Water Filters THC, Myth or Fact?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by hallowedbethyname, Jan 26, 2005.

1. hallowedbethyname

hallowedbethyname Member

I was talking to somebody i know after I made an excellent four-chamber bong. I took it out, and immediately he said, "that thing wont work very well becuase there are so many filters." I was taken aback by this bold statement saying that THC is being trapped in the water. When THC is released from the bud, it is a vapor, which should not stick to other molecules (Especially H2O), although 'tar', i have heard it is trapped in the water somewhat, although slight. Is this really true, or does he just think he is too smart like the faggot he is?

2. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

First off, use the name Saget instead of the word faggot. "Is this really true, or is he just think he is too smart like the saget he is?"

Second, there's some truth to his statement. Here's a nice little article http://www.marijuana.com/pipestudy.php3

"Contrary to popular impression, waterpipes don't necessarily protect smokers from harmful tars in marijuana smoke, according to a new study sponsored by MAPS and California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). The reason is that waterpipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect. The study does not rule out the possibility that waterpipes could have other benefits, such as filtering out gases, but it suggests that other methods, such as the use of high potency marijuana, vaporizers, or oral ingestion are needed to avoid harmful toxins in marijuana smoke."

This could be entirely untrue, but your "friend" isn't just making shit up.

3. gottssunfire

gottssunfire Member

Even if water does filter out THC, the cooler smoke allows you to take monster hits. So it evens out.

4. mboz

mboz Member

worddd

5. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Yeh some is filtered out, according to tests they did.

and for your comfort of mind, the fact that a substance is gas (vapour) doesnt make it stick less. whenever a gas comes in contact with something, it will leave a trace of it on the object (ie assuming that the chemical isnt naturally a gas) no matter what it is. tar was found to have not actually been filtered by the water in a bong, chemicals were though

6. wrench

wrench Member

What the fuck is saget! if you want to say faggot say faggot!

for fucks sake people! if u want to say somthing say it! its the hippie spirit!

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

The one thing i hate the most about contemporary liberalism, is that its too protective. Liberalism started to liberate people from restriction, just as conservatism conserves rights to those who have power.

8. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

Bob Saget.

[​IMG]

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

by far the best line in a movie ever said by the most innocent man on television
    "i suck dick for crack" - Bob Saget - Half Baked

10. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Well, some studies have shown very small amounts of THC are absorbed in the water. I'd worry more about it condensing on the sides of all those chambers (but sweet concept nonetheless). Even then, most of it doesn't condense on anything except your lungs ;)

11. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

I read most of that article, and noticed one part, where they mentioned, that the cannabis used in that study, had a very low potency level, much lower then what we're all used to. So tha might also be a factor aswell, considering then the THC/tar ratio would be much higher when considering being used with a bong, or joint.

12. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh, except i would assume they were measuring ratios and took into account the original thc level in the smoke.

13. volatileBunny

volatileBunny Member

When the THC in the bud reaches a certain temperature, its crystals turn into a gas. This gas is mixed with smoke (smoke = air/gases and particles) of the same temperature. When any vapor comes into contact with something that's cold enough, it will condense (or in THC's case, recrystalize) onto the colder surface. This is the same kind of thing that happens when you take a hot shower and the mirror gets all foggy.

The whole point of a waterbong is to cool the smoke down (and filter out particles,) but we find that this difference in temprature would increase the amount of THC lost to the water.

The bottom line: "tar" isn't the shit that's causeing damage (although it is a lung irritant, but your lungs know how to remove particles, you breathe a shitload of dirt and dead-skin cells and shit all day;) radiation is what causes cancer in smoker's lungs. The following link is from Erowid and will give you more information about the radiation thing. Carcinogens are everywhere, in all sorts of things, but some are obviously worse than others, so smoke happy, smoke proud, because cannabis is and has been one of the safest psycoactive substances known to man for thousands of years! Billions of smokers can't be wrong!

14. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

You forgot to add the link...

15. TeaWithATwist

TeaWithATwist Banned

Thanks for that Bunny, first time I've seen that explained in a way that made sense. Although wouldn't using Hot water still filter the smoke, while not reducing the amount of THC very much? I'm sure it would still cool the smoke, seeing as it's hotter than hot tap water.

THC is also deposited on the side of a regular pipe, so you loose potency there as well. With a joint THC would also stick to the roach be it weed or paper that most Europeans use. I'd think this would also cause you to loose potency.

I still stand by my opinion that a Bong will give you the most THC compared to a joint or regular pipe. I have been just smoking joints recently because all my pieces were filthy and I didn't want to clean them. I'd smoke a few joints that were probably about .7g each, and would obviously be high but not very.

After cleaning both my Bong and Bubbler I couldn't even finish a bowl from my Bong before spacing out and being totally gone. The bowl I usually use holds about a gram of Bud, so with the same (or less) amount I get MUCH higher from my bong compared to joints. I don't use my spoons often, but they've never had the "power" of my bong.

16. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

I went back and checked it out.. thi is from the study.

"This disturbingly poor ratio may be explained by the low potency of the NIDA-supplied marijuana used in the study, which was around 2.3%.".

so no, i don't think they took into account the low potency of the cannabis. Which is unfortunate, cuz if they did, maybe the results for higher potencyies that we all use, may be more pleasing.