be like the kind of communes we once dreamed of back in the day, which in practical reality on this earth never quite turned out that way,
    but in this other dream world, exist, or existed for a long time, became a kind of established community. but there's more then one alternative of this world, and
    not everything is the same there, and also there's looking at it at different years and decades, even centuries. both forward and back.