Weed and alcohol leagalizations

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by PeaceAndLove, Jan 6, 2005.

1. PeaceAndLove

PeaceAndLove Member

I'm doing a research paper for my english class and i need some opinions from people so..
    the topic is Should weed be legal over alcohol? because think of all the stuff that alcohol does and what weed does...should they both be banned? legal? tell me what you think. And also if you think they should both be legal, what should the regulations be like age, sales, things like that. Thanks :)

2. aoacoder

aoacoder Member

Alcohol is a social evil in the wrong hands, but we can't have the double standard. In some people alcohol promotes recklessness were as i've never seen anyone become more open to thinking on weed (perhaps a little sleepy). If it was my world it would be pot legal and alcohol not but it's not my world and I beilive everyone should have freedom of choice.

In short, you leave a small group of drunks around a table with two 60 pounders of hard liqour, in a half hour, they'll be dead. Leave two ounces of dope in a room with a small group of stoners and in a half hour, they'll all be asleep(or painting, or thinking, or ... the list goes on).

3. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What if you do both?

*giggle*

4. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Weed,alcohol,any drugs are potentially dangerous,,,,to certain people.I believe weed is the least dangerous,both physically,and mentally,and it actually helps some,unlike alcohol,or tobacco."With dope theres hope.....with booze,you loose".

5. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Personally, I think that alcohol and cannabis should be treated the same, but not the way alcohol is now.

Both should be legal to manufacture/grow for your own use, with no commercial sales allowed. This eliminates corporations from promoting things that are potentially harmful to public health, and keeps the government from getting into the situation of discouraging consumption while becoming dependent on the tax revenues, like they currently do with alcohol and tobacco.

Wanna get high? Plant some seeds. Wanna get drunk? Try homebrewing.

6. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I like that idea, seems like an excellent solution... :D

7. JohnnyATL

JohnnyATL Banned

No cause then there would be all that bullshit about underground crime and terrorism associated with the growing. Not everyone would grow. I think if weed were ever to become legal it would definitly be taxed like crazy by the feds

8. *Doormouse

*Doormouse Member

I would suggest that you do a paper on prohibition in general. In my experience to be straightforward and practically title your paper as a legalization issue will turn off those you most need to reach.
    So in addressing the topic of prohibiton in general you can begin with a substance (alcohol) that most use. Talk about how alcohol was once the cannabis of today.
    Most of all ( depending on the paper, like either a regular synthesis or argumentative etc.) be objective. I know it is difficult, but professors seem to put a lot of stock in things like that. Good luck, and remember oftentimes information can be more effective than the most persuasive opininon.
    I did my final paper on hemp legalization and my professor was your typical republican uninformed american and the power behind the truth of the matter was what won her over
    good luck