We waited years for this Black hole photo???

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

To most people ;)

2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

When they breathe.

3. Asmodean

Are you sure? Doesn't look like they're stargazing then to me.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

There was some feature about a contributor on this project getting trolled on a reddit-like site, or maybe it was reddit. I forget. But it said that the trolls tried to credit her participation/contribution completely to her male colleagues, making it seem like she hadn't accomplished anything. Her colleagues defended her though, and that's what the reporting was about.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I'm sure about nothing.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

That's your subjective assessment. Some people couldn't care less about music and may wonder what good it does.

Asmodean likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Observation (albeit indirectly ;)) taught me it's unlikely.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

There is scientific evidence regarding the effect of music on our brains.

But yes, of course it is mostly my subjective assessment. My subjective view of the world, looking around at what furthers the growth of the human soul.. (the belief in a soul also being subjective).. music is important.

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well i've figured out why it's exciting to me. Because it captures my imagination. It's just really fun to think about the weird things that exist out there. And something that captures the public's imagination surely must help evolve souls, I would think :)

Carl Sagan said it best actually - "
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."

It isnt really all that different from humanity's search for a higher power if you think about it. We all want to know if there's something greater than ourselves out there. (i'm not comparing black holes to God before someone misconstrues that lol, i'm just saying. There is so much in this universe that remains a mystery and humans, being who they are, have a natural curiosity and inclination to unlock the mystery)

Fun fact, Einstein played violin and piano and frequently played classical music to calm himself while he thought about his theories.

granite45 and lode like this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yep : ) In that David Eagleman thing I always mention, it says the one thing that was physically different about Einstein's brain was a part that was enlarged as a result of playing the violin.

And I appreciate your answers and reasons. It is a good reason. More than anything, it's important to question ourselves and our reasoning... in just the same way we question the Universe. If we don't unlock the mysteries of our own actions and likes and dislikes.. then we'll end up knowing more about the sky than ourselves.

13. Who needed this shoddy picture to stir their imagination when it comes to black holes? I suppose most Americans weren't even aware that black holes existed before this, though, so... But yeah, nothing about this picture was surprising to me at all.

And how could there possibly be anything greater than ourselves?

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You're clearly more of a self reflective person than I am :p
    I think i have more to say on that but it seems another topic for another thread

I'm not talking about the picture itself really, just black holes in general. They're quite fascinating.

But the image took 200 people a decade to put together, I wouldnt call it shoddy. And its kinda like criticizing an ultrasound picture for being shoddy, obviously it isnt going to look like a professional photograph because it isnt a photograph. Its an image produced from waves

Driftrue likes this.
  15. Black holes are fascinating, and this picture didn't do anything to make them any more or less fascinating. At best it inspired some kid to become a scientist, because he's like, "Wow! We can photograph black holes?! Cool!"

And he would think it was a photograph, because that's what every article is calling it. Notice I didn't call it a photograph; I called it a picture. They don't, though, because using literal terms for what it is would make it less sensational. Which goes back to human beings' obsession with our intelligence. Everything we do has to be something more important than it actually is.

I suppose you wouldn't call the first images of Pluto shoddy, either, because they took some effort, too. I would still just call them shoddy, because they're bad pictures. But again, that's human beings' obsession with being intelligent. Everything we currently have has to be far more impressive than it will be retrospectively.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Looks like we are going to need a solar system sized array to get much past images of blobs

Which is going to be a hell lot more expensive and a long long time

17. lode

lode Banned

Very little is significant with enough time. In a few 10^60 years or so, it appears the age of stars will be over, and that black hole will be finally radiating itself out of existance.

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's just dolphins...

"So Long and Thanks for the fish."

Delayed response and Obscure reference that I couldn't resist.

Driftrue likes this.
  19. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I saw that too....what sick garbage. Cmon guys get a clue.

20. How long 'til scientists develop Ice 9 and wipe us all out. Look at us, garbage seas, global warming. Intelligent folks, huh.

kushkush likes this.