Want to get tatoos on underside of my forearms, but ouch!

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by Penny, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I just love how it looks.. I'd like to get tatoos on the underside of my forearms and wrists, like flowers or something abstract, no ideas yet, but, I heard it is really painful and I have very sensitive skin and I'm ultra sensitive to pain AND I hate needles.. lol pretty bad for someone who wants several tatoos, huh?

I'd like a butterfly on my back, at the bottom just in the middle above my butt, and something on my ankle.. which I heard hurts too..

So, what does everyone think? Should I go for the ones on my forearms, or what? Anybody did it? Was it real bad? Could I possibly get anestesia (sp??)?

2. kif

kif Member

I have a tribal wrap on my left forearm and the underside didnt hurt too bad, just towards the wrist is where it really hurt. I got a vicodin monster on my right forearm that hurt like hell because the guy went too deep.
    From what I hear the back is a painful place to get a tat, especially along the spine and as far as anesthesia (sp?) goes, Ive never heard of any artists doing that. Some would say to take a pain killer or 3 before you get the work done, but that wont help with the initial pain while getting the tattoo, but will help with the soreness afterwards. And also never drink before you get some ink, it thins out your blood and will make you bleed like crazy.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I think you should go for something meaningful. Try to think of something that means alot to you. Make sure you design it yourself.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I'd design it myself if I was a good artist.. but I'm not really!

I just don't know what to do, I want these tatoos so badly, especially the butterfly on my back, but if it's gonna hurt so much, is it really worth it? I guess it is, since I want them so bad, but.. I'm just such a wimp.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Pain goes away eventually. Just do not think about the pain.

6. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I don't mind the pain afterwards, it's during it that I fear!!

I saw this really beautiful tatoo on this girl's wrist, a bird, I'd like the same.. but yeah, it's on the wrist and underside of forearm, it would hurt like hell..

Maybe I should just start with something really small somwhere it wouldn't hurt so much? Suggestions anyone?

7. kif

kif Member

For me, the pain I go through makes me appreciate the tattoo more.

8. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

my arm is sleeved all the way arround,shoulder to wrist.the arm pit hurt the worst and the inside of the elbow sucked bad for about 3 days after.but the wrist and forarm wasnt as bad.gotta ern the tat and pain goes away annyhow

9. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

eh, its not that bad. i have a medium sized tat on my wrist. well, if uve gotten tattos before, then ull be used to the pain. :)

smoke some weed, take some valium b4 if u want 2 be numb :)

10. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Getting a tattoo is most likely worth all the pain, and the pain doesn't last forever. So go for it. :D
    And about anaesthesia.. I think you need an anesthesiologist or at least some kind of a doctor to do that, so it probably won't be possible to get an anaesthesia in a tattoo studio. ;)

11. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Anybody has suggestions for me? Where should I get my first tattoo?

More people with tattoos on their wrists? The underside I mean? Was it bad?

12. Smoothdick

Smoothdick Member

It's gonna hurt no matter where you get it. Grit your teeth and get what YOU want where YOU want it. It's the only way you'll be truly happy with it...and isn't that what you want?

13. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Penny, I really think the pain is no worse and sometimes not as bad as plucking your eyebrows which I think hurts like HELL. But in my experience some places hurt more than others. IMO, only, I think the closer to the bone, not necessarily the thinness of the skin, is what does it.

They are right about the drinking causing thinning the blood, but you could counteract that by having some green tea or broccolli, for the vitamin K in them. I find a bowl and a couple of beers take the edge right off of the tattooing. But that's just me.[​IMG]

14. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

my arm is sleeved all the way arround ,from sholder to wrist.the arm pit and inside of elbow hurt the worst but the wrist wasnt too bad.if thats ware you want it i think you should just do it,ya it sucks for awile but it goes away.you will probly be glad you did.tattoos are earnd.

frog

15. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Thanks everyone... like I said, I don't mind the pain afterwards.. but what's it like during the tattooing? How long does it take - I know it definitely depends on the size of the tattoo and whether it's in color or black - but, do they usually go as fast as drawing? Does it bleed? lol there's a big blank in my mind in the tattoo section I know nothing!!!! :p

16. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

on area like that it burns alitle more than say the outside of the upper arm.the arm pit,fore arm and inside of elbow allmost felt like the needle was red hot.burning me,but i know it wasnt,just penitrateing the skin.yes most people bleed just alittle,i bleed alot.judging by your pail skin coller in your pic your probly a bleeder.for the next few days after it felt like a heavy dudy road rash,like taking strong sand papper to it over and over.especialy in the inside of the elbow ware it keped breacking open when i bent my arm.mine wasnt like a drawing becouse i have alot of heavy black and he went over and over it sevral times to pound the ink in.see the pic of wooden frog in this link

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97507&page=9&pp=10
    if i were you ,i wouldnt worry too much of it,if ya want it ,just do it
    frog

17. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

The pain factor is very personal. What will be slightly annoying to someone will be excruciating to another person. The best advice is to not take any pain meds and grin and bear it. Realistically, though, you mind wanna take a vicodin or something. Avoid alcohol and aspirin b/c they thin blood.

As far as where to get the tattoo... I'd recommend not starting on your wrists because they are very visible. It sucks, but we live in a world where you will be judged by your ink. I only have tats on my legs and whenever I wear shorts, I notice people looking. its mostly positive, but I've caught criticism for them too.

The bottom line is people will treat you differently for you tattoos and you won't always want the attention. I'd wait until I lived with a few tats for a while before deciding on something that visible.

Just my 2 cents

18. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i barely felt mine.
    but if you hate needles and pain? good luck...really. lol
    what ever you do, make sure you eat lots before getting it, even while getting it. eat eat eat. the rush you get while getting inked, is insane, and on an empty tummy, you'll pass out, regardless of pain/fear tolerance; it's not about that.

19. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Thanks everyone... like I said, I don't mind the pain afterwards..

ever had the pain afterwards in that area??
    frog

20. blueeyedson

blueeyedson Member

well if I was to tell you it doesn't hurt that's really just speaking from my experience. I have four tats in the same spot on both arms, one that took about three hours because of the detail. it's really not the worst spot to get a tattoo pain wise. but if your so terrified lol you're gonna just make it worse. I really just sat there going through one of his books of tribal tattoos. although he did say that I was bleeding way less than normal so I guess I must have some thick skin or something. most people would probably be able to bear the pain from this so you really have nothing to be scared of except maybe your own fear of it. once you have what you want to get, just go thruogh with it and it's gonna seem like it never even happened afterwards. :)