Washing Clothes?

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by ScreamingMisanthrope, Jun 11, 2006.

1. ScreamingMisanthrope

ScreamingMisanthrope Member

Hey,
    quick question - washing clothes in a machine seems to be a waste of energy and water - so I was thinkin about just bustin out a washboard soon and doin that - but I was wonderin:
    1. Using natural detergent/soap stuff that biodegrades and all that - we plan on growing vegetables in our yard so I assume just dumpin it out onto the lawn would be a bad idea, or would it even matter? or should i just dump it down the sink drain just in case?
    2. Collecting and purifying stream/rain water should work right? I mean if it's drinkable once purified that should be able to do the trick - so iodine tablets? or pump - is one better for the environment than the other?
    3. Any other suggestions? we have a decent sized yard big enough to hang clothes lines and shit so... that should cover it i believe?
    THANKS!
    ~Dan

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You can dump your grey water directly into areas of landscaping. Grass, shrubs are fine, but you want to avoid veggies. Some folks do use grey water for vegetable irrigation, but this is typically done sub-surface and is really not recommended. Providing you have adequate drainage in your yard you should be fine dumping it into the bushes.

If you are using stream or rainwater just to wash clothes there is no need to treat it to be potable, unless I am totally underestimating how polluted you stream is.

Most definately hang your clothes out to dry, dryers take the most energy.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

make sure you have the right to collect the water. Here, you can get fined if you collect rainwater!
    (So I have my barrel behind the bushes and move it before the leaves fall)

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

And what reasons do they powers-that-be give for such a restriction? I don't get it. It this a statewide thing in CO or local ordnance?

5. drumminmama

I'm quite close to S Platte drainage and the state technically owns water with right to use it granted.
    the theory is that if everyone captured rainwater, none would flow to creeks and rivers.

6. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

Just dont wash them;)

7. ScreamingMisanthrope

haha, yea - that's usually how it goes - but you gotta wash them sometime!

8. Yell

Yell Member

I would be interested in knowing where to get a washboard and natural soap to hand-wash my clothes. This is something I've thought about for a while...I just don't know where to begin.

9. kida

kida Member

Also, you definitely don't want to use iodine tablets as these would totally stain your clothes

10. magnalodium

magnalodium Member

Use gaseous carbontetrachloride. It what used to be used in drycleaning and damn does it work!

11. chrismith

chrismith Member

you can probably find a washboard at a garage sale....my mom had some old antique ones she got on the cheap.

12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Next time you are looking to buy a washing machine, strongly consider a front loader. They use far less water ie >60L/cycle, less electricity ( top loaders use at least 140L /cycle just for the small ones). As an experiment I once did a cold water wash and turned every appliance off in the house. At the end of the wash, the meter had not even up by 1kw/h. Afterwards I took a note of all the power consumption components of the machine and worked out it would be about the same as leaving a 100W light on for about 90 minutes.

An added bonus is that your clothes last longer with front loader over a top loader.

When it comes to choosing a particular model I prefer one that is made in my country of origin as getting parts for a fully imported one can be much harder.

I would start a protest about that. Are duel flush toilets madatory where you are? If not you could try talkiing a bit of common sence to the authorities.

For years I drank my tap water until I found out it was not as clean as it was supposed to be.

13. drumminmama

1.6 gal in new construction is mandatory.
    Given how the streamdrainage and flow works in Colorado, and given the law, this is reasonable. As it is, the Colorado River on the western Slope no longer reaches the Sea of Cortez (thank you Las Vegas, Phoenix and LA and all the golfcourses and foutains that use the water)

14. ScreamingMisanthrope

haha, yea - that didn't even cross my mind... nice catch

15. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Downunder duel flush toilets are mandatory for new buildings and replacement cisterns. The modern ones are 3L ( when flushing a wee) or 6L for the full works.

I don't think it would really be an infringement of civil liberties to ban the sale of top loading washing machines in favor of front loaders. Think of the common good.

16. pschool

pschool Member

try using doctor bronner's magical all in one organic soaps, they're an amazing for soap, shampoo, toothpaste, or whatever

17. TheStaticHippy

TheStaticHippy Member

That is exactly what I was going to say! I love that soap so much.

18. brownxfoot

brownxfoot Member

I feel you could find something on ebay or even make on of your own.
    i don't know how you would not bein totally hand but i feel you could

19. pschool

pschool Member

yes, "eternal father eternally one!"

20. plume7reaction

plume7reaction Member

I know what you're talking about. I think that, even if you don't hand wash (actually, doing an OCCASIONAL load by machine water may be less wasteful than handwashing...Ive tried), you should try to hang up your clothes because dryers are terribly non-energy efficient.