Weighing the pros and cons of LSD.

Discussion in 'LSD - Acid Trips' started by Share the Warmth, May 17, 2007.

1. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I'm considering tripping on LSD for the first time in the next few weeks. I've been smoking occasionally for a full year now and I've tripped on shrooms once. Do you think I'm ready for LSD, or should I wait? I've done some research myself but I'd like to hear the risks and benefits of LSD from people on this forum. I've heard stories of people who've discovered incredible insights about themself through LSD and there are of course the stories about mental illness that began to manifest itself after an LSD trip.

It does seem like a gamble, but how risky is it really? Risky as in long term effects, I'm not afraid of a bad trip.

There is always this quote that beckons me:

I've also discovered that marijuana has had a profound impact on my ability to understand myself, especially in the last few months. So I'm not the type who gets wasted just to hang out or party or anything. In fact I find myself unable to find much interest in partying when I am high.

I am definitely into this possibility for the insight and possible revelations it might bring and not as much just having fubn.

2. short-man420

short-man420 Member

i have 2 hits waiting for me, i'm hoping to take one either tonight or tomorrow

i've weighed the pros and cons of side-affects, there's really none to speak of unless you have a severely bad trip which might trigger somesort of mental illness, but there is usually a history of mental illness with people that this happens to

i've been mostly wierded out by the chance of a bad trip, since i don't know what to expect, i've heard it's just like a major panic attack, which i get all the time from many different substances occasionally, but i'm going to be tripping alone since no one is willing to try acid with me, and i just don't know if i'll have my head straight enough to talk to myself in a way that i could settle myself down like i usually do, but when i think of the bad trip i had on shrooms, i was able to keep my head semi-straight, but it wasn't at a very high dosage, just a wierd atmosphere.

i personally think that the environment i'm going to be tripping in is possibly THE BEST that i have access to and i think i can be quite comfortable even if i start to freak out a little bit. plus i'm also trying to have a spiritual journey, so having a semi-bad trip wouldn't be horrible.

it seems that we both have the same problem, but you have the heads side of the coin, and i have the tails, i don't think you should worry about any psychological damage unless you have a history of mental illness in the family. i hope you have a good trip if and when you decide to do it

buy the ticket, take the ride

3. seanydizzle

seanydizzle Member

i'd suggest you (both) get someone experienced in acid or a really good friend you can trust to be with you (even if they dont trip) to calm you down in the case of a bad trip if its your first time. i havent done acid yet but it's what i've been told and will be doing and it only makes sense to relay the info.

4. PsychMyke

PsychMyke Senior Member

to be honest, if you guys are at a good point in your life and you both feel well grounded (set) and you will be tripping with your pals in a situation in which nothing can go wrong (setting)...you are going to have a wonderful time. LSD is a fantastic substance, it's not one of those psychedelics that are weird and overly intense that people do just for the experience to say "ive been there", it can be at higher doses, but it can also be very recreational. Sometimes i use lsd for the spiritual side, sometimes I use it as a party drug depending on what mood im in...but as a whole, even when i want to be spiritual with my trips, the feelings produced by LSD are genuinly pleasurable. Make sure you have music...Music is key, if you dont have full access to a wide range of tunes i personally wouldnt trip. Make sure you have some herbs if you guys smoke alot, some glowsticks, some movies and make a night of it....and remember...the only thing you have to fear is fear itself...i quote another hipforum user on that but i forget who said it...good advice though. YOu guys will have a great time, LSD is beautiful.

5. short-man420

short-man420 Member

yeah, i was hoping to have some buddies with me, but everyone's either out of town, or partying, and this is like my perfect opprotunity to dose too

so i was thinkin in my room, well lit, with a constant playlist of music, movies, video games, all that shit, just keep myself in my room for the trip *or as much of it as possible* and just chill out and enjoy myself, any objections? if you have any speak freely

6. PsychMyke

PsychMyke Senior Member

that depends really, i know for my first time dosing alone wouldnt have been a good thing...but i know alot of people who love to dose alone. It wouldnt be a problem for me now, ive done it before, but when you do it alone it gets very introspective and you tend to dwell alot....lets just say my life isnt one i like to dwell over so i prefer to dose with friends. Im not gonna tell you its a bad idea, cause i dont know you, if you think you can handle i say go for it...if you dont think you can then i would wait it out.

I will tell you that LSD can play some serious tricks on your mind, and if you start plunging into a bad trip your first time and theres no one there to help you out then it could get real ugly real fast. Especially if its something your concerned about anyways.

7. Glordag

Glordag Member

You sound like a pretty level-headed person, so I'd say you'll probably be fine doing it alone. I wouldn't be worried about long-term effects at all. There's definitely the chance of having a bad trip, but if you keep a calm attitude you'll come out of it just fine.

8. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I would be doing it at a music festival with an old friend and a friend of his. The same situation I was in when I tried shrooms. I think it will depend on what kind of time I'm having there. If we meet a lot of cool, positive people and we can support each other I'll do it.

9. Peter Popper

Peter Popper Tripper

after my first trip about 5 weeks ago, i just couldnt imagine doing it at like a music festival, not unless it was like a GOA party and everyone was tripping. cause for me at this like small party it got so overwhelming and intense, and i was just standing their hudled in a corner freakin out and people were going in and out of doors and talking really lound and in my mind it was the most violent hard to understand thing. just like in fear and loathing where he see's the guy screamin, but its jsut the acid. i guess it depends where your head takes you.

but honestly after dosing once, im not sure id be ready to dose by my self in my room, no mater how many glow sticks and fun stuff i had. if it turns bad, which it is possible, its somthing that just simply isnt worth the chance. cause it will be the worst experience of your entire life without a doubt. is it somthing your willing to risk?

10. asilos vulnerado

asilos vulnerado Senior Member

Whenever I trip by myself I always stay outside for the entire trip. I find being alone inside is almost nerveracking.

If your responsible, know what your doing, are careful, and want to use LSD for more intellectual reasons (as you stated) there are virtually no risks as long as you have no previous mental problems or a family background of them. As far as having a bad trip goes, a "bad trip" is entirely in your head. If your willing to freely accept everything you see or, more importantly, think than the chances of you having a bad trip are extemely low. Just make sure you have everything planned and that your in a good time in your life. Theres a psychedelic overview/guide thing on erowid which I found good to read before my first trip, just search for it:)

Also read "the psycehdelic experience" by Tim Leary and Ralph Metzner. That also helped me out with my first trip.

11. PsychMyke

PsychMyke Senior Member

Dude do yourself a favor, if your the least bit concerned about it, dont do it alone for the first time. A bad acid trip sucks worse then anything you can possibly imagine, especially if your alone for your first time. Its a drug that can play SERIOUS tricks with your head man, especially in that environment.

12. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Everyone's ready for LSD :) Don't worry about it, just make sure that you feel comfortable with everything, and when you start your experience, just relax, open your mind, and enjoy it :)

After your first time you'll see that there really is nothing to fear and in fact most or all of your fears will be greatly diminished.

13. PsychMyke

PsychMyke Senior Member

Haha, it would be cool if everyone was just automatically ready for LSD, but i know some people personally that shouldnt even smoke weed....let alone eat acid.