Virus Alerts May 2004

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by xaosflux, May 13, 2004.

1. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As was suggested, please post pertinent info about CURRENT virus issues in this thread...I'll Start a new one each month.

2. xaosflux

McAfee has a pretty good page for the current viruses as well, see http://vil.nai.com for their lab reports.

3. renee

renee Member

The new "Sasser" virus is out. It's been out for many days now and infecting many computers like wild fire! Putting your connection under firewall may prevent this virus from leaking into your computer. Download the patch on windows.com to prevent the virus from attacking your computer once or again. Even though officials caught the hacker from Germany, it is still spreading. This virus causes a program (SHELL) to not respond and makes your computer reboot constantly. Reinstalling Windows will not terminate this virus, as a matter of fact, it's in the system itself. This virus only effects windows XP and ME users. Thank you for your time to read this.

4. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's what I got recently, and it was a pain in the ass to get rid of. Mostly because my computer wouldn't stay on long enough for me to download the patch for it. I could only spend about one minute online before it would shut my computer off...and it doesn't help that I have a dial-up connection. :mad:

But I finally got it fixed. Firewall works wonders. Never connect to the 'net without it. :D If I had my firewall up in the first place, I probably never would have got the virus. So that was an error on my behalf. But all is well! Until the next hacker comes along, that is. :mad:

5. renee

renee Member

Did ya notice that most of the hackers are young teenage boys? :eek:

6. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Hey, now that you mention it, they have mostly been teenage boys. Pissant little bastards. :mad: lol j/k

7. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

I know I put this in the other tread but I thought more people would see it here.
    Type netstat -na in the MS-DOS prompt to see the list of connections to your computer, check for the fallowing...
    NetBus Pro: {1243}
    NetBus Normal: {12345}

Subseven 1.9 & 2.0: {1243}
    Back Orifice: {31337} {666}
    Deep Throat: {6670} {6671}
    Blade Runner: {21}
    Win Crash: {21} {3024}
    GirlFriend: {21544}
    Hackers Paradise: {31} {456}
    Delta: {26274} {47264}
    That's the basic list of the most popular trojans, there are soo many more...
    As far as all the hax0rs being caught being young males, there are two things to keep in mind, first off, teenage boys that are hella big losers can be bright at times. lol, and seconley these are the ones that were caught. I am sure there are chicka hax0rs also, they just must be better at it.. ;) ~peace~

8. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

They aren't "hackers." They're worm kiddies; they take a pre-coded virus, change a few things, give it some goofy name and let it loose. :( It's not too often anybody actually ever unleashes something innovative, mostly it's just some high-school kids who seek attention and can't do anything constructive with their free-time...little bastards. :p

9. renee

renee Member

LMBO!:D
    :p

10. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

11. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Hey, those numbers {1243} for example, where are those located in the prompt? The local address? Foreign Address?

12. brothersun

brothersun Member

being attacked by this trojan every 2 minutes ( please help. ran antivirus etc found nothing. its being blocked by norton internet security. But its ver annoying and affecting my online gaming:(

13. xaosflux

Those are the Destination Ports that would be open on your machine.

Running the command show may only list port numbers.

14. xaosflux

I'm seeing a lot of activity as well re: sockets de trois v1 trojan; all you can do is block it, further action would require the ISPs to do something.

15. xaosflux

A vulnerability in most Symantec/Norton Internet products has been released this week. If you use these products (e.g. Norton Personal Firewall) it is important to do a Live Update and get any needed patches quickly. Running an unpatched product may actually be worse then running no product at all on a properly secured system.

16. Maverick

Maverick Banned

I run a firewall. Keeps lots out. Blaster and Sasser. I actually got Sasser though. Easy enough to remove(only requires a reg hack and a file deteletion). I had the blaster virus a few times. But because I now have a high speed connection, I can stay current with my virus and windows updates.

17. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

As I understand it , there are very few if any viruses writen for Macs.Most the new ones are writen for XP which is another good reason to hang on to a Win98 platform.

18. renee

renee Member

Macs can get viruses?
    :confused: