Weird Dream Phenomena.

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Jimbee68, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't know about the rest of you. But I notice some pretty stuff that happens when I dream. And I long have wondered if I am alone.

One thing is dream in serial. I start dreaming something, wake up, then return at the exact same point the next night. Sometimes I only remember the dream asleep. I know this, because one time I was dreaming. And I thought, I really hope I remember this when I wake up. But alas I didn't.

Another thing is going to places that only exist in my dreams. As I said, there is this restaurant that only exists in my dreams. When I am asleep, I fully believe that they are real. But upon waking, I soon realize that they aren't. Weird, no?

Another phenomenon is what I can best describe as semi-lucid dreams. I am about to wake up, but I am still dreaming a little. But I still fully believe the dream narrative. Then the instant I wake up, I realize of course it isn't true.

One time specifically, I dreamt they dug my maternal grandmother up, and discovered they could still resuscitate her. Now my grandmother died when I was barely three. So I never got to know her as an adult. What a unique opportunity it was I thought, even as I was in twilight sleep. Then upon waking up, I realized of course it wasn't true. Fascinating, no?

Any of the rest of you have similar experiences?

:)

themnax and oscar eatseveryone like this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

how do you know?

i have some of these. places that only exist in dreams, all the time. a lot of times the place represents a real location, except it's totally different. same with people, i'll have some complete stranger in my dream, but i know that they're supposed to be someone i know. but yeah, some of my dream locations are complete fiction.

also i do have some semi lucid dreams. not exactly what you describe; it's usually that i know i'm dreaming but i still don't have full control like in a true lucid dream.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

you should keep a dream journal, i used to as a kid. you wake up and no matter what time you write down your dreams. :)
    eventually they became too fucked up to write about. :confused2:

4. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

My weird phenomena usually has to do with seeing my body in bed, as if I were floating above it, sleep paralysis, and a tiny but of lucid dreaming ( I always wake up immediately though :( )
    I have had moments of "deja vu" all through my life where something happened that I had dreamed of before, sometimes years before.
    I also have had lots of dreams about spirits trying to enter my body.
    I think the weirdest thing that has happened to me though was waking up and thinking about myself in the third person, as if I was someone else for a couple of seconds.

5. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I do that sometimes, but I'm the opposite where I usually don't bother writing about dreams that aren't fucked up enough, lol.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This may seem a strange question, Do you ever sleep wit the quilt or blankets covering your head.?

7. wilsjane

Dreams have puzzled me for years and I now try to make sense of them as I dream. I try to identify ares by the bricks used on the buildings and the bond of the brickwork in order get some idea of date and location.
    One thing that is apparent is that dreams always seem to date back to the past. Another recurring feature is that I am stuck there because I seem to have lost my car. Perhaps that is simply because the car could not have possibly been there.
    I now closely link dreams to my theories on reincarnation. That being data somehow in my brain that has no reason to be there. When a file is deleted on a computer, it is not erased, bus simply removed from its file, adding it to the spare space on the drive and allowing it to be overwritten. Since our brain is essentially an electronic device, could something similar be happening.
    Regarding how the date got there, I have several theories that may all be partly correct. Firstly through heredity, maybe by exchange of body fluids, particularly blood, or perhaps even through mental telepathy. Many people who receive a donor organ report major personality changes, particularly after major heart surgery.
    Since our DNA is totally unique, could this be the operating language for the whole thing.?
    Doctors freely admit that 90% of our brain is still a complete mystery, perhaps at some point in the future the whole thing will fall into place.

8. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

My dreams can resemble horror movies. Scary beings coming after me type deal, and the whole atmosphere of the dreams can contain something fucked up that is not unlike the elements of The Cell the movie. I've looked into dream interpretation a little bit, and a gist I've gotten is that stress can trigger nightmares.

But then lately I haven't been having nearly as many nightmares as was several months prior. Maybe that means I'm not as stressed out right now, lol.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are some places that my dreams land me in i've been to so many times i know them reasonably well.
    and yet they're a lot of different ones, and don't have direct equivalence to the geography of this one.

some things work a little strange in the sense of working their own way.
    including things that don't work in this world that are normal in that one.

teleporting for example. books and computer screens work the same there as here though.

10. Xavierre Boncoeur

Xavierre Boncoeur Members

Jimbee68, I have heard about similar people like you so you are not alone in this.

11. Wow, that's really interesting. I don't dream a lot lately, but I don't really experience what you have described. Places that only exist...well, I don't know, 'cause I don't know every place that exists. I have been to places I've only been in dreams before.

12. oscar eatseveryone

oscar eatseveryone Feel like the devil is attacing me

I use to have dreams that I couldn't fight off I be supper tired and as soon as I lade down I was dreaming parolizing dreams I couldn't wake from mostly someone chasing me even being aware I was dreaming fighting so hard to wake up and when I did I could feel it trying to force me back to sleep and right back at it again.4 or 5 times a year till I was 40 years old and I noticed this strange feeling of chouck before I'd have these dreams like some kind of warning.and some of my dreams come true

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

continued on next dream, yes, i have experienced that quite a lot.
    also geography consistent from one dream to the next, completely re-arranged, or even unrelated, to any in this one we're awake in.

i still think its possible, in at least some dreams, we are waking up in parallel universes when we sleep here.

my experience isn't in playing video games but in creating and illustrating such parallel worlds and even universes.
    as such they are seldom about conflicts, but more often the pleasure i get from experiencing an aesthetic kind of strangeness.
    one that is fully emercive, and complete enough to be totally believable, at least to me.

14. wilsjane

I have never played a video game in my entire life and I was dreaming long before their invention.
    But one of the strange phenomenons in my dreams is that I can tense my muscles, leading to me lifting a few inches off the ground and then move around at about the same speed as a motorbike, without any physical action. I am usually lost and trying to get home.

themnax likes this.
  15. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Occurs to me so often. My place is a swamp near the river. It is silent and clean, warm, pure water and green plants but no animals, no people, and no sounds. I walk in the shallow water and enjoy the unreal bliss of being far from everyone and everything. When I wake up i always want to find that place. Sometimes I even take a stroll to find it. How silly am I?

I go further. It happened I could see fragments of dreams while awake and standing. One time I came back home from school and was so tired I decide to rest a couple of minutes on the bed. Went asleep and woke up in minutes, and goddmmit, I swear I was seeing black and white cats walking all over my bookshelves. And before you ask I wasn't taking substances :D , not even booze or tobacco :\

themnax likes this.
  16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I had this dream on Saturday night that almost made me question what constitutes a dream and what constitutes possession, because somehow i was looking through the eyes of someone else.

I was the only son of a super-rich family living in a large mansion but instead of being black, I was white.

When my parents came home with a group of my fellow college students, I somehow just knew my Father didn't have much respect for me, and my classmates thought I was a loser. I wasn't as smart as they were, I wasn't as athletic, and I wasn't as successful with women, but I still knew how to play the rich game. I instinctively knew how to demean my friends at every turn in order to gain the groups respect and favor.

There was no detail that was lost upon me, as if i was truly seeing through the eyes of someone else, someone real.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anything can happen in a dream, whatever universe in might or might not be able to awake.
    makes me pretty sure the universe or universes mine take place in, isn't ever the same one i wake up in.

i do have several homes, one to a dream, that are, i mean, places, that absolutely feel like home in them,
    that aren't quite anything like any place i live or have ever lived in waking life.

hotwater likes this.