vintage is now 'in'

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by arlia, Apr 2, 2007.

1. arlia

arlia Members

it is both frustrating and kinda nice at the same time, going to all the shops and everything being really gorgeous.
    then you look at the little air heads walking around in bleached hotpants and some psycadelic print baby doll dress with buble bee sunglasses and it frustrates me.

Thise people used to pick on me and now theyre dressing how I did at school.
    grrrrrrr

2. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i hear ya. my moms a fashion designer who works with vintage style and material, and weve been watching the trends and laughing when people start to dress like us lol! its getting harder to find good stuff in the thrift stores though :(

3. arlia

arlia Members

yup the thrift stores around here used to be great, selling lots of vintage wares for really cheap, now they are expensive :-/

I guess making my own clothes has its purpose even more now

4. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

yeah, for sure. im just learning how to make my own clothes. i can knit a little and crochet a lot but im no good at sewing. it just seems so complicated lol

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Vintage styles have been in for quite a while, hasn't it? I remember being in junior high with some of the more 'retro' styles coming in.... Fashion is about constant rehashing, I suppose...

And arlia, no worries about getting picked on.... there's always a first when it comes to trends, and the one who's the first to wear it always stands out in the crowd...

6. pheonix

pheonix Member

thats how i feel. a year ago the majority of my class made fun of me cause of the way i dressed and the music i listened to. now everyone thinks that the "hippie style" is the shit. i grew up with two hippie parents. i didnt just wake up one day and say "i totally want to act like a hippie", thats just the way i was since i was little.

people like that annoy me, but i try to tolerate them as best i can.

7. arlia

arlia Members

yup i know what you mean pheonix, my dadyo is a hippie :)
    he grew up in aferica too, so I got a little bit of that culture in me too.
    :)

8. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

It's a trend and it'll die soon enough.

9. pheonix

pheonix Member

my dad didnt grow up in africa, but he worked there for a couple years. we always had all this african stuff around our house. paintings, baskets, clothes...i always thought it was so cool.

10. arlia

arlia Members

when the trend dies, maybe il hit the sales :)

yeah I love african stuff too ;-)
    where did your dad work

11. pheonix

pheonix Member

he worked in the capitol building in Nigeria.

12. arlia

arlia Members

cool, im off to ghana west africa in july, will be collecting lots of funky fabrics ;-)
    lots of gorgeous kente cloths :)

13. pheonix

pheonix Member

that sounds sweet. im jealous. i cant wait to go to africa sometime.

14. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

Yes, i know what your all talking about with this vintage thing being in now.
    And the sad part, is now when people look and see the way i dress, they think I'm just doing it because it's a fad and I'm following the crowd. But I've dressed this way my whole life, and suddenly people who once called my clothes "ridiculous" are suddenly wearing them constantly. It just upsets me....little posers is what they are.

15. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

yeah vintage got popular a few times when i was in school.

especially when I was in the 12th grade. everyone started going to the goodwill and buying little boys t-shirts and wearing em as babydolls.... and everyone started getting old plaid bellbottoms and stuff too...

the vintage look (at least where I live) has been coming back every summer I can remember since grunge went out of style LOL with the swishy skirts, hippie dresses and big belts and sunglasses..

I started wearing allman brothers shirts and bellbottoms to school when I was in the 4th grade and everyone thought it was hillarious... thats why I thought it was funny when flared jeans came back in style and all the "preppy" girls HAD TO HAVE EM!!

16. pheonix

pheonix Member

Yes Yes Yes!!! that is exactly what happens to me! I hate it.

17. arlia

arlia Members

same here, it bugs me big time

18. pheonix

pheonix Member

i think something should be done about this.

19. MeowMix

MeowMix Member

Theres a store in my really rich town [martin county richest county in FL :(] called vintedge and they have a bunch of cool stuff, funny thing is msot of it isn't real vintage its new but made to look like it would be vintage and then the stuff that is vintage is really ugly, and all the preppies come in and buy a bunch of shit

20. arlia

arlia Members

hehehe, that is funny