Visiting San Fran

Discussion in 'California' started by ItsALoveThing, May 9, 2007.

1. ItsALoveThing

ItsALoveThing Member

The boyfriend, his mom and I are going up to San Fran in June.

We're going to check out Alcatraz, China Town, the wax museum, and I think that's all we've come up with so far.

Any suggestions? I'm the hippie, not the boyfriend or his mom :)

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Visit Vesuvius.
    Its a bar where all the beats hung out. next door is a book store that published alot of their writings.

3. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2358548&postcount=9

This is probably one of the hottest responded to questions I can think of... well, next to "What is a(n) hippie/hippy?"

I would suggest you look at the http://mistersf.com/ website and check out local joints. Also be prepared to gain weight because there is no better food on earth. And bring a pair or two of GOOD walking shoes. They call their mountains "streets".

4. TodayWasYesterday

TodayWasYesterday Member

Hmm... well, you should check out upper and lower Haight Street because there's really a lot of good, eclectic shopping. Some of the best thrift stores in the world are on that street. If you like books, make sure to check out Forever After Books. It's a really neat used bookstore that is really, really amazing. There's also some historical stuff to check out on Haight, e.g. The Grateful Dead's old house on Ashbury. But, be warned... there are also a lot of really down and out people, and it can get to be pretty sad at times.

Make sure to go visit Ghirardelli Square, too! If you like chocolate, you will LOVE that place.

5. Garden Knowm

Garden Knowm Member

Yuu are going to love SF.. it is fantastic.. I would highly reccomend you come across the bridge and walk around campus at UC Berkeley.... You can take BART from SF to Berkeley... it is a nice subway ride.. about 20 minutes... And when you go onto campus you should tae the elevator up to the top of the clock tower.. It is a great view of the golden gate bridge and the entire bay area..

iloveyou

6. ItsALoveThing

ItsALoveThing Member

Thanks guys! I'm going to try to check all of that out.

I'm so excited! I want to visit all the shows and really experience the culture out there

7. yatoldmeso

yatoldmeso Member

theres some pretty cool stores on market street. oh and definatly check out the metreon center.

8. electrolover

electrolover Member

Hi, I'm from SF but living in England right now. I just got home from a 2 week visit, already homesick!

Walk across the GGB, go check out Golden Gate Park and the new DeYoung Museum, walk up to Coit Tower in North Beach (fantastic views) Shopping in Union Square and then ride the Cable Car to the Marina, from there you can walk Fishermans Wharf. Alcatraz is a must, and wander around Haight St, good shopping and great people watching!

And if by any chance you are near the Mission/Valencia area, stop at Boogaloo's for breakfast, corner of 22nd & Valencia. Nothing really special, but best pancakes ever!!!

Hope you have a great time! Best city on earth!

9. ItsALoveThing

ItsALoveThing Member

Thank you electro!!

We're also going to Rainbow Cafe... anyone experience that?