want to write an autobiography

Discussion in 'Biography' started by Twiztid.Chick, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Twiztid.Chick

Twiztid.Chick Member

I've been through a lot of shit. Haven't we all? There is so much on my heart that I feel needs to be written into a story, a true story about my life. when this idea came to mind i also got faced with a few questions:

I'm only 18 so I haven't lived for a long time. Will that work for an autobiography?

Should I use a pen name?

I'm stuck on what information im comfortable with sharing with the public, and what info i am not.

Ive been a writer my whole life, but my specialty is poetry. Despite that, I wanna write this book. Can any of you writers out there give me some advice for starting off on an autobiography? it would be much appreciated

2. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

These are my views on it...take it as you will...

I would write it as if it were fiction (meaning change names, etc). That'll make it easier to write everything to the public.

Being 18, writing an actual "autobiography" is tough because autobiographies are wonderful to read when someone has a fascinating life with fascinating events, typically later on in life.

I'm writing a biography about my grandfather's life, but I'm only writing about his time in WWII. So I'm taking a part of his life and turning it into a great story, rather than talking about his life outside of the war.

I've read lots of great stories that are sort of like biographies of teenagers. One that comes to mind is White Oleander...although its fiction, I suggest reading it so that you can understand how this girl's life changed based on what had happened to her. You have to make sure with events that happen, there is some sort of outcome. You can't write about trials with drugs and end it without the drug use being resolved. Know what I mean?

Basically, you gotta make sure it is interesting enough. Writing a story about how you rebelled against your parents growing up and hated school won't be interesting. Write about things people can relate with...for instance, if I wrote an autobiography, I'd base it on certain huge events in my life.

Everyone's life is interesting enough to write a biography about...but the thing is, do you know what's worth writing compared to the typical nonsense we all experience? If you know you have a great story, then write it.

If I decided to write an autobiography, I'd base it around what had happened to me and what I became because of it. I'd write about being raped, my parents divorce and the insanity that came with that, my drug use during high school, and how my family betrayed me because I hated my father's wife.

But I'd end the story on how close my father and I got and how I see the world now. I'd write about my father's death and what I've become because of that, also.

I hope this post made sense. Writing an autobiography is difficult, but like I said, if you can make sense of it and make a GOOD story, then go for it.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I can think of authors who have written about certain parts of their life, rather than their whole life, although I think they are usually referred to as memoirs rather than an autobiography. If your life has been interesting up to this point, then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I have one recommendation: write with a sense of humor and don't be afraid to poke fun of yourself. Its a bit boring otherwise and if an author can't write about him/herself without a little self depracation and self awareness I often get the feeling they haven't learned much in their journey.

4. ManyInterests

ManyInterests Member

Based on what I've seen here and your Tumblr, which I am sure is hardly everything, I think it would be really interesting. George Orwell wrote about his younger years only in an autobiographical book called "Down and Out in Paris and London." Give it a descriptive title like that rather than calling it autobiography and I think you'd be fine.

5. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Be true to yourself and try and find your own voice.Don't censor yourself.Try to write about the things that have never been expressed before from a young female's point of view.Don't be afraid to use poetic language at times.Mix it up.Be modern.Entertain yourself - this way you will entertain others.And most of all,write,write write and don't give up!

6. Twiztid.Chick

Twiztid.Chick Member

thank you everybody for the lovely advice! it is my 18th birthday today, it is still early in the morning though, so I might get started on more ideas:) you guys are great.

"If I decided to write an autobiography, I'd base it around what had happened to me and what I became because of it" <<same here

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

A very happy birthday to you!

8. Derdiyok

Derdiyok Guest

I actually think one is never too young to write an autobiography. This spring when facing my graduation, I started to write my own. I am only 25, but my attitude towards life has put me through pretty strange things and experiences. I didn't think anyone would publish it, so I started to write it in the form of a blog.

I am writing anonymously, though. Firstly I dont want my family to know about this project. Secondly, I'd have no chance of getting employed anywhere after writing about my teenage. And thirdly: I want to tell everything without hurting my near ones. I've found this writing project quite therapeutical so far.

In case anyone wants to share my experiences, my version of an ordinary man's autobiography can be found at www.ordinarymanslife.com

9. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

I am working on my own autobiography, but I am 67.
    Take notes and write down anecdotes about stuff that happens to you.
    Every experience you have is grist for the mill. You're young and your story will be all the better if you do this and hold off on the book.
    It will be worth waiting for, I'll bet

My autobiography is called MeMoirs...watch. for it in a year or so.

10. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Make sure you don't want to get it published someday. Most publishers don't even want to see anything previously published, even online.
    I found out the hard way.

11. Dax

Dax Members

18 is far too young to even think of writing an autobiography unless if you maybe the daughter of a famous movie star.

12. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

i wrote a book