Vote-by-mail bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 6, 2020.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'll never forget the bush sr/clinton election. i was in 3rd grade, so i knew nothing about it other than what my parents told me, which was basically that clinton was great and bush was awful. and that seemed to be the consensus among my peers too. one day my teacher decided it would be a fun idea to have a presidential vote in the classroom. just like the real thing, everyone would vote anonymously. but then she sent me on some errand right before the vote, and had me vote when i came back. i handed her my vote for clinton, and she walked over in front of everyone and added to the rest of the class's votes already on the chalkboard, where there were like 3 votes each for clinton and bush and for reasons that i still don't understand to this day, 15 or so votes for ross perot. people were assholes to me about it for days.

but in a real election, especially with the way so many people are acting like fucking lunatics regarding anything political these days, i can definitely see it being actually dangerous to publicly share everyone's votes.

Asmodean likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And what pray tell are these "fundamental American values" Trump is supposedly undermining?

3. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I'd love to just mail in my vote. Although, what happens if my vote gets lost in the mail? They should come up with some type of face recognition thing online, or something. But, I hate going to vote, standing on line forever.

4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Why is it assumed that increased voter turnout is a good thing? It may only increase the number of people that vote on a whim. Americans don't seem very informed about, well...anything really. Unless it's America's Got Talent or something equally puerile.

Meliai likes this.
  5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Rule of law, checks and balances, Presidential dignity, fair play and decency toward the opposition, protection of the election process

stormountainman likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I would have thought the fundamental ones would go along the lines the ten commandments; not killing, and raping each other, stealing etc etc. Add to that the right to have your kid go to high school without getting shot at, spraying cheese from a can on whatever you want to spray it on

Checks and balances? That's nice and vague. Decency towards the opposition in politics? And if you are really good Santa brings you presents at the end of the year

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, that's very tiring at times. He's arguing like a contrarian at times. I noticed the same in climate change topics. And especially unfortunate that that takes away the will to take him seriously every time, when he also brings up good points of criticism at times. But yeah, I don't think that's on us when he doesn't know how to 'pick his battles'.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Those, too, but they're universal values-except the spray chhse. The fact that you consider the others peripheral is telling. So long as the dictator keeps basic law and order (which he doesn't) and you can spray cheese from a can to suit your fancy, to hell with democracy, decency and human rights!

stormountainman likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

In many cases we have lots of ballot envelope drop boxes in court houses and post offices.

10. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Why not just have early voting in each state and change election day to election week so the entire country isn't trying to vote all at the same time? I don't know how people who live in states with no early voting do it.

And vote by smartphone app... not any more or less secure than other methods but at least it is fast, easy, and hella convenient

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My guess is the more convenient, the more people will sell their vote, or otherwise be coerced to vote for a candidate of someone else's choosing. It's a double-edged sword is my best guess...

12. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

The rule of law to start with ...

13. stormountainman

And equal protection of the law, since Trump has empowered white supremacists. The Anti Defamation League just issued a statement saying white supremacist activity has gone up by more than double in the last two years … thanks to Trump.

14. stormountainman

That's the new Republican moto: To hell with democracy, decency, and human rights.

15. stormountainman

We have separation of church and state. The ten commandments are religious rules based on Hamurabi's law from Iraq's Babylonian history. Why don't you write back and tell us about your Australian history and fundamental laws and such.

16. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I don't understand. how so?

17. soulcompromise

That if voting takes place in the home, there will be outside influence on the voter.

18. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I mean, isn't there already outside influence on the voter? That's kinda how we make our personal voting choices. Speeches, political ads, etc... or do you mean like someone putting a gun to your head and forcing you to vote for who they want to win? "Vote for Trump!! NOW!"

I still don't think that's a very likely scenario but perhaps

19. soulcompromise

Oh

Ok

I just thought yknow just maybe there'd be more possibilities of that happening...

20. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

like I said perhaps