Way to fight the satellite companies

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by YankNBurn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Have you ever heard of FTA? It allows you to recieve loads of channels for free via satellite using a 31" dish. Systems are around $200.00 and no monthly fees. With the right firmware you can also grab them channels your not supposed to get.
    Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2020
  2. Dick Iceberg

Dick Iceberg Member

FUCK 'em nahwhatimean son ?

3. spooner

spooner is done.

What, exactly, is your problem with the satellite companies that makes this anything but theft?

4. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

stealing is wrong :D
    bwawhahahahaha oh i can't say that with a straight face :D
    yeah i already do...um no i don't...stealing is wrong!

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Stealing is wrong but they do have a long list of channels that are available for free.

6. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Trust me, there's a disgruntled Dish Network employee somewhere running an anonymous website with all that shit listed.

7. Pronatalist

Pronatalist Banned

If it is "theft" then why do the satellite companies still have what they had before?

Already they are sending the signals to everybody, and then extorting money from us consumers, by sabotaging satellite receivers to deny accesss. Show me what I am using up, if I get a "free" signal that goes out to everybody anyway?

And why is TV so expensive anyway, except that a bunch of consumerist morons are so willing to be suckered? Lauch a major boycott, and I would be very surprised if prices don't quickly start plummetting, perhaps even to be "free" commercial-sponsored like how TV started out, before the greedy, power-hunger corporate giants took it over.

But then even if you get the TV programming for free, they are still stealing from us consumers, because so much of what is on TV, is at best, a huge waste of our time.

Why pay for TV, when that only leaves me with less time to watch free TV. I have bunny ears on my digital HD TV. I refuse to pay one more montly fee.

8. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

There is a big difference in quality in small dish picture quality(like Direct TV) and the big dishes. Small dish companies use digitally compressed signals which are comprised of rebroadcasts of the signals they pick up from the main feeds from the individual station satelites. With a big dish, the individual can pick up the main feeds themselves without going through an inferior quality middleman. It is not stealing, unless you are decrypting scrambled pay service signals, most channels that can be picked up are not. It is exactly the same as if you pick up a radio station on a radio or a tv station on a tv with an antena. They are broadcasting their signals into your private property.

9. spooner

spooner is done.

Is your concept of theft really so one dimensional?

A satellite company provides a service: broadcast. Using this service without paying is stealing. The fact that they can't enforce it has nothing to do with the moral aspect.

If your accountant does your taxes and you refuse to pay him, is it stealing? Even though he still has everything he had before? The fact is, it comes down to property rights - and using somebody else's capital (whether physical like a satellite dish or human like an accountant's education) without paying is stealing.

10. Pronatalist

Pronatalist Banned

How does your example, have anything to do with what I said? An accountant who helps me file the unjust income tax, has lost his time, and has a reasonable expectation to be paid his fee. Well unless this accountant is your "friend" or relative and has done so, as a favor or because he likes you, and their was no discussion of any "fee" to be paid.

No, the satelite broadcast monopoly has just as much signal and just as much crappy TV programs, as they had before, and they are broadcasting their signals, via the public airwaves which everybody technically and legally owns. Do I have to pay for what I receive on my bunny ear antenna? No, commercials pay for that. What if some "free" broadcast I receive, is in a foreign language, and the English version is a "pay" channel? Would I be "stealing" if I happen to understand that foreign language? Of course not. So if somebody publishes on the internet how to decrypt or unlock those signals, how exactly would that be "wrong?" Did I give the satelite corporation monopolies permission to bombard my brain with all those RF frequencies, regardless of whether I want them or not? FYI, I don't have time to get around these rip-off-the-poor schemes. Rather, I boycott such unethical broadcasting or selling models. I don't think that greedy corporations should sabotage their signals to coerce us to pay, but make them more accessible to all. Even when people do pay, they still are sabotaged to not receive certain "premium" broadcasts, which I consider to be blantant disrespect of customers. Does my ISP arbitrarily block access to half of websites, just to pressure me to "upgrade?" Will that be the next money-making, money-squeezing tactic?

If I have to pay, why shouldn't I expect some personal, just-for-me service, and not merely access to what the technology already makes possible to use for free?

And for a disturbing article about out-of-control greedy corporations, especially Wal-Mart, visit http://www.corpocracy.net

11. spooner

spooner is done.

And the company didn't pay to broadcast the stations?

Your government did, and I'm assuming you live in a democracy, so yeah, you did.

You have a sense of entitlement to things you have no right to.

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We have an antenna. You don't get cable though, but I don't care.

EDIT:

We also subscribe to NetFlix.

wrat1 likes this.
  13. wrat1

wrat1 Members

not a proper analogy as NO the accountant does NOT have everything he did before the accountant lost the MOST valuable thing TIME