Wedding date?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jul 4, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

So I've technically never been to a wedding. My best friend (since we were 5 years old) is getting married soon. We've been drifting apart though more and more as each year passes. I actually don't feel totally comfortable being made her maid of honor. It sort of makes me nervous. I also know I'll be an emotional wreck, I imagine I'll start bawling. I'm also not a firm believer in marriage, but I guess that's besides the point.

That was sort of a vent, I guess I'm looking for advice.

but my question really is, who do you think I should take as my wedding date? or is it better to go alone? I am thinking about taking a female date. Would that seem kinda weird though? Should I ask a male friend instead?..

2. wobs

wobs Senior Member

go with someone you feel comfortable with

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you're in the wedding and you're not in a relationship I wouldn't bother with a date, honestly. They'll have to show up alone, sit alone, and they'll have to go to the reception alone because you'll be busy taking pictures right after the wedding. You'll be putting your date in an awkward position.

4. RainyDayHype

I thought about this and I'd really like someone to hang out with when I'm not having to do those things. Hm.
    Hmmmm. Well I'll let whoever I end up asking know that I'm in the wedding and they will have to be alone sometimes.

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I'd go alone if I knew at least several people who are going to be there.
    If I didn't know anyone I'd bring a date/friend, for the company!

6. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Don't stress I'm sure you'll find some sucker...um I mean willing person to accompany you.

7. RainyDayHype

I can honestly see myself not showing up to the wedding and I feel selfish with those thoughts because I know it's her day. I still havn't gotten my dress and she keeps pressuring me to. I'm pretty broke and I actually thought the bride provides the dresses for the maid of honor/bridesmaids. I guess it's not always the case. I have a lot going on in my life right now and I'm stressed out and I'm sure she is too with the wedding planning. I'm just hoping she doesn't become a bridezilla.

8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Not a firm believer in getting married but weren't you married? o_O

9. RainyDayHype

Very briefly. That's a long story. We made a mockery of the whole thing. I wore combat boots and fairy wings. It was like a kids party...
    thus, I am not a firm believer.

10. RainyDayHype

but damn, our wedding band kicked some ass!

11. RainyDayHype

12. Mike Suicide

One of my best friends had an Elvis wedding in Vegas.....it didn't last 2 years.

Vegas wedding never last imo.

13. RainyDayHype

thought about having it there, but my wedding wasn't in vegas...
    it was outdoors, in a garden, in california

14. Mike Suicide

shoulda don't it at Hooters.

15. RainyDayHype

You can have a wedding at hooters?

nope, I loved the garden

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

You could pick up a date at the wedding. Lots of drunk and willing guys usually.

17. RainyDayHype

Wanna go? Then we can hit up hooters afterwards.

18. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Take a female friend, she can be your wingman.

19. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Well being a recent bride, I can give you a few words of advice. First, find out what exactly the bride expects of you. Maid of honor can just be a title, or it can mean a whole hell of a lot of expenses and responsibility. Most brides expect the maid of honor to throw a bachelorette party and a bridal shower. If she isn't already aware of your financial situation, make sure to let her know ASAP so if she expects those things she can delegate them to someone else. And see if she minds you finding a similar dress in the same color as the bridesmaids, because you can find nice dresses in a whole range of prices. My bridesmaids paid $40 and $60 for their dresses (which I know may still be too steep). Be completely honest with her about money being tight, someone is already shelling out money for her ceremony, so maybe they (whether it's her, her future husband, or their families) could swing one dress for you. You're honestly a very important part of the wedding so you might be surprised at what they're willing to take care of so you can be there and dressed for the occasion.

As far as dates go, two of my bridesmaids were married. One of them's husband was actually in the grooms party, so that worked out great. The other one's husband was not, but after our brief photo shoot, he sat with his wife, me, and my maid of honor at dinner. I had already known it was likely he was coming, so it was no big deal, but let the bride know if you're bringing a friend so she can make sure she's not feeling awkward and left out.

20. RainyDayHype

Thank you for the advice.

We are both going through a lot right now and I really feel like we can't be there for eachother. It kind of sucks. When she first announced her engagement, she actually said she wasn't able to choose between me and another friend as being made of honor and I guess she wants to have two maids of honor. I told her I didn't feel up to it and that the other friend should be maid of honor but I guess she still wants me to do it. She's aware of my my financial situation, yes. And she also knows I'll bring a date. She knows I'm awkward in social situations and will need someone to cling to..
    I'm honestly just not feelin' it though. This is unsettling in the pit of my stomach.