Watching the English by Kate Fox

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Sebbi, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Has anyone read this?

It's an anthropological study of the English aimed both at the scolars but more for the "intelligent layman". It's a good read, it's very funny.

The idea is that she lays down the unwritten rules of the English from a neutral viewpoint.

It's interesting because you read them and start noticing that you yourself stick to them more than you'd like to think.

An example - the English mania for queing (in Europe we are seen as slightly odd in how much we que, which I wasn't even aware of until I read this - I just thought that whenever I go to Germany [I'm half German] those little old ladies are quite rude at the bus stop but oh well such is life). Fox quotes someone who says "The Englishman, on his own, form an orderly que of one." and then goes on to describe how indeed this is true, at a bus stop we form a que, we stand facing the direction the bus would come in, and directly under the sign as if there were people who were going to line up behind us.

Anyway - I'll let you read it yourself.

Blessings

Sebbi