Want to try shrooms

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by SLAMDNK123, Jan 23, 2005.

1. SLAMDNK123

SLAMDNK123 Member

I have been thinking about it lately and I want to try shrooms for the first time. I'm just really apprehensive because I'm not sure about the long term effects. I don't do anything that could cause permanent damage (aka death, brain damage, etc). I basically stick to pot and pain killers. What are the lasting effects of someone taking shrooms once?

I know no-one has died from taking shrooms, but I've heard from some people you can have "flashbacks". Is that just for LSD, or can you have shroom flashbacks as well? Are these flashbacks only when you are high or tripping, or could you just be walking around completely normal and have an intense flashback? I just don't want to do something that will affect me in any way after my trip is over (not talking about my views on things as bad changes, thats to be expected). Will shrooms cause any future effects at all?

(Exact same situation with opium, so answer those questions for opium too if you know)

2. LaughinEyes024

LaughinEyes024 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Shrooms won't cause any permanent damage unless you have some sort of underlying psychological problem. Pain killers are far worse for you than shrooms could ever be because they're synthetic. You shouldn't have flashbacks unless you do shrooms when you are having a bad day or whatever. Just be smart and be in good company. Shrooms may change the way you look at life but you will be thankful for that in the end. I've done shrooms many many times and I'm still alright.

As for opium, I'm not sure about that. I smoked it a few times and enjoyed the feeling. So, I'd say go for that as well.

3. Dazed4now

Dazed4now Member

i'd be happy if i could find some shrooms :\

4. SLAMDNK123

SLAMDNK123 Member

Wow, that must suck. I got connections with the right people....I can't imagine ever not being able to get X, shrooms, acid, whatever if I decided I wanted it. The only thing in short supply around here is opium. And weed was scarce the past week or so, but my friend's brother came in from Ohio and solved that problem real quick.

Thats great news, to the first reply. I was hoping shrooms wouldn't have any long term effects or one of those uncontrollable flashbacks people talk about a lot.

5. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh man how can you worry about damage to your body if you take pain killers.
    and the only permanent effects you could get off shrooms you can also get off weed (psychological), so its not like youd be doing anything out of the ordinary. if it by chance did happen to you, that is, which would be pretty rare for first time use, and not habitual.

i want to try em too but theyre not standard drugs here in australia

6. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

Slamdnk, with all the things I've done, I've never had an intense flashback. And yeah, I've had a few really bad trips (out of all my good ones), but they don't really come back in the form of flashbacks. Bad trips can be absolutely disasterous, life-changing experiences, but you can learn a lot from them, and learning from them is key. Flashbacks are usually triggered (in those who are susceptible) by people not fully coming to grips with a severely negative experience. Understanding what happened and why, and not being overly concerned about it is very important for recovering from a bad trip. Not coming to terms with it might potentially lead to flashbacks.

Sometimes I hear, see, touch, smell, or taste something that brings up a memory but that could hardly be considered a flashback. That's just object-memory association. Perhaps a flashback is just an extreme manifestation of that. You won't have flashbacks if you are fully prepared with set and setting.

On a separate note, I would probably be more concerned with painkillers causing brain damage than psychedelic drugs. LSD and psilocybin are pretty safe, and any risks there might be would probably be completely eliminated with infrequent use.

7. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

hah, we have a very close family friend who was good friends with a man who jumped off a cliff on acid...

also, the guy i talk to about all my drug questions had a couple of friends that ran out into traffic while tripping.. got killed to the max..

and then, my dad had a friend who got spun from a thumbprint or pinky or whatever they call them..

8. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

Just check out erowid or lycaeum for the facts about mushrooms. I just wanted to comment on the falshback comment, flashbacks have nothing to do with drugs.

Flashbacks can occur after any traumatic or intense life experience. Alot of men come back from war and have flashbacks. So the experience that you have while under the influence of a strong psycadelic may cause you to have flashbacks in the future, but it's not the actual drug causing the flashback.

9. LaughinEyes024

I've done acid and had bad experiences with that but good ones as well. So basically I will reiterate what I said before. Only do this shit if you are mental stable and in a good environment with good people. Shrooms are amazing when used correctly. Just use good judgement.

Definately look at erowid.com though. I love that site because it is so informative.

So, be smart and have fun.
    Peace

10. SLAMDNK123

SLAMDNK123 Member

Thanks for all the responses, I feel a lot better about it now.

The setting should be same as always (friend's chilled out basement) so that shouldn't be a problem. And I'm at terms with all things in my life, so theres not really anything to have a bad trip thinking about.

Also, on the painkillers thing, I just mean like lortab and things like that. I'm actually studying medicine right now in school (future surgeon hopefully), and I researched them enough to figure out how much I can do without causing liver damage and things like that.

Wow, I never thought the answer would be this easy. I'm glad it seems that all my suspicions were just rumors, etc.

11. LaughinEyes024

That stuff does happen to some people but its because of underlying conditions and bad decisions, not the drugs.

12. SLAMDNK123

SLAMDNK123 Member

Oh, one more question...

Do you think it'd be okay to do it at my friend's house w/ his parents home? We just go to his basement and hang out all night. Seriously, I've either been stoned or drunk in that basement at least 30-40 times with his parents right upstairs and they never come down.

Should I be okay doing shrooms, or is it one of those things that you definitely shouldn't do with parents home? Does it make you uncontrollably loud, or anything like that?

13. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

Personally, I do not think it is a good idea if you trip around parents. Sober people can make the mistake of calling the hospital or the cops, thinking something is wrong with you. Do you really want to spend 4 or 5 hours tripping in a jail cell? Probably not. Don't be in a hurry to do the shrooms. Take them on a night when you have no responsibilities such as worrying about parents, having to work the next morning, etc.

Also, make sure that there will be at least ONE person with you who is not tripping or getting drunk. Please, if you do nothing else, please please PLEASE have a trip-sitter. When you are in the middle of a trip, you are mind-fucked. I cannot tell you how many times I've talked people out of driving while tripping. Trust me, you will want someone there who is of a sober mind, just in case something happens or to reason with people if crazy ideas come up.

Tripping is a blessing. If it is done responsibly and with respect, then you will undoubtedly walk away from your trip a little wiser.

14. SLAMDNK123

SLAMDNK123 Member

My question about the parents was more of a "will I be able to contain myself and not make too much noise" more than a "pull it off" thing. I don't plan on being around them at all.

Even if I did it with parents around, I wouldn't have a trip sitter. Now that you mention it, I guess my friend and I should wait until we can find someone to trip sit for us, even if the parents are asleep.

They have never, ever walked downstairs when I've been over there, and I've spent the night there hundreds of times. I'm just wondering if I would be so disoriented that I would be loud enough to wake them up (we've laughed really loud before with the parents upstairs and they never woke up, so its not real easy to wake them up at all).

15. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

Just be careful...I had been eating mushrooms for years now and an aquaintence was tripping on his dorm room (also an experienced user), he freaked out and jumped off the balcony of his dorm room. Yes I know it is very sad but I do not want to talk more about it, all I'm saying is if you start to feel yourself lose it, just tell yourself "it's only a drug!" You have the control, not the drug! Once you realize it's just a drug, it's a whole lot easier to sit back and enjoy it.

16. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Wow, that sounds traumatic, I've had a bad experience with LSD where I was left alone and I thought I got bunk stuff. Well an hour later it hit hard and I was taking showers and trying to make phone calls and feeling pretty out of my mind. I'm glad I was unable to dial the phone or I would have called the wrong people and freaked them out. I pretty much trashed my place that night and scared the crap out of myself but made it by telling myself I was an a drug and not really dead like i imagined. I've been lucky the times I tried shrooms the worst I did was stare at the wall too much and wander around naked in front of my friends (who thought it was hilarious)