Wanting to start dreads (frizzy hair)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by bthizle1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

Any advice?....there's already quite a bit of knotted hair on my head.

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

If your impatient, backcomb and leave your hair alone, just wash it from time to time as you see fit. If you want to go natural, just stop brushing your hair.........and wait........and wait.......and wait......ding.......they're done.

3. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

So I am somewhat impatient, but have been letting it do it's thing for some time... does that mean I should go with the backcombing method even if I would prefer to not use wax? Or could I backcomg it and not use wax?

4. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

yeah you can backcomb with no wax........most people do it that way as a matter of fact. Neither backcombing or natural is better than the other, it's really a matter of preference, if you want to go natural, you must have patience but you will end up with dreads with alot of character and nuance......if you backcomb you can "cultivate" your locks to have better control over how they lock up, which gives a uniform appearance. Yeah, wash as you see fit, you'll be fine.

6. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

You can backcomb without using wax. The outcome natural vs backcomb I am not sure of, I think your hair dreads the way it wants even if you backcomb, you just get to pick the sectioning and maybe don't lose as much length during the process. Washing is good, greasy hair ain't gonna knot up. Dr Bronners is good don't use normal shampoo. Good luck!

7. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

I may backcomb it, but I'm still pretty sketch about it not letting it just tangle up fully on its own.....what pertains to the preparation before backcombing.

8. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

Not sure about preparation for backcombing, I'm going neglect. I just let my hair knot as it sees fit and then rip apart anything I don't want. Maybe start using the Bronner soap now so your hair is used to it?

9. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

I am going to start using the Dr. Bronners as of today and I am also wearing a woolen beenie at night, does that help at all?

10. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

Are you going to brush until you backcomb? If so the beanie is of no help, but switching to Bronners now is a good idea.

Bronners makes my hair feel great and I always wonder what my hair would have been like undreaded if I had of washed with Bronners.

11. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

frizzy hair is good. to prepare for dreads you might want to wash with just dr bronners, not brush for hair and wear a wool hat. that way when your ready, your hair will be all dry and frizzy and shitty and it will be easier to make into pre-dreads.

12. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

If you hair is curly etc I would backcomb it I permed my hair extremely curly and when I backcombed it my dread were so damn tight the first say it was great after a few months it was so tight i couldnt believe it so just backcomb and wash once a week.