Vitamin C In Mass Doses

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What many people don't know is that most animals -- with the exception of the guinea pig and a few others -- manufacture their own Ascorbic Acid (better known as Vitamin C). Humans do not, and because of that, most people are severely deficient in this vital nutrient, which they suffer from in health as a result. Most multi-vitamins don't even supply a fraction of the Vitamin C needed to be beneficial in maintaining good cardiovascular health and a healthy immune system.

Taking mass doses of more than 2,000 mg daily, in my opinion, is one of the best things you can do for your body, along with eating healthy and exercisng. Not only has Vitamin C been proven to strengthen the immune system, more and more studies are showing that Vitamin C not only helps prevent heart disease, but helps to cure it.

Vitamin C aids in the body's production of collagen, which most of our body's soft tissue consists of, including the arteries.

Aside from that, Vitamin C has shown to help in the cure of many different diseases, as well as helps prevent various cancers.

Of course you don't often hear about the great benefits of Vitamin C, because a lot of this information is suppressed. It's dominated by all the pharamceutical ads one is bombarded with on a daily basis, which leads people to believe that the only solution for good health is a potentially dangerous chemical.

I take about 3,000 mg of Vitamin C everyday, compared to the 65-95 mg that is found in a single multi-vite.

The Nobel Prize winning chemist, Linus Pauling, actually recommends 6,000-18,000 mg per day, but 1,500-2,500 is still incredibly beneficial for most people, and exceeds the insanely low FDA requirement.

There is an old myth that still prevails to this day, despite being disproven time and time again. That myth is that taking large doses of Vitamin C is useless and creates expensive urine; meaning that whatever your body doesn't use, it excretes. This is a fallacy.

I can say that I have taken mass amounts of Vitamin C for the past two years and I have not gotten sick once. I don't think that's coincidence.

Here is a very interesting and informative audio interview with medical journalist Bill Sardi, taken from Radio Liberty with Dr. Stan Monteith. In this 60 minute interview, Sardi discusses the benefits of Vitamin C, and how the true benefits of Ascorbic Acid have been suppressed by the pharmaceutical industry for so many years.

More reading:

Bill Sardi

Vitamin C Foundation

The Antioxidant Vitamin

2. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Most Americans are deficient in vitamin C? What are you talking about?

Vitamin C deficiency causes Scurvy among other things, and when was the last time you heard of scruvy in the US in the last 50 years?

Vitamin C is found in mass amounts in EVERYTHING nowadays. Fruit juices, fruit snacks, cereals, you name it. If it has the smallest hint of a citris fruit flavor, it'll be advertised as a vitamin C supplier.

Vitamins B12, fiber, and CALCIUM (esp. for women) are much more lacking in todays society. Everyone knows about vitamin C, it's the lesser-known vitamins that people are generally deficient in.

3. Pressed_Rat

They are still deficient in Vitamin C, despite all the crap they add to the food, which is really nothing at all. They might not be deficient enough to have scurvy, but deficient enough to have weak immune systems and cardiovascular systems, and more at risk for certain cancers.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Most Americans (and people of the world for that matter) do not consume a quarter of the Vitamin C they should be.

Don't believe everything you read on labels. Fruit snacks and cereals don't provide what is needed to receive the full benefits of the nutrient. It might be preventing scurvy, which is a SEVERE lack of vitamin C, but it's not preventing other illnesses and cancers.

4. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

He didn't say americans were deficient in C. He just said taking C in mass doses-- several grams as opposed to the 65 mil.grms. that the gov. is calling the min.daily allowance--is beneficial.

edit: oops, looks like I read everything except the first line. nevermind.

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

sodium ascorbate is the most absorbable form of vitamin c. you can convert regular ascorbic acid over to sodium ascorbate by adding baking soda to it. Anyways, to back up mr. rat, the kind of vite c normally added to foods is ascorbic acid, and i would have to say that the effects of eating those overly processed foods would more than consume the wee little extra bit of vite C that's been added in it's less absorbable form. One of my motto's is that if they have to fortify a food to be able to sell it, then people shouldnt be eating it in the first place.

And it wouldnt be surprising to me to find that most people eating a standard american diet (sad) have a subclinical form of scurvy.

Another micronutrient that is lacking from most people who eat a sad is magnesium.

6. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

If you are going to take mass doses of Vit. C, take it in smaller doeses throughout the day. If you just take it all at once you really can't absorbe all of it. Your body just doesn't have enough of the appropiate enzymes to get it all at once. Also, drink lots of water. Taking a lot of any vitiman, mineral, protein, whatever, puts extra stress on your kidneys. Trust me on this one, biochemistry is my cup of tea.

7. Pressed_Rat

That is what I do; three times a day.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

isn't V C water soulouble?
    Isn't it the neon pee culprit?
    We don't store it, so I know daily infusions are good..eat those oranges, kids!

9. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

I eat a lot of fruits and drink juices like Orange and Cranberry. I can't imagine that I would be even nearly Vitamin C deficient.

10. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

yep- ive heard all that.

also, in addition- taking a large dose of vit. C (2,000 or something like that) at once... wakes you up better then caffeine and doesnt make you jittery, tired afterwards, and all of that.

damn! i just remembered... we ran out of vit. c tablets yesterday. :(

11. Ariel SilverSpirit

Ariel SilverSpirit Member

It's all about balance. Taking mass doses of anything is bad. It's true our bodies can't absorb large amounts, and it's better to take smaller doses. Especially with natural remedies, we need to have a constant supply for our bodies to use them properly. Some take time to get working. I'm learning about thses things personally through a wholistic nutritionist. Because everyone's chemistry is different, the best way to know what we need is by getting tested for ph levels and know how much of what minerals and stuff is in there. A good practitioner who knows how to do the tests can interpret the results and tell you what you need in the right amounts for your chemistry. It takes awhile to get back in balance and may cost a bit but isn't our health is worth it? Along with that, we eat better, less processed things, too, no cow's milk, processed sugar, less caffene, no white bread. We can enjoy some fun stuff but in moderation.
    -Ariel SilverSpirit-

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

neon pee is from thiamine in the b-vites. it's actually a really good marker to indicate that your vites are being absorbed and arent just passing thru whole

13. interval_illusion

you know.... i heard a report lately and i dont know if its true or not... but i heard taking over 3000 mg's of vit.C a day can actually be harmful to your health...... im not saying its true or not true but some medical "authories" said that. weird

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

bah, it's a load of crap, i_i. it has to do with codex alimentarius. the pharma guys cant make money off of their drugs if pple are maintaining their health naturally. look into that study a bit more and try to find out who is funding it/where the funding is coming from. that'll give you some insight on why the story is being spun that way.

linus pauling did a lot of research into vite C. it was his life's work. the guy was a genius, won awards for his work, etc. read some of his stuff on vite c, it's eye opening.

15. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

"Subclinical scurvy" is not recognized by data based health care or practicing Medical Care Professionals. If you have scurvy, it shows. Only less than fact based sites and books use the term. In essence, there is no such thing, if you don't get enough Vit C, you will get scuvy. There is no such thing as a "subclinical case." Too many with too little medical data use the term "subclinical" incorrectly for too many nonexistant conditions.

However, IF you take massive doeses of Vit C, you will actually become more prone to actual scurvy if you reduce to a normal dose,(such as that found in food) which would protect an otherwise healthy person. There have been reports in the medical literature of infants of mothers who abuse Vit C being born and developing Rebound scuvy in a short amount of time. It has also been said to occur when a lactating mother uses mass doses. The Upper Tolerable Limit of Vit C in a Pregnant Female is about 1,800 mgs per day. Any more than this can cause health problems. The Upper Tolerable Limit in most nonpregnant and non lactating females and adult males is 2,000 mgs per day.

This is from several studies on overuse of Vit C and rebound scurvy

As druminmama has said, the best place to get Vit C is in your food. This is not only the most healthy way to get it, but overdosing and predisposing yourself to rebound scurvy and possible GI illness will not happen with food as it may with large overdoses of supplements.

There are three peer reviewed data based studies to confirm this. Later studies have reproduced the same findings.

16. interval_illusion

thanks nimh :) i didnt really believe it was trueor even where i read it but it was something i wasnt sure WASNT true either, know what i mean? now that you mentioned who was funding the study i realize you are prolly right and it makes sense.

that was the first time i ever heard it COULD be harmful... i heard the stuff about certain amounts wont be absorbed and all that and SOME vits and/or minerals CAN be harmful in large doses but i really didnt think C was like that and that's why i was surprized to hear that.

now that i think about it.. that IS crap or else they'd be telling people not to eat too many apples ;) haha

17. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nvmd

18. interval_illusion

time to take my vitamins[​IMG]

19. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

You can get to much Vit. C.(just like any other vitiman) Especially if you take it all at once, space it through out the day. Your body can't store it and can only adsorb so much at one time. The rest has to be filtered out and makes your kidneys work harder. So if your going to take a lot of it, get it in small amounts throughout the day, like from fresh fruit and vegtables. Vit. C is a good thing and most people don't get enough but your body produces its own antioxidents, especially one called supraoxidedimutase. If you get to many (and by that I mean a lot, not just a little a lot, an insanely large a lot, far more than the average hippe:) ) then your body produces less of its own, which you need for specific chemical reactions.

20. Josh_the_Small

Josh_the_Small Member

Interesting fact: Kiwis have about twice as much vitamin C as oranges do.
    Thought that might help in your vitamin c overdoesing goals.