want to start an organic farm in georgia

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by back2theland, Feb 22, 2009.

1. back2theland

back2theland Member

Trying to start a small organic farm here in georgia. Where I am there are very few if any organic farms. I only know of one other close by and me and them talk all the time and take classes together on farming.
    I have the land but am working on the infrastructure for the farm.
    I currently live on the land in a house but need a well, irrigation, fencing (we have deer and rabbits in these woods who would wipe out a small farm in one night) barn, more chickens we have some but need more owls and hawks eat chicken too LOL :) , hoophouses, tractor, and more.
    Starting from scratch slowly building it up. It does take time.
    Once we have interns quarters built we can have wwoofers interns or volunteers come out and stay at the farm to help with chores.
    Really looking for someone who wants to devote their lives to this and help make this the best dang farm ever for our area. Weekend help is nice but needs someone with a passion who would like to make this their lifelong journey. Anyway thats my dream.
    Thanks Mike :)

2. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Mike, make a fresh post when you are ready for interns. I am sure some folks will need the work and experience and contact you.

Be sure to do some networking to get exposure for your farm.

Try GrowFood a network of 17,000 connecting people with skills, land and ability.

Also let folks find you at Sustainable Farming Internships and Apprenticeships

Keep us posted!

3. rhh

rhh Guest

Sounds interesting. I was looking to start a farm in GA, but if you have a decent location already I may be the one you are looking for.
    I have a family and that may be an issue for you. Let me know by replying and we will se about contacting each other if things work out. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
    RHH

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You know the original post is over 3 years old, right?

5. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

maybe you could also try the local colleges that have horticulture programs that might also be intrested also.

6. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Of the horticulture programs in Georgia, ABAC (Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College is by reputation, the one more targeted toward applied science, that is teaching folks to be real independent farmers. The University of Georgia's program is probably better suited for someone in agribusiness, research, plant breeding, or the cooperative extension service.

Berry College is a private school in Northwest Georgia with an agriculture program that focuses on animal science. They have hands-on training and some opportunities to work off part of your tuition. It is an expensive school, but I would not discount the possibility of attending without inquiring about grants and scholarships. Berry has worked with businesses in the area to make tuition affordable. I have seen Berry's barns and have met a local family where both husband and wife studied agriculture at Berry and they have a successful working family farm.

But may I suggest that you consider, instead Central Carolina Community's program in Sustainable Agriculture. This school is in North Carolina and has several campuses. The campus where you would study horticulture is in Pittsboro, North Carolina. They seem much more progressive in their offerings. It is a 2-year program and designed to get you into productive and sustainable farming upon graduation. Typically you would need to intern on someone else's farm unless you have land of your own.
    The school has a 5-acre farm on the Pittsboro campus.

If formal education is not practical in your life, consider the Organic Growers School, which has long and short term training, internships, and semi-annual seminars. They are located in the mountains of western North Carolina.
    Organic Growers School
    788 Mt. Hebron Rd.
    Old Fort, NC 28762

They are also looking for volunteers. If money is a concern, you can get full or partial tuition in exchange for labor.

7. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

wow awesome but someone said the post is 3 yearts old lol

8. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I hope that interest in organic farming is growing.
    I live in a big city and I don't have acres of land, but I have enough to provide a big portion of my fresh vegetables all summer and part of the fall.
    That counts for something.

And those lucky enough to live in the country but don't know the difference between lettuce and poison ivy should learn how to provide for themselves.
    Salad anyone?

9. hippybubba

hippybubba Member

I've got a small farm in Stone Moutain. I use aquaphonics can produce 400 lbs of veggies and 200 lbs of fish a year in a 4X8 grow bed. I use solar pumps so everything is free. Been perfecting the system for about 2 years now. I can feed a family of four all the veggies and fish on 3 grow beds and trade extras for other things I don't grow.

10. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

Wow that's cool I want to be able to grow my own herbs and veggies are there any links to teach me how to accomplish that.

11. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Yep! Read post #6 a few inches above this one!

12. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

Say what I'm confused

13. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

Ok I see what your talking about

14. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I recommend you get hands-on diggin' in the dirt training, but you might also benefit from going to Youtube.com and running searches for growing techniques. (Probably better to pick something specific like tomatoes or pole beans).

15. canwegroove

canwegroove Member

Yea im going to try it for sure

16. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I know people with organic farms. They take a lot of maintenance but are 'worth it. ' [​IMG]

17. Vickerycr

Vickerycr Members

Is this dream still alive? I'm seeking the same thing. I already have experince in farming and construction. Hope things are moving forward.

18. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

Free horse poop !