ways you save money

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Wild Mountain Dave, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Wild Mountain Dave

Wild Mountain Dave Rainbow

I'm always looking for that next way to trim fat from my budget. what ideas have y'all tried or considered trying?

2. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

starving

good for shedding pounds too, :p

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

don't go anywhere and when i do only buy necessities as opposed to the all dumb shit u don't need.

don't waste so much things, like eletricity,gas,water,food ect.

4. Wild Mountain Dave

yeah, I heard that. I'm trying to figure out how to save on utlities right now. It's hard to do.

5. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

on things i know i go through a lot, i buy in bulk so i get price breaks - mainly from my supplements buy...

6. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

yeah, I buy everything I use in bulk (shampoo, conditioner, razors, toothpaste, etc)

do you belong to like a sam's club or BJ's?

7. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

We use our fireplace and go into the woods to find firewood.
    We've turned our thermostat down.
    We integrated our cable/net/phone to one bill
    Got rid of our cell phones
    Go to free events or spend times with friends.
    Bought a house with cheaper mortgage then our rent
    Car with 35 miles per gallon highway

We do not go the money saving route when it comes to the beer/liquor we drank or weed or food, gotta eat healthy. Always have those essentials around:)

8. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Not paying rent to a scumbag landlord is always a good saving scheme.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

get a hobby that makes you money...instaed of cutting the budget smaller..make the money available part bigger

10. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

unplug anything electronic while not in use. turn lights off when not in use,and dont use more lights than you need,keep your fridge and freezer as full as possible..
    those steps alone will reduce your power bill by more than you think.

if you have one of those crappy ass prefab fireplaces yank it out and cover the big ass hole that it is(absolutely worthless for heating and when not in use are just a big whole sucking your heat or cool out of your house). invest in a wood stove. that will save you a fortune.

11. Wild Mountain Dave

I like this dea alot

12. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I'm really bad when it comes to saving money. The only thing I can think of right now is that we're getting a wood burning stove for our new house. Like HHB said, it'll make a huge difference as we'll never have to turn the heating on.

13. Wild Mountain Dave

trying to do some of this now. need to get more serious about it though. It's just stupid to waste like that.

14. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

save electricity- we keep all lights off and use the window light, and at night just use light in one room.
    save water- we bathe together or use the smallest amount of water we can
    also, not flush if theres just pee lol, its still good for one more
    save gas- fuck, everything is gas here, we do our best, but i have to have the heater on all the way because its a big ass gappy house, but i have a part of the house blocked off. and we put sheets and covered the windows. dress extra warm.
    food- dont eat out at restraunts, buy only the food we need.
    telephone- we dont use cell phones, we have dial up, and no long distance, (use a card if we need to, still havent)
    car gas- if its walking distance, then just walk. but it hasnt been that cold here... we finally reached 10F today.

15. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

oh, candle light is a must, they have long burning candles for emergency kits at walmart, they last forever.....

and like BBAD said, when you do hobbies, like make things, sell em. then your having fun killing boredom and making money. smart guy.

16. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

We've switched to room air conditioners and heaters, which saves on electricity.

Unfortunately, we have ALL THREE major utilities ~ electricity, water and gas, which is only for the hot water heater. We need to switch it over, since there is a basic charge to even HAVE any given utility, so having gas for just one thing is ridiculous.

We live in a small town (population is under 15,000) so walking and riding a bicycle are pretty easy ~ the "main drag" is only about 5 miles long, and EVERYTHING is either On the main street, or Just Off the main street.

The cost of living is low, here, so a fixed income goes further.

My husband works for the State, based out of a prison that is only 5 miles (the other way) away, which saves on fuel, and because of our location, we always have lower-than-average fuel prices.

i try to buy enough herb to get a little break on the price ~ QP's, mostly. If it's good, i'll share it around, and try to get a little of my investment back. Right now, El Paso is screamming for the Feds to legalize ALL drugs because of the Drug Wars that are going on at the borders. If it is made legal, i'll just grow my own, saving a TON of money And heartburn! lol [It would truly SUCK if my hubby had to transport ME... :eek: ]

We eat pretty simply, and meat is cheap down here (naturally), so the grocery bills aren't bad, but i do buy the knock-offs if they're as good as the Name Brands. i use coupons when i can, and look for sales on Dr. Pepper (Dear's addicted to it, i kid you NOT!) and other essentials.

A big night out is going to a fast-food place, and we don't do THAT very often, anymore. :(

i'm seriously thinking about doing some research into these new Ameros ~ since it's all being pretty well glossed over, i suspect a conspiracy. :)eek: ~ HEY! Blame Rat! HE made me do it! :rofl:)

But just in case ... You know?

We have websites that make money for us, whether we're there, or not, to the tune of

{stand by...}

$100 + per month. They'd do better if i would focus on them, but right now, my life is sort of a mess...

Anyway, that's just one website, and we had plans to do several more, as well as keeping up with the one we already have. Since i can't work, it's a way for me to bring in something, at least.

i guess i "putter" ~ i grow plants that i hope to someday sell; i crochet hats and baby blankets for sale; we build some unique lamps, table lamps and floor lamps; stuff like that. (i loved it when Dear worked 4 on / 4 off ~ we actually had the TIME to do things. <sigh>)

i've found that if i don't know exactly how much is in our bank account, i'm MUCH less apt to buy impulsively, and could tell you, within about $1.50, how much the goods in my basket are going to cost. (Watch your herb bux evaporate into NSF check charges, and you get REAL cautious... lol)

i'm really not supposed to drink, so the occassional beer or two (only Miller High Life, but of course!) is all i can have at home. If i go out to the ranch, however, i have a FULL array of choices. After being around my family, Dear completely QUIT drinking. 'Nuf said. lol

Other than our pets, 2 cats and a dog, i can't think of anything else we spend money on, foolishly or otherwise...

Hope this helps! (i'm going to keep coming back for ideas for US, too!)

17. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

we cut our power usage in half once we committed to doing this. granted before we had every light in the house on 24/7 and never unplugged any electronics,so your results may not be quite that drastic but for us the difference was remarkable..

(note: due to rate increases over the last year our overall monthly bill only dropped by 15 dollars even though power consumption was cut in half. :( )

18. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

SEE??? THAT's what KILLS!

You cut down,

so THEY up the prices!!!

Cripes.

19. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

yeah, i make necklaces, baby blankets, used to paint used alcohol bottles, believe it or not they sold for 15 dollars a bottle!

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I go to the dumpsite every time Im near town...they have a recycling center where they sell stuff that was thrown out but still good...18 satellite dishes can be bought for 1-$3 and resold on kijiji or craigslist for $30-$50 depending on type....and tools....collectibles ...antiques...etc....Its a fun hunt and easy money.....and sometimes theres just great keepable stuff.....I bought an awesomely comfortable black leather computer desk chair for $10 last week

Its a fun hobby and saves money.....makes money...and it helps the landfill last longer by recycling:cool: