WANTED: Cloth Diapering Items

Discussion in 'For Sale or Trade' started by lenamarina, Mar 23, 2005.

1. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

Switching to clothe daipers and I'm looking to get used stuff. I need everything.

Lena

2. EarthyFemmeFatale

EarthyFemmeFatale Member

Oh, wow, I have lots of stuff. What sizes are you looking for? Do you want fitteds or prefolds? Girl or boy stuff?

3. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

Well,

My baby-girl is 8-months old and I think she's probably a medium. I'm totally new to cloth daipering and I'm not exactly sure what I need or which type to get. Can you help with any suggextions?

Thanks,

Lena

Also, what would you charge and where are you located?

4. EarthyFemmeFatale

EarthyFemmeFatale Member

I'm in Va. As far as $, we can work that out. :)

Depending on who ou ask, different people will tell you that you need different things. Some people prefer aio's (all-in-ones) because you don't need a seperate diaper cover to prevent leaks. I never really liked aio's though (at least not the kind w/PUL) because it is VERY hot for the baby and can deteriorate faster. The kinds with a fleece outer is nice though. But aio's tend to be much more expensive.
    Then there are fitteds (which are what I liked, along with prefolds). You have to use a cover with them to keep them from leaking, but they are much less expensive and are easier to wash. You can get them with either velcro or snaps (I prefered snaps since they don't snag like velcro, but once again, everyone's different).
    Then there are prefolds. They are rectangular cotton cloths that you fold and either pin or use a Snappi (these claw type things that grab the cloth, MUCH easier!). You can get all different kinds of prefolds. You don't want the cheapie ones from Babies R Us. They are crap. You want the DSQ (diaper service quality) kind. You can get them online very cheap (usually about $1.50-$2 a piece, if that). You can even find tie dyed and handpainted ones (I have some and they are very cute :) ).
    Onto covers. You can either get ones w/PUL, fleece, or wool. I prefer the latter. They tend to be more breathable.
    You are also probably going to need some doublers to increase absorbancy (especially at night) and maybe some fleece liners (to wick moisture away from her tiny bottom). And if you're going to switch to cloth, I suggest getting a few dozen cloth wipes, too. Saves a lot of money in the long run and you can just wet them with plain water.

I know it probably sounds overwhelming, but it really isn't. Trying out a number of different kinds used is a good way to find out what you like and what you don't.

I HIGHLY suggest heading over to www.mothering.com/discussions
    They have an excellent diapering forum and a diapering for sale forum that you can find some great deals on. Don't be afraid to ask them advice, questions, etc. They are extremely helpful and nice. They also have a review section for diapering wahms, etc.
    I've also heard that www.diaperpin.com is a good place, too, but I'm not really familiar w/it.

Feel free to ask any more questions. :)

And I'll try to take a look tonight and see what I still have and I'll lyk. :)