Was the waiter flirting with me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by Falaskan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Falaskan

Falaskan Member

I cannot tell and I could use some advice, because I don't want to be played. Here is what went down in a nutshell:

I went to a new restaurant down the street from where I work with my supervisor. The waiter was around my age and attractive but I didn't think much of it at first. However the waiter was very friendly with me, I'd say more so then with my supervisor. After checking my ID for an alcoholic drink he made sure to tell me he has no reason to doubt me, and then started using my first name whenever he'd talk with me. At first I didn't really respond much, thinking it was a little personal but later on he pointed out my name on my keychain and said he had the same first name. I was getting the hint, I think. I said something like, yeah, the downside is we're always the first to get pockets and drunk calls, etc. and we both laughed.

It was my first time there and I mentioned that in passing when I sat down, so I ordered exactly what he suggested to me at the time, which made him smile. Once in a while I began to check him out as he walked by, I can't be positive, but I think he noticed, once I think he smiled about it to himself.

As we were done, he began to tell me that "if I enjoyed what I had, I should come back for more." I finished his sentence and agreed that I would. My supervisor paid and left the tip. Since it was my belated birthday lunch, the tip wasn't that great but not that bad. You'd think if he had been fishing for tips it might disappoint him. But on the way out the door he made sure to call out to me (and me alone) by name and said he hoped I'd be back.

So with all of that said, do you think he was flirting with me or just fishing for tips? Maybe he knew I was attracted to him, and played me like a violin. Maybe he was truly attracted, what do you think? All i can say is I have never had such friendly service as that before. I will probably go back, how long should i wait to go?

2. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

sounds like he likes you go back in a week or what not.

3. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

It certainly sounds possible that the waiter is flirting with you. I'd go back in a week or so.

4. squibbles

squibbles Member

Waiters do shit to customers all the time. They just want tips. Or sex and tips. Tip them, see if it goes some where. If it does keep doing it, inform your friends. Then the crime stoppers, not the police.. (crime stoppers you get a 500 dollar reward, there on my speed dial #4, the first three are my bitches..) theyll cut you a deal, set up a sting and fuck them over! That's all this world has come to these days. Fucks and overs. so fucksover on a muffucka

5. KewlDewd66

KewlDewd66 Member

The Pope is catholic and yes, the waiters fish for tips and positive comments with their restaurant managers. Amazingly so, quite a few people really have to work in order to pay their bills, regardless if they enjoy their work or not.

A few people are looking for some additional benefits for their serving the public. Sex is one of them. If you connect all is good and fun can be had by all.

Judging by the way he focused on you as opposed to your supervisor, I'd say that he was trying to establish some contact which goes beyond the usual. If you are interested in checking where this could take you to, stop by next time around, leave a decent tip and put in your private card with your cell phone number on it. If he really means it, he'll be texting you soon.

KD

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind rule the body?

I don't know.

7. Falaskan

Falaskan Member

Well I went back, and it was a disastor! the place was very full (it was friday after all, but at the same time on Monday, it was empty). I sat by the window instead of the bar and was too nervous to make any obvious moves. He ended up not being my waiter, and I tried to observe him with other customers. He seemed more rushed and not as chatty as before but he was still friendly as before and I noticed that one of the waiters say goodbye to the customers whenever they leave, so it must be company policy. He was near my area once in a blue moon, but I didn't want to seem desperate and make a scene so i tried to play it cool. Once he noticed, I did the whole smile and half nod thing. He did too and then asked me what I had planned for the weekend as I was in the middle of stuffing my face with food. As i swallowed I said I was getting a root canal (which is true lol) and not much beyond that was said because he was not my waiter. Either he is not interested like I thought, or just as nervous about making a scene as I was. He may have looked in my direction a few times, but only because he was walking in that direction. I am starting to think the flirting was all in my head (as it ususally is) which really depresses me. I always let me nerves get the best of me and it is pathetic!

8. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

You would really have to go later in the evening or day depending on when you think his shift ends. There is no way, even if he was interested he could make it obvious while he is still working. That could mean the end of his job.

Plan around going later and maybe even do that more than once. If he is interested it is more likely you are going to find out when he is finished his shift.

Good luck. :)

9. Falaskan

Falaskan Member

i was almost too crushed to try again, but i may. I really connected with him for some reason the first time. I have never dated a guy before tho, and I feel like my clumsy way of handling things gave him a horrible impression. I am pretty sure he doesn't work nights, so I will have to try again midday sometime. but i feel like a jerk. I will try the craigslist missed connections thing too.

10. Galaskan

Galaskan Member

Falaskan, first of all I love the user name, :p

Don't judge the reaction too quickly during a rush on a friday. Go during the week during a time that isnt too busy. At that time you can usually request a waiter, or at the least find out when the cutie is working if he isn't there. Leave your number with the tip, I like that idea.

Don't get discouraged. If he was focusing on you more than anyone else in the party the last visit there is something going on there.

I have worked in a busy restaurant myself and it is really difficult to even talk to your own customers let alone the guy you saw a week ago sitting in another area. Almost impossible if you want to keep your job. Just hop back on a monday-thursday when it isnt going to be a lunch or dinner rush. It can't hurt to give it another shot. Best of luck to ya!

11. Falaskan

Falaskan Member

Well I finally went back and he was my waiter, which was nice. He smiled, remembered me, and we chatted about different things. That is not abnormal in and of itself but he was not that talkative with other customers. At one point he even hung around longer than normal to chat during my meal. Everything went well, I didn't ask him out but left him more than a 35% tip, and wrote down that if he ever wanted to "hang out" to call me. Do you think I should've written "go out" instead of "hang out," or do you think he got the idea? Here's hoping he calls soon. I have never done this before so I do not know how long he'll wait, but I feel like I did my part. If he doesn't call back, I won't be going back to the restaurant.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

That's a good sign he remembered you. I don't think it matters if you said "go out" or "hang out". He gets the point. Now it's just up to him.

Here's to your courage.[​IMG]

13. Falaskan

Falaskan Member

i also forgot to mention, he left my drink off my bill!

14. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

what monkey boy said.

15. Pem4

Pem4 Member

DAMN GIRL!! you got him wrapped around your finger. How is it going so far.