Walmart's Stupid Ass Idea To Charge For Plastic Bags

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by relaxxx, Nov 13, 2017.

1. David0301

David0301 Members

in austria we have always had to pay for the plastic bag at the supermarket. About 5 Cents.
    I have always been fascinated by the american supermarkets way of free plastic bags , each time im in california. Im pretty sure it all comes down to the same. Those big chain supermarkets dont give out anything for free. You may think it was free because you did not have to pay for it, but it surely was included in the food prices.

ZenKarma likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

In the Netherlands we would pay one euro for a very sturdy reusable plastic shopping bag. They lasted for years, why not reuse them?

3. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

I have a number of cloth bags that I use for food shopping. I normally do not use Walmart for food items. But find myself getting other items there. IE: tissues, paper towels etc. They are already wrapped in plastic so why do they put them in plastic shopping bags ? I normal request that they don't. But try to use the re-usable bags on the "other " side of Walmart.. You would think that you were committing some type of major issue. I have heard " you can't do that " by cashiers when I use the re- useable bags. I had one cashier place everything into the plastic bags then place that into my re-usable ones. What The Heck does that accomplish ?
    I totally dislike the one use, plastic bags. They say that you can recycle them. But I have seen bales of them taken to the landfill. Because the re -cycler could not find a buyer for them.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You could get your TP, tissues and towels etc. also from a better store. That way Walmart and their employees stuck in protocols can suck it :)

SonoranHotDog likes this.
  5. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

true I could. But if I have to be there I might as well save a few cents and by those products there. And it does add up since I normally buy those few items in bulk vs just one or two

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Amine hardeners in the epoxy resin in the kayaks are endocrine disruptors. They are highly toxic to all sea life, cause birth defects once the kayaks are disposed of and the resins break down

7. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

We don't have plastic bags here. They banned them a long time ago. Just get a bunch of reusable cloth bags. Buy it once, use it forever, more convenient than paper bags. Paper bags...you gotta carry them like you're holding a baby. Unless they have handles. But then no glass nothing heavy

8. SonoranHotDog

SonoranHotDog Members

Haven't been inside a wal mart over 4 years.

Use clothe bags.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I keep wanting to buy a shopping BASKET, a wicker one. Then everything doesn't squish together, too.
    But yeah I use reuseable bags.

10. SonoranHotDog

SonoranHotDog Members

That is a great idea. It would hafta be open, otherwise I foresee many hangups and confusion at the store.

Driftrue likes this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

What's this obsession with bin liners anyway. Lazy.
    Just wash your bin out.
    Use old newspaper to line it.

Cotton IS a big consumer of water and should be replaced with Hemp fabrics.

13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

And my idea of wicker baskets and Hemp fabric bags should obviously be chosen over reuseable plastic ones. Bags can be made from old jeans. I have a bag made from old coffee bean sacks. There are lots of ways.

So what do you think, VG, what are you saying, that we may as well keep using single use plastic bags?

14. SonoranHotDog

SonoranHotDog Members

I also have a bag made from old jeans and bandanas.

Driftrue likes this.
  15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Well there ya go : )
    I'd never even seen one, it was just a thing that came to mind because denim is so strong and often when jeans get thrown out it's just the crotch, knees, seams.. Plenty of decent fabric remaining.

16. Asmodean

It doesn't disprove cloth bags are generally better for the environment than disposable plastic bags? Perhaps only if one doesn't make proper use of it, but obviously a cloth bag can and often is used for years.

17. SonoranHotDog

SonoranHotDog Members

I read that and was like, uuhh ...

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You should all put all your groceries on top of your head like those African villagers that have to carry stuff for miles, like water and they keep it on a bucket on their head. If you don't do that then you don't really care. :nomouth::nomouth:

Change my mind.

Driftrue likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Even if we were only thinking cotton cloth bags it remains arguable.

20. Asmodean

First you have to try to convince us why we have to carry it like that ;) :p