Walmart's Stupid Ass Idea To Charge For Plastic Bags

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by relaxxx, Nov 13, 2017.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Walmart here has been charging 5 cents a bag for a while now. There's been a few times now when I ran in to grab something, was tempted to pick up a few other items on the way out, but did not because I don't want to pay for a bag. I don't mind walking out with one un-bagged item in my hands but two or three would feel kind of stupid. Another time I was with my wife, I said "we might as well grab this too". She said "no, I only brought one bag with me and there's not enough room". So the items got left in the store, over and over again.

I kind of doubt that we are the only two people who have been discouraged from buying items because of Walmart's new policy to charge for bags. I gotta wonder what overpaid executive douche-bag had this brilliant idea. "We're going to make money off bags and pretend to be environmentalists... win win for Walmart!" Yeah, make $0.05 off a fucking bag and loose $10 in sales opportunities. Great idea there, Walmart executive retards in charge of loosing revenue and inconveniencing and pissing off customers.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Maybe the same guy that decided a Whopper Jnr should go up is also on the board at Walmart

CloudyMushroom and quark like this.
  3. morrow

morrow Visitor

All plastic bags in all supermarkets in the UK have a charge on them. The cheap plastic ones are not availing most stores now, you are forced to buy the stronger bags for life.. or take your own with you.
    I think it's a great idea tbh

Hugs & Spit likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Here snackbars (dutch fish n chip shops without fish btw) and supermarkets are obliged to charge 5 cents for a plastic bag since a year or 2.
    Often when I pick up my frites from the snackbar others come with their own bag where they used to go standard with the free plastic one. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about my fellow humans :) I hope it works the same in the supermarkets. Get a larger shopping bag from solid material.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOLz.

About 0.016 litres of oil is required to produce one ldpe single use shopping bag, about 26 litres of oil is required to produce an average sized car tyre.

So in terms of cost to the environment of production, 1 car tyre = 1600 shopping bags, 4 tyres = 6400 shopping bags. How often do you replace your car tyres?

In terms of crap left over, most tyres nowadays are at least 50% synthetic rubber, ie plastic

An average car tyre weighs about 7-10 kgs, 50% of 7kgs = 3500 grams, a single use ldpe shopping bag about 3 grams, That is, plastic left over for the environment, 1 car tyre = over 1100 shopping bags, 4 tyres - over 4400 shopping bags. How often do you change your tyres

Also microplastics, the ground up stuff from the likes of car tyres, additives to asphalt and plastics added to concrete to make it more flexible and even clothing seem to be naking their way into the environment more so than things like shopping bags which nowadays are more likely to end up in landfill

Tyres 'major source' of ocean pollution

Dont kid yourself into thinking you dont contribute

relaxxx likes this.
  6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

We recycle plastic here, our plastic bags don't end up in the ocean choking dolphins. Also, our car trunk is full of reusable bags, mainly from the grocery store next to the Walmart that has free plastic bags. That we never get there because THAT grocery store also REWARDS people 5 cents per their own bag instead of punishing people and PRETENDING to care about the environment.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Plastic bags and plastic packaging in general are horrible, did anyone see recently where a huge floating island of plastic trash ended up off the coast of the Caribbean. But sure,lets not make any attempt to cut back on plastic waste because tires :/

Hugs & Spit likes this.
  8. Asmodean

I also have to LOL at the car tire argument. Sure, it takes more to produce one, but how are they used? And how are a lot of those free plastic bags used? Yups, they get often thrown away as soon as people get home with their groceries. Its this habit (and the fact they could easily be replaced by a more durable bag you bring yourself. It only costs a little bit of convenience which we are spoiled with) that makes it worthwile to discourage using plastic bags, especially for free.

Its cool to make your plastic bag last as long as possible, if you make use of them in the first place.

rollingalong and Hugs & Spit like this.
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm pretty sure the entire state of California charges $.10 per plastic bag now. Every purchased bag helps finance a greener tomorrow or some kind of recycling program. I don't remember what the prop said, but I voted in favor. It's really good for the environment. A ton of people opt out of bags.

What is fill up my cart and have some of the reusable bags on hand in the trunk of my car. I wheel it out there and fill up those bags with my groceries! It works well. I think we can save a lot of whatever goes into those bags by doing this.

It's hard at first. We are in the habit of just trashing every part of the environment, but this is actually an especially easy way to break the bad habit. Or be charged. It's still a choice.

nudistguyny and rollingalong like this.
  10. Asmodean

I'm afraid it usually comes down to 'After me the flood' with VG. Besides that he's old enough to ride it out he doesn't care enough about future generations to change his ways because 'China doesn't do enough so why should we?'. Yeps, he is a fine example of what's wrong with the world. More so than 'China' ;) I would say

Well, i wouldn't say Relaxxx is delusional for believing his plastic waste gets recycled. But its an ongoing process. Interesting link too, thanks for sharing!

Hugs & Spit likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Walmart would charge for breathing the air in their stores if they could get away with it...

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Because you said you dont contribute.

And yet, i dont own a car you do.

I dont have to give a shit about plastic bags and still have a lesser impact on the environment with microplastics than you.

Then add on the oil and petrol, add on all the ldpe hdpe plastics thata just about in everything in the home nowadays.

Its ironic, not moronic. You want to keep telling yourself you dont contribute, go ahead....

13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm bad about remembering my reusable bags.

14. Noserider

I live in an unsustainable desert with 30 million other people, a water shortage and more cars on the road than Detroit has put out since the model T.

I contribute simply by existing

15. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I have a canvas bag in which I keep folded a couple of "bags for life" - it's been quite a while since I purchased a plastic bag

rollingalong likes this.
  16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

oh come now....complaining because you have to either buy a bag or supply a bag of your own?....dude that is sad......plastics are killing our oceans and the pollution created by manufacturing them is unfucking believable....any measure to curb walmateers from possessing them is a good measure

I just coined the term ''walmateers''....please credit me if you use it :)

Hugs & Spit likes this.
  17. Noserider

Except it should be walmarteers...

:smirk:

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I don't like the way they bag at Walmart. They'll put one or two items in a bag and then move on the the next one, so I get home with a couple dozens bags when my stuff could easily have fit into 8 or 10 bags...and I don't know what to do with all of them. I can use a few for the wastepaper baskets in the bathrooms but I have probably 100 of these damn bags under my sink I have no use for.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i was at walmart yesterday and they didn't charge for my bags. maybe this is just your local walmart?

it's the same thing, except the other store probably charges 10 cents more for everything.

i always use the self checkout. professional cashiers/baggers take forever and do a terrible job. much easier to just do it myself and bag my stuff logically.

20. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OK. I get it.
    Would it be any different if the five cents were a tax?
    to a goverment.

21. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We have to pay for plastic at some shops here too and I think it's a great idea because instead they sell you better quality bags you can use again and again which stops plastic pollution.

22. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They don't charge for bags here... One thing I have noticed though. Goodwill thrift store bags are 1000 times better than Walmart bags. Go figure.

23. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is pretty much the only thing I like about Aldi, that you can bag your own groceries. I hate the way baggers bag

I like the way you bag it, no diggety, gots to bag it up

24. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

whatever happened to paper grocery bags anyway? can't get a paper bag unless you're buying booze these days.

Orison likes this.
  25. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yep..paper bags here are basically just for booze

and the city wont pick up leaves unless it paper bagged ...so now instead of recycling/composting them at the landfill site all my leaves go back into the bush

i bag them in garbage bags but dump the bags out and throw them out the normal way instead of leaving them there