watch this

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by LuckyStripe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

nevermind sorry :D

Use this thread to talk about your favorite foods.

2. Xac

Xac Visitor

I had pizza for dinner, and in a way i cant but help feel at least partly responsible for the creation of this thread.

3. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I'm still not sleeping. Hopefully soon....

I had pizza yesterday and pasta today. I love sea food, Thai food, mexican food, japenese food and cajun food the best.

4. Friend

Friend Banned

Pussy - and I don't mean the feline one.

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I want some french onion soup

6. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Oh, don't lie. Yes, you did.

And mmmm...french onion soup. So yummy.

7. Friend

Friend Banned

Ok, then, I'll be honest for once, I like to eat cats. You know those infested with bacteria that we find eating garbage - mmm - what a delight!

8. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Acceptance is the first step. I'm proud of you.

9. Duck

shush, you are making me crave it more :p

is it fucked up that I'm thinking about visiting my grandma just so we can find a diner near her apartment that sells french onion soup?

10. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

^You started it. I wasn't even thinking about it and now I am.

11. MadEyeMoody

MadEyeMoody Member

u just havent tryed my grandma's "sarma" u dont know what are u missing

12. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Mmmm sounds good!

Sarma (food)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sarma in cabbage leaves

Sarma (sarma сарма, plural sarme сарми in most Southern Slavic languages, and sarmale in Romanian), is a word for a grape leaf or cabbage roll common to Southeastern Europe and adjacent areas. It is prepared in Armenia, Bulgaria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine, and in some other geographically and traditionally close countries. In Romania, the dish is most often referred to in the plural, as sarmale. Sarma means "wrapping" or "rolling" in Turkish, and is similar to its cousin dolma. Popular russian version is called "голубцы" (go-loob-tsy) and is usually made of cabbage leaves.

[edit]

Preparation

Minced meat (usually beef, pork, veal, or a combination thereof), rice, onions and various spices including salt, pepper and various local herbs) are mixed together and then rolled into cabbage or grape leaves. The combination is then cooked together in boiling water for few hours. The best cooking method is slow boiling in large clay pots. A special ingredient, zaprška, (flour browned in fat), is often added at the end of the process. Other fine-tuned flavors include cherry tree leaves.

Unlike other eastern European cultures, the peoples of south-eastern Europe overwhelmingly use sour cabbage (sauerkraut or kiseli kupus) as opposed to fresh cabbage. At the end of the harvest, families traditionally prepare the sour cabbage (as whole cabbage, not shredded as one might see in bottles of sauerkraut in the store), for sarma making.

Another kind of sarma are those rolled in (grape) vine leaves - smaller and with slightly different taste (see dolma).

Sarma is traditionally a heavy dish (though increasingly families are using healthier options such as olive oil or other oils instead of traditional pork fat). For this reason, sarma is most likely to be served during winter. Traditionally, they are served along with polenta or potatoes, which are sometimes mashed. Other optional but tasty add-ons include sour cream, yogurt and horseradish).

Cabbage rolls served in tomato sauce, though common in North America, are much less common in Southeastern Europe. And unlike its Polish or Ukrainian rivals, the sarma filling is predominately meat as opposed to predominately rice - in fact, it is only in recent times that rice has been added to sarma. Originally sarma was made with barley.

[edit]

Cultural significance

It is almost impossible to make sarma for a small amount of people, unless they are willing to help themselves to a king's feast. Families tend to boil a pot filled with sarme/sarmale. Sarma is often served as a main dish during wedding ceremonies. For diasporic communities of Southeastern Europeans, sarma is often cherished as a reminder of their former homelands.

They are also a well known in German Cuisine where they are known as Kohlrollen. They are eaten with traditional german sauerkraut and boiled potatoes.

13. Duck

cabbage = ew

14. MadEyeMoody

MadEyeMoody Member

rise and meat and cabage great mmmmmmm

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i have had dolmas. there were a lot of greek restaurants in portland oregon when i lived there and i love then. i'd have a couple of dolmas, a serving of spinicopita, (spinich souffle as far as i could tell), and a bakalava for desert. kind of like greek fast food.

(yes i realize dolmas may not be fast to make, but they can be kept made up and heated on the fly, or served cold)

i also ate a lot of souvlaki, if i'm remembering right that's a kind of greek taco, served in a bread that's kind of like a rolled up pancake, filled with lamb meat in a kind of sour cream sauce.

my other favorites, the things i make for myself most often, are noodle/pasta based dishes often with some kind of meat in them, but mushrooms, onions and cheese instead of meat is good too. also fish and sweat and sour. even clam and garlic instead of tomatoe on speggets.

canned tomatoes make a quick and easy caccatori in the oven, just poored over chicken parts in a pyrex dish and stick it in there for an hour.

dang i'm getting hungry. i think i'll go and make some hamburger and noodles now.
    then head for the store to get my powdered chocklet that i'm almost out of, along with some shrooms and whatever else i find at a good price.

=^^=
    .../\...