Volunteer work???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Disconformitized, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

Any one have any information on local volunteer groups. I'm actually a resident of the NE U.S. and was entertaining the idea of volunteering my time to appreciative people. I'm nowhere near into any research, I just want to start to semi organize myself...

Just so we're on the same Idea page, I'm looking into possible conservation work or actually any kind of volunteer group that would provide a bed, food, and hot water. I'm looking to stay long term like 3-6 months. thx in advance

2. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

thought about prision???

3. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

*snorts with laughter and spills tea*

:p

4. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

lol yes prision actually isnt a bad idea if people in australia are as shallow and stubborn as the ones near where I live...

5. charbono

charbono Member

What about WWOOFing? WWOOF = Willing Workers On Organic Farms
    There are over 1500 places around Australia that will give you free food and accommodation in exchange for work. You also get to learn skills & meet people while you're doing it. It costs $30 for a year, which includes the index of places to stay (each one is described in detail) and Insurance.

http://www.wwoof.com.au

6. charbono

charbono Member

sorry, that should be $50 per year, or $60 if there's 2 of you travelling together.

7. muzzaofoz

muzzaofoz Member

The Australian Trust for Conservation Volunteers (ATCV). They changed their name though to Conservation Volunteers Australia or something like that. Offices in all states. You pay a contribution towards your food, travel, accomodation etc. and go out every week on different tasks around the country. I can really recommend the experience. Some of the best days of my life spent with them.