Voting

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by Toecutter, Sep 2, 2021.

?

How do you Vote

1. Party lines only

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Cross party lines to vote for the best candidates

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I do not vote

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

When voting do you vote only party lines and ignore all that are not in your political party

Or do you take the time to learn what each candidate is attempting to accomplish and vote for who you believe will do the best job,

2. boubindica

boubindica Banned

Gave up voting years ago. Waste of time IMO.

3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I was a One Party, person for a number of years. - The guy delivered on his word.
    When, he retired, his replacement carried on his predecessor's values and delivery.
    Then, after he unexpectedly died, he was replaced by someone whom I do not have confidence in.
    A taker of credit, (/photo opportunist) when Community schemes are seen to be successful, a follower of current popularist trends (/distancing himself from previous opine) and when it comes to my phlosophies of principles - prefers monies over the environment
    -
    "A Change was (obviously) gonna come"

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I vote against republicans every chance I get. I do not agree with just about anything they say or do, especially now that trump has shown how they really feel about democracy. If America had followed conservative thought since it's founding, we'd still have slavery, women couldn't vote, there would be no social security, no unions, no workers rights,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I voted for not voting.

According to all the surveys, republicans and democrats hate each other more than they trust their own parties. You have to be from the south, to truly appreciate Hatfield's and McCoy bullshit, and know when to run!

6. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

In my state I'm required to vote along party lines during the primaries. However, last presidential election I voted third party.

7. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I almost always have participated in general elections, and only sometimes in party primaries.

For one elected body in which I am eligible to vote, I'd have to travel 5,000 miles to vote in person on a certain day in June, so that one is a non-starter for me. I have to rely on the wisdom of others and those who happen to be there.

My voting strategy has changed over time, but I definitely still use a process-of-elimination approach. Having ruled-out voting for certain candidates, I've voted for some fringe or minor party candidates who simply didn't disgust me. I've never regretted it. For example, finding myself a confirmed never-Clinton, never-Trump voter, I've had to pick from those remaining, including in 2016.

Faced with a long ballot, or candidates who are running unopposed in a general election, I sometimes simply stop making selections after a while. I'll admit not caring about each and every judicial retention vote. Occasionally, I know something good or bad about one of those running for judicial positions, but I certainly don't research all 120 who may appear on the ballot in front of me.

8. wooleeheron

I voted for Clinton and Obama, merely as a symbolic gesture, hoping somebody had a clue what the hell is going on. Our votes simply don't matter, according to forty years of studies. Both political parties apply their morality to everyone else but, seldom, to themselves. The idiots don't even know how to use a stupid dictionary, and might as well be cannon fodder for the mass media. Militant Atheists are among the worst offenders, and support the Tea Party making up whatever they want, and censoring everything in the name of national security.

The Tea Party is the only comedy worse than you can find in Vaudeville, and supported by academia!

9. Etherea

Etherea Members

I am finding it more and more difficult to vote for any of the mainstream parties. I did find a small ray of hope when a thoroughly decent man who stood by his principles was made head of one of these parties but he was hounded out.
    Apparently honesty and a sense of right and wrong count for nothing these days.

scratcho and jimandjan like this.
  10. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I don't feel like you can find that in either party. We as American people have let corruption go way too far. I really have no idea how we can stop it. What used to be a bribe in now a contribution. Who makes the laws!!!
    Gone are the days of; A government by the people for the people.

Etherea likes this.
  11. Etherea

Etherea Members

Absolutely right!

12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At the last election, I had it all worked out.
    But when I arrived at the polling station, Larry (The Downing Street cat), was not on the ballot slips. :):)

Etherea likes this.
  13. wooleeheron

Automate the truth, and the truth shall set yea free!

The assholes are attempting to censor half of reality, especially classic salty humor, of the left wing variety.

My own work can be used with any AI today, to create predatory AI that nobody can stop, or you can use it to create self-organizing systems, that can trump their predatory AI. Bullies always want to have their cake and eat it too, so I give them their own worst nightmare, and the solution.

Nature is analog, while Three Stooges slapstick is as simple as it gets.

Sociology 101a Ya gotta know when to fucking duck or run! Bullies are their own worst enemies.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  14. Time Out of Mind

Time Out of Mind Members

If there is an “R” behind your name, I will not be voting for you. Simple as that!

scratcho and granite45 like this.
  15. wooleeheron

Why vote at all? Donald Duck is already Emperor of the World, wanted, dead or alive, in Tehran! Voter fraud is the accepted new norm.

16. TwinT

TwinT Members

I vote for the lesser of the evils on offer.

I am not entirely uninterested in politics and usually read the PDF files with the party programme, have been to many political party headquarters in two countries, and also watch the election debates in countries that particularly interest me.

I like politics but I dislike parties, politicians and partisans.

Not to forget elections, because they show me that I am powerless. I can understand very well that people spend money to buy votes, but no one has yet come forward to buy my vote. I would also be satisfied with top quality food.

In my adolescence, I read the speeches in the parliamentary newspaper and listened to another speech on parliamentary radio at the same time. Nowadays the media are incredibly bad and let unpaid ignoramuses work for them. Later I did some work to uncover a political scandal in a party of which I was of course not a member. It is very exhausting when you are up against professional liars who have a lot of money at their disposal and enjoy legal disputes, and the media to whom we leaked the material were obtuse and not really in the mood because it was not a national scandal.

My participation in elections is meaningless for the election result, and I have always combined voting with a trip to the nearest pâtisserie. With the increase in bakery chains quality decreases so I can no longer motivate myself with a visit. Sometimes my main function on polling day is to complain about the poor signposting of a polling station – is that supposed to frustrate clueless protest voters?

It is therefore not surprising that I have found joy in postal voting. I am no longer in a hurry when I read the eternally long ballot papers, and I am amused by the effort that is made to allow me to choose between all the unknown and certainly completely uninteresting people. Of course, I am never asked about issues that I would like to decide for myself, such as the EU, EU enlargement, the currency, NATO, energy sources, immigration, the education system, defence spending and so on.

Sometimes I do not request the postal voting documents by e-mail, but simply go to the city council if I am in the neighbourhood, and take them with me straight away. Then I have the ballot papers lying around, and only when I feel like it do I fill them in and put them in a letterbox, perhaps. Especially in regional elections, I usually throw away the unused ballot papers when the election is over. Disgustingly cheap and ugly paper that does not even smell tempting.

After an election, I am one of the few politically interested people who do not eagerly await the announcement of the provisional results. I am only interested in the official final result anyway, and in no hurry for that, because the misery of the elected government will become apparent soon enough.

List of close election results - Wikipedia
    The Power of One Vote | Middleton, MA