Violence in Movies!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by winston Smiths Diary, Jan 27, 2005.

1. winston Smiths Diary

winston Smiths Diary Member

There is so much said now about violence in films and computer games,

I think its all rubbish, I watch Horror movies, I watch violent movies, I play violent PS2 games but I dont want to go kill any one!

Hell Ive probably read more violent and horrible books than the movies Ive seen!

My point is this:-

Jack the ripper, what movie did he see, what computer game was he playing?
    None, and what he did was horrific!

Even Marilyn Manson has got the blame!

what do you guys think?

2. the zen-man puck

the zen-man puck Member

hey all need you need to know the diffrence between reality (which sucks sometimes) and fantasy.

3. winston Smiths Diary

4. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

An interesting point and one which does not go away. Puritans love to have their penny's worth, but it's obvious that they're fighting a losing battle, because if 'it' can make a buck then it will be produced, no matter what! And the more fuss they kick up, as you all know, the more it will sell. Ergo the hipocrisy of mankind(hold on! I'm begining to sound like The Architect! Shit!) Selling violence is no creation of the 20th or 21st Century media. The Romans were a lot more adept with their colloseums and crucifixions. The French with their guillotine. The English with their vast range of slow torture. Ditto the Spanish with their Inquisitors, the Aztecs with their sacrifices and most likely every race on the planet has their hands dirty in one way, or another. Hence, if we manage to evolve in the next few millenia, then we may be able to address this ethos on principle. Now, I'm off to eat some more of my dictionary...

5. winston Smiths Diary

Yeah, my point exactly, but they always have to blame something or someone dont they!

6. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Yes, they do. I guess people cant except that people are just dumb and or crazy. What ever happened to being crazy, I guess you just cant be crazy, guess its just everyone elses fault but your own.

7. Crayola

Crayola =)

u dont need to be a complete nutcase to be influenced by a movie or a book. u just need to be easily influenced. kids are easily influenced. they quickly think some 'violent act' is cool cuz they saw it performed on tv by their favorite characters. of course i think its stupid to wanna ban violent movies cuz a few pple did violent things after seeing them, the only thing to do is make sure your kids are aware that in real life decapitating someone is NOT cool.

i remember some survey i read a long time ago, in which they asked american kids if they would like to kno what it feels like to take a bullet in their leg for example, and like 50% of them answered that yea, they would.. they thought the pain would be bearable and they'd accept it in a way...
    thats crazy, i mean u could die from the pain of takin a bullet just anywhere in your body

all this to say that yea, whatever u do, there'll always be pple that mistake tv /films /videogames for real life

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I agree..
    I heard the kids at columbine thought Marlyn manson 'sucked' ?

though
    Just could i add though, that easily influenced kids playing games were their are no real consequences might just think that this is what they would achieve in reality ?. The over stimulation of fighting killing listening to music (of wich they may completly miss the point of) just fuels their anger ??.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Kids aren't as stupid as you guys are making them out to be. You guys say "easily-influenced" but what you mean is can't tell fiction from reality. The only way killing because of a video game or movie would count as easily-influenced would be if the video game or movie wanted you to kill. Otherwise, it is just stupidity.

10. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

not true. unfortunately, I saw "pearl harbor" and I really had the urge of killing someone, especially those people who were involved in the damn movie.

11. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

I think that blaming the movies is really stupid.. yet in some rare cases, with already unstable people, I can imagine it's true. :/

Personally I listen to Marilyn Manson, Eminem and some other people that get blamed for loads of shit. I watch all the horror movies I come across.. and not once have I felt even remotely tempted to go out and kill someone. o_O
    And this is coming from someone who saw Halloween for the first time when they were 5.

12. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

There was a mass-murderer in Greece who killed several women, because of the noise their high-heels made as they walked on the pavement at night when he was trying to sleep. Does that mean that we have to ban women from wearing high-heeled shoes? Millions of people die from cigarette induced symptoms. Why aren't cigarettes banned? The crime rate in NY increases during the summer. Should we cover the city with a giant white dome to keep away the sun's rays? And at the end of the day if nothing else will kill us, old age will. Society's values change through the ages whether we want them to or not. I'm sure that when we're old and grey we're going to be just as much bemused by what goes on around us as every old fogey that's lived on this planet before us.