Walmart's Stupid Ass Idea To Charge For Plastic Bags

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by relaxxx, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I refuse to shop at Walmart, and recently read that they want to increase their prices in their online store. Truth is, they’re getting hammered by Amazon like everyone else and instead of trying to compete with them, they’re increasing their online store prices and charging for bags. Amazon just does it better, has more choices, if you pay for prime, you get the product quick, and you can avoid the freak show that is part of the “Walmart experience.”

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i tend to avoid the local walmart

i dont know if it changed ownership or what but all of a sudden it went from a huge mix of employees to almost all east indian looking employees who dont seem to use deodorant

and their uniforms/vests are always filthy

no thanks walmart

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I got trained in Europe while living there for a decade.

Nobody gets a free bag for anything! You have to pay, pay, pay. They require you to put a coin in the shopping cart itself so that you return it to get your euro coin back...and then they don't have to go about rounding them up... smart eh?

And 15 years ago we had to pay 75 euro cents for a shopping bag (reuseable to some extent)... but they were sturdy enough to hang on the handle bars of the bicycle and get you home with your purchases.

So now here in California no one gets a free bag unless they are on food stamps. And 10 cents is cheap compared to the EU. And these are sturdier.

There are so many danged shopping bags in my car now I rotate them... and there are always enough to leave some in each of the two cars for whenever the urge strikes to consume...

But Walmart truly sucks anyway.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've only ever seen that at aldi, but they're supposed to be the "good" grocery store so we're not supposed to complain about that.

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

we have those carts here at a grocery store

walmart tried it last year but all the crazies and lazy bitches raised so much ruckus about walking an extra few steps that they swapped back to free carts ...........and the lazy asses went back to leaving them in the few empty parking spaces

scratcho and ZenKarma like this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, weird things seem to be happening in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. The only employees anyone seems to be able to get are Indian, Nepalese, Pakistani. Despite all the other flavours of immigrants Australia gets. They seem to be the only ones that will bother commuting 90 mins each way to for their $12 an hour job.

Not just the department chains, its cafes, florists, even the workers at the train station

At the same time I assume because of the combo of the impact of online shopping and the ridiculous prices of leases here, there seems to be a lot more vacant shops appearing.

We seemed to have outpriced ourselves out of decent service

Seems to be a guy thing with the Indian, Nepalese, Pakistanis though, the ladies are awesome, well maintained, i dont detect any smell - the guys always stink though, dirty, unshaven. dont know why there is such disparity

ZenKarma likes this.
  7. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

That's not how I feel, nor most others I know. We didn't mind buying out of small stores, but what the hell. Right?

8. Joe45432

Joe45432 Members

The store have to pay for the bag and anyway 5p (Or cents in your country isnt alot)

9. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

This is all fascinating b/c every time I go to walmart they double bag about 2 items per bag, I end up coming home with 500 bags

Eric! likes this.
  10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As much money Walmart makes, I don't know why in hell they need more. That's a cost they can afford in thier sleep. That's not where it's gonna stop, it's just a matter of time before they charge you to use the bathroom again. I remember bathroom stalls that charged 25, or 50 cents to use the public bathroom.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    creampie00 likes this.
  11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Eric, there isn't enough money in the world for people like the Waltons and others. It becomes almost a mental illness that drives some people to acquire more and more and MORE. And to hide most of it away from paying a fair share of taxes to keep this country solvent, is a ploy for those types only. I don't shop Walmart and I don't use self check machines. Give humans jobs--not machines, is my theory.

Eric! and Tyrsonswood like this.
  12. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

So now I've heard that our whole town is going to ban plastic bags. This is just great, because in my house we need and re-use our plastic grocery bags. This means we're going to have to BUY more boxes of small garbage bags to replace them. So big points for costing me more money, zero points for actually helping the planet.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Yeah, and lets cut down more trees to make paper bags and cardboard boxes... that'll fix everything right!?

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Plastic is a pretty nasty modern convenience, when you get down to it. Even if the cost of eliminating plastic bags isn't worth the benefit to you from a waste cutting sense, you might consider the effect plastic can have on wildlife. Tens of thousands of animals die yearly as a result of ingesting plastic bags, which are indigestible. Think of all of the sea turtles, ocean birds, etc being strangled by, accidentally suffocating themselves from, or having their organs plugged up by plastic bags .

And if animals just aren't your thing, consider it from a human point of view. The consumption of plastic, by fish especially, can result in humans also ingesting the toxins from plastic (when we consume the fish). You eat what your food eats.

"Most distressingly for people, toxic compounds that are associated with plastic transfer to and bioaccumulate in fish tissues. This is troubling because these substances could further bioaccumulate in people who consume fish that have eaten plastic. Numerous species sold for human consumption, including mackerel, striped bass and Pacific oysters, have been found with these toxic plastics in their stomachs."

(The bad news is that fish are eating lots of plastic. Even worse, they may like it.)

And perhaps even more terrifying, is that plastics leach chemicals that have a similar effect in the body to estrogen.

"Estrogenic chemicals found in many common products have been linked to a litany of problems in humans and animals. According to one study, the pesticide atrazine can turn male frogs female. DES, which was once prescribed to prevent miscarriages, caused obesity, rare vaginal tumors, infertility, and testicular growths among those exposed in utero. Scientists have tied BPA to ailments including asthma, cancer, infertility, low sperm count, genital deformity, heart disease, liver problems, and ADHD."

I think that fact alone should compel most people to, if not eliminate, at least consider minimizing their use of, and exposure to, plastics.

Meliai likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It sounds like you're responsible with your plastic bag usage, but that doesn't mean everyone is. As I mentioned before, our state implemented a policy to charge for the things. I think the money raised goes (either in full or on a percentage basis) to environmental causes. It really makes people re use their bags. People either bring their own bags to the store or some will purchase the ones that the store still provides. Those have changed as well to a more durable and reusable plastic. Things are looking up! :)

17. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I think we ALL need to rethink our addiction to plastic, and especially plastic bags.

As I look out at the wilderness I am confounded by the site of tumbling plastic bags, snagged in the trees, hovering along the ground, catching in the bushes, and it's 'orrible.

The stuff doesn't degrade, it lasts thousands of years, and is created from the nasty sludge left over from distilling oil into gasoline and kerosene and diesel fuels. The shit is just plain toxic to all life as we know it, and you and I and everyone will regret using all those plastic bags for the garbage, wrapping your nice clean food in, and whatever else you do with the stuff. I am always amazed when I see someone wrap or cover something with plastic wrap and then microwave it to warm some leftovers, or cook some food product.

Come on folks, there are better ways to deal with this.

I use glass dishes with glass lids for leftovers in the fridge, I put all my veg in a basket and bring it home that way. The it goes in the drawer in the fridge, to be eaten while still fresh. Each piece does not need a separate free plastic bag from the grocery. Even the health food store offers tons of plastic for consumers... it confounds me indeed.

Meliai and David0301 like this.
  18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That's fucking scary.

20. David0301

David0301 Members

great post.
    I have been avoiding plastic for 2 years now. Plastic Free Household here.
    Dishes are all either glass or porcelain. Even cooking pot is made of glass (borosilicate glass).
    Electric water boiler is made of stainless steel etc etc. Plastic sucks

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018