Vitamin C Prevents And Treats The Common Cold

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Jun 22, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

:)

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

okay, i've tried this and it has worked for me.

i had a couple of miserable colds this winter, and when i did the vite c protocol in that article, my cold vanished. finito, gone. :) i've told other pple about it, and they've gotten rid of their colds within hours as well.

3. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have you heard the theory that too much vit C can cause cancer?
    S

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

pshhaw, it's an antioxidant, it prevents free radical damage that can cause cancer.

5. Samhain

ive just eaten loads of fruit today, I would be worried about taking that much vit c as I have irratable bowel.
    now I expect your going to start a thread abot IBS and diet!!!
    S

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

ha, you can if you want to. :)

7. Samhain

I can't be arsed (<- get it?)
    S

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

har har, that's so punny

re ibs, seriously, if i had to deal with ibs, i'd look at books about leaky gut syndrome (elaine gottschall), i'd look at food intolerances to gluten, dairy, soy and corn (they're the 4 horsemen of the intestinal tract), i'd look at stuff about antiinflammatory diets (perricone writes a lot of stuff on that topic, specifically, and abram hoffer writes some really good stuff about diet~he's in his 80's and still practicing medicine, writing books, etc), i'd make sure that i was getting good quality probiotics several times a day...

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

all i know is i've been puttin lemon squizinz in all my soups and stews since ever i first heard about it and before i did i used to get a lot of real bad colds and flews and now i hardly ever get any. fer all i know it could be somethin else entirely i been doing at the same time. after all i'm just one example me. and that don't hardly make no scientific statistic. but it does rather seemed to have worked.

i don't mean i don't ever or can't come down with anything. just it don't hardly ever happen nearly as often. and as how we live in a statistical universe more observably then any kind of linear one, it makes sense to me from that to say that it works.

=^^=
    .../\...

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

An excellent thread!!!

NOTHING IS BETTER FOR YOU THAN VIT-C... Its important to realise YOU CANNOT OVERDOSE ON IT!!!!!! (You can take as much as you want daily)

I have read though your system cant handle more than 1000MG a day so i dont know if taking more would just be wasteful or not....

Another good link: http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1999/articles/1999-v14n03-p143.shtml

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

also helps dissolve and prevent certain types of kidney stones

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

A few weeks ago I quickly got a bad cold. (Meaning it didn't slowly come on...it was just there overnight - BAM.) In my area, there were 978 people seen at the local hospital for flu (during that time) compared to a year ago when there were only 11. Anyway, about 1 day in, I was taking massive doses of vitamin C and eating really nothing but oranges and a little chicken noodle soup. By the 3rd day after that, I was almost totally well.

My 93 year old mother also got a bad cold the other week. She immediately began with the vitamin C (and oranges) and within 2 - 3 days, she was much better. Totally well in 4 days.

I'm a believer.