Warmonger republicans call for new war in Syria

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rjhangover, Apr 26, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Here we go again. Lindsey Graham and and John McCain, the most ardent warmongers in congress are calling for yet another war, this time with Syria. Time to crank up that pentagon spending. Time to soak the taxpayer for another two or three trillion dollars. It will probably be twice that though, because this time it's going to get Russia and Iran involved. Looks pretty messy. Perpetual war for the rest of everyone's life.

2. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why? Why do we need to go to Syria? Aren't we broke enough? We need to mind our own business and leave everyone else alone and fix our own many, many problems.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Id agree with them, someone should step in, it is bullshit, the Syrian government shitting all over its people, lots of bad shit happening there.

But it would be very messy and complicated

4. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

If the US goes in alone again, the backlash from Russia and Iran would be huge. Maybe an Arab League mission?

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

As usual, the op singles out the republicans, when members from BOTH parties are pushing for war.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Good thing the evil republican warmongers have a kindred spirit in Obama, huh?

Eggsprog, you raise a good point. The problem is that, militarily, the United States is really the only nation capable of pulling off such a mission. Hell, the combined EU operation against Libya couldn't even handle that country without massive US backing. Syria is a much tougher nut.

7. eggsprog

Maybe an Arab League mission with (air) support from the UN (which would be mostly the US)?

I can't see Obama getting too deep into this conflict at this point, unless it's a few bombing raids against the Syrian leadership or something quick like that. Politically, it is hard to ask the Republicans to compromise and cut defence when it looks like you're ramping up for another invasion.

8. GBBlondie

GBBlondie Banned

Obama's been warmongering?

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Either way we're involved and will bear the brunt of the heavy lifting. Honestly, from what I've seen and heard of Arab militaries, I wouldn't trust them on the ground. At the end of the the US is the only one who can really do it, and do it right. We could do it with minimal effort and blood on our part. Not saying that we should though.

It's going to be hard for him to stay out of it if chemical weapon usage really gets widespread. Pretty soon the world will be clamouring for someone to do something and all eyes will fall on us.

10. LetLovinTakeHold

Um, yeah. Where have you been?

11. eggsprog

He's skipping that part and just conducting secret wars via drone strikes.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

12. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Agreed. Comes with being on top.

13. GBBlondie

GBBlondie Banned

I keep track of what's going on pretty much all day, and I have yet to see him do anything that approaches "warmongering" as the term is commonly understood.

14. LetLovinTakeHold

I guess egg is more accurate, he skips the mongering and kills people without declaring an actual "war"

Democrats are quick to label GWB as a warmonger but turn their heads as Obama puts more resources into the "war on terror" than W ever did.

15. GBBlondie

GBBlondie Banned

It's funny (sad, really), because the same people who're whining and bitching about him using drones to take out terrorists would be the very first in line to whine and bitch about him not doing enough to take out the terrorists if we suffered another attack on the country. Some of you guys just like to hear yourselves yap.

GWB was a warmonger - he openly advocated and encouraged war, as are McCain and Graham now. That is the very definition of warmongering. Obama has not done that (quite the opposite, in fact). I'm welcome to someone proving me wrong on that.

16. eggsprog

The UN just described the current conflict in Syria as the biggest humanitarian crisis since the Cold War, so I'd say that it is a worthwhile discussion for politicians to be having.

In response to the part I have bolded - who are you referring to when you make that statement?

I think that anyone who supports Obama's drone program, in it's current state, should watch this video:

Farea Al-Muslimi (Yemini youth activist) recently testifying before a US Senate Subcommittee about a very recent drone strike in his home village in Yemen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIb0wMfOFhw&feature=youtu.be

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Without a doubt, somebody is going to have to do something before too much longer.

Russia has to be getting close to a point where they can no longer support Syria in the UN.

Were they unable, or unwilling, or a little bit of both?

Sometimes, it looks to me like they just find it cheaper and easier to say to the US, "You have to do it for us, because we can't." We end up picking up most of the tab, and taking the blame for anything that doesn't go well. And you know every big military operations is going to have some fuck-ups.

Just once, I wish we could limit ourselves mostly to coordination and support. Libya seemed like an encouraging sign for the future. The UK and France appeared to be making a decent effort there. I hope they will step up this time.

Those two just need to get a room and fuck. :rolleyes:

18. GBBlondie

GBBlondie Banned

Who said it wasn't? Of course it's a valid discussion, but McCain in particular, and Graham to a lesser extent, have been advocating invading Syria since the unrest there hit the radar.

Several people here in general, and you in particular, I'd bet.

I saw his testimony (or parts of it, at least). I don't necessarily agree with the indiscriminate use of drones (when it involves civilians), either, but what do you suggest we do as an alternative? Do you suggest we let known terrorists keep on doing what they do? I'd sure love to hear any reasonable alternatives you might have in mind. It's one thing to sit here and talk shit about the way something's being done, but a whole other deal to develop and propose an alternative that legitimately stands a chance of working. I'm all ears.

19. StoneFeather

StoneFeather Member

I'm sure President Obama is on board, now he'll actually have support from congress unlike the Libyan Civil War. I'm sick of republicans and democrats, they all need to go away.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

A little of both. I think some European governments were genuinely willing, even if their populations didn't have the collective stomach for it. That said, even when they combined their forces, they were still unable to accomplish their objectives. Enter American military power.