wedding dresses?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by PrincessJewel, May 9, 2006.

1. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

haha i have a couple years for this...but my sis sent me links to hemp wedding dresses which were nice..but not the style im lookin 4. i was wonderin if any of you m arried ladies have pics of ur wedding dresses or any suggestions for sites with cheap, simple wedding dresses. i tried to look up on google but didn't get a whole lot..i haven't found what i'm looking for yet. but a while bak i did see in some bridal magazine an idea of what im looking for..that was like last year when i was browsing in my roommate's magazine...hah..so yea thanks for your help!

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

if you have any sewing skills, you could purchase some nice white fabric, a pattern, and maybe some beading/lace/something as a decorative touch. Personally, I'm a big fan of a nice well fitted top, simple square neck with straps wide enough to cover bra straps, and an a-line skirt. You could put a sheer over the skirt too, add a little oomph while keeping it simple. Or you could bribe a friend/family member with sewing skills to help ya out heehee

3. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

not exactly what im looking for..thats more of the traditional style. i cant sew anyhow. my sis could...but i dunno if she'd wanna make my wedding dress hah!
    but thanks for ur response

4. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

what ARE you looking for? i had amy/may of jahumba designs make mine (she posts here, in the fashion and crafts forum)...but it was kinda a hippie dress, casual. that suited my wedding cause it was outdoors. there's also cre, and supermommy, they make nice stuff too.

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I had a plain white satin sleeveless gown. No beads, no lace, no frou frou, but still beautiful in its simplicity. It's a size 12, designed by Jessica McClintock, if you wanna buy it! LOL I'd have to either scan a photo or go through my cd's to find a pic....

6. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

hmmm that sounds a lil like something im lookin for. sleeveless and simple...not tight. ill check out the other people celtgrrl mentioned...but like i said im in no hurry. im just interested to see whats out there

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I got married in Jan of 1986. I bought an off white Bridesmaid's gown. Wedding dresses are obscenely expensive. There are some lovely bridesmaid dresses available a lot less money than a "Bridal" dress.

I'm really small, too, and when I got married, the style was all big flowers and bows and puffy arms ect. Not to mention all the beading and lace and crap that I would never wear. So, I picked out a pretty, hoop skirt bridesmaid dress. By the time I ordered it, I was pregnant, and the womyn who does the alteration was like, "Oh, just because you are expecting doesn't mean you can't have a nice REAL wedding gown." I explained to her that I had the dress picked out BEFORE I got pregnant.

The first dress I picked out was a pretty, all cotton Laura Ashley. But, it was $470.00 and I thought that was way too much for a dress I was going to wear once. (I wouldn't pay that for a dress I would wear all the time.) I got my bridemaid dress for about $100.00. I paid about $20.00 for a little circlet of flowers and a tiny piece of lace to attach to it (just down to the middle of the back, NO veil over my face for me! ;) ) Now, this was 20 years ago, but the bridemaid selection is still really reasonable, compared to wedding dresses.

Also, the Gypsy Rose catalogue (I think you can access it from this site) has some lovely all cotton or hemp dresses. My dd Moon says if she gets married some day, she'll get her dress from Gypsy Rose.

If you like more classic wedding looks, Chadwicks.com has reasonably prices wedding and bridesmaid dresses.

8. Maggie Sugar

9. Maggie Sugar

10. Maggie Sugar

[​IMG] [​IMG]Heres more. They have more than 10 pages of dresses, beautiful stuff. I wish this catalogue had been around when I got married.

11. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

If you want a nice, "hip" wedding dress - PLEASE do the world a favor and buy it from a real person, a clothing designer, someone who makes stuff themselves, rather than a company that imports sweat-shop labor and calls it "cool". There are so many of us mamas and papas out there who do REALLY nice, unique work - and most of us will work with customers on price issues...

12. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

13. Maggie Sugar

I am glad you make dresses, that is pretty cool.

But, Gypsy Rose has also been around for more than 15 years, and is a VERY socially responsible business. They support Doctors without Borders, many programs which help womyn support their families in the third world and in this county and do not do business with ANY sweatshops.
    Here is an other of their projects.
    http://www.gypsyrose.com/arya.asp

14. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

my best friend bought my dress for me in SanFrancisco at a demo sale. It had been worn once in a bridal fair fashion show type thing. It would have cost more than the dress did to have it "heirloomed" or whatever they call it when they pack it away for you to keep forever... Ebay has lots of wedding dresses, too. None of my local consignment stores will take wedding gowns, or I'd have sold it long ago.

my first wedding dress was lilac colored silk with ivory lace over it mermaid-style dress (haha - that dates things, doesn't it?) that my mom made for me.

15. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

yea im thinkin of having one made from a friend or something like that...probably cheaper, and i'll get it to look how i want it haha.
    thanks for all your comments and help.

16. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Go to a fabric store (Jo-Anns is the best of the big ones, IMO) and flip through the pattern books to see what you like. When you eventually have someone who you know will make it and you agree, if you decide to go with a commercial pattern (or fabric for that matter), the store employees can usually help you get the best deal possible on it. My bf works for Jo-Anns, and there is a bit of play in their prices - so usually with a little time you can take advantage of sales and coupons to do really well...

17. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

the dress my mom made ended up being more expensive than buying one off the rack somewhere... but it fit me perfectly, and was exactly what I wanted :)

18. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Lol !

19. The woman in the picture actually was a prostitute lol. I remember that whole scandal.