violin vs. mandolin

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by nerdayasian, Jun 2, 2007.

1. nerdayasian

nerdayasian Member

ive played the violin for bout 8 years or so. and played the guitar for about 1 and a half. do you think i could easily pick up the mandolin?

2. guitarman

guitarman Member

oh yes, mandolin is much like guitar. it is also more portable if you wish to sit in front of the local conveniant store and sing.

3. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Definately. You'll have it easier than most guitar players, probably - the mandolin is like the guitar like guitarmand said, and it's tuned like a violin!

4. Cipher

Cipher Member

yeah, i play guitar mostly, and i picked up the mandolin, (not really seriously as its an antique) and its easy to pick up, but you may have to get used to the double strings and the small frets, i picked up violin as well a few weeks ago, and thats definitely more of a difference from guitar, also use guitar chords backwards (as the tuning is)

5. lizziet84

lizziet84 Member

I Love Mandalins!!
    Brillient Folk Instrument
    Along With Harps...exilent
    Any One Else Think That A Mandalin Sounds Like A Dolcimer? Or Is It Just Me?
    Peace

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

duh...a mandolin is a double strung violin with frets. gg-dd-aa-ee
    It should be a no brainer and very gratifying to pick up. Esp since you probably already know a bunch of fiddle tunes.
    have fun!

7. Nickie loves you

Nickie loves you Member

If you wanted to do more solo type things, i'd suggest the violin, but if you were doing chords in a band or something, the mandolin's the way to go.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

hey now, I know plenty of lead mando players: Michael Kang and Jeff Austin come immediately to mind.
    Sam Bush
    Drew Emmit