Vincent Van Gogh

Discussion in 'Art' started by Beautiful_Day, May 24, 2004.

1. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

I just randomly thought to do a thread about this because im listening to Don McCleans song about Vincent...and the new series on TV about him.

Anyone here like his art or do you think he is overrated??

I personally really like most of his art work, especially Starry Night...

2. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Yeah me likes! 'Starry Night on Rhone' is probably my favourite painting.
    Did you know that he was born in the Netherlands?!
    :eek: I always thought he was French until Jamie corrected me and shattered the dream...

Ohhh, and I like that Don Mclean song too!

3. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

:D Kool

You should watch the documentary on TV about him...Channel 4 on Sundays, 8 pm. its the last one next week though :(

4. Smudge

Smudge Member

Hi Xiola
    I know a 15 year old from Preston called Christopher... I don't suppose you do, do you... strangely enough - he's mad about art.:cool:
    He posts on the Christian forum I run.

Anyway- Van Gogh... there's a film made in the 60's about him, called 'lust For Life' which is excellent... his life story is really interesting, but sad at the end.

[​IMG]

5. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i was fortunate to see his works up close and personal...the starry night, the original, is amazing in person...i was able to see the gauguin and van gogh exhibit at the chicago art museum.....amazing....beyond words...i hope to someday get to the netherlands to go to his museum.....

6. alex714

alex714 To the Left

oh he is one of my favs... i find his style, technique and life very intresting.
    very tragic that he wasnt recognized in his own time, but i guess thats part of his appeal. i love his shading techniques especially, the contrast. i would love to see some of his works in person.

7. scarlettchasingroses

his work is amazing in person....the pictures of it or reproductions of it do not do it justice....i find it funny how vincent used so much paint as he was a very rich man, but gauguin used it quite sparingly and he had the money to spend on paint.....just amazing....

8. scarlettchasingroses

i could go on and on about art and artists.....

i've thought about becoming an art history teacher

9. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

I have stary night on my wall. Van Gogh's a good man. The only work i've seen in person is "Olive Trees". "The cafe terrace", is one of my favorites. Another one of my favorite paintings, is skull with burning ciggarette.

[​IMG]

10. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

i am yet another starry night lover - i just am in awe of the way he painted the stars - it is beautiful.

11. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

"Starry Night" is my absolute favorite painting of all time. It's absolutely a beautiful portrait.

12. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

yes his life is very fascinating and I think he had an amazing talent, but I think maybe he is overrated, nevertheless I do think he's great and my favorite Van Gogh is Afternoon Siesta...

13. dhs

dhs Senior Member

Of course he was great, he was a redhead! I was fortunate to go to the Van Gough musuem while I was in Amsterdam in March, which was fantastic. Though it is the biggest collection of his works, most of his more famous works are not there including Starry Night

14. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

I really love Van Gogh. His paintings are amazing

15. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

vincent van gogh.... sigh!!i love him and his works....
    i read this book "lust for life" by irving stone...awsome...
    i love the way he paitined... awsome brushstrokes
    though there was a time in the beging i thought his work was slightly overrated... ofcourse lookin at it in depth would change your persepective!
    i love stary nights, sunflowr and iris
    only thing i always wonder is...why the great ones r never realy recognised till theyre gone?

16. Tradere

Tradere Member

Most people that like Van Gogh who have never seen his paintings in person will love him after they see them in person. I went to the T'Dorsay (I'm not sure how to spell it) and no painting I ever seen ( and I've been quite a few nice places) match Van gogh's style...He is more original than any other painter dead or living

17. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

DARN MY LUCK! i wish i had an opportunity to see van gogh's works in person the only intl. artist whose works i've seen in person is PICASSO, they got some of his paitings to india couple of years back.

18. fi_J

fi_J Member

reading this thread made me think how great an influence vincent's work is on my own creative expression. all that movement and flowing forms in starry night to me express the life-energy-force all around us. he painted things like that for the pleasure it gave him... i think he needed that. his life wasn't easy.

lucky for him, his brother was the one who did most of his dealing, usually in paris.

i saw the van gogh museum in amsterdam, too. it was a fabulous day!! so much to absorb. i wish i could remember it all, i just bought postcards of a few favourites out of the limited selection. (mmm peach and apple blossom triptych...) i'd go back again in a sec!

i once stuck gow-in-the dark stars all over my friend's ceiling in a shape like the starry night swirls. :D (i don't remember the pain in my neck and shoulders after that creation...)

starry night, yum!

19. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i love him. i went to the van gogh museum too. The painting of his bedroom is my favourite one.