"Video games must become less complicated"

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Power_13, May 26, 2004.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

So says the head of Nintendo. He reckons that players are becoming bored with the overcomplicated controls and levels that are becoming too difficult, and that companies are spending too much time concentrating on things such as graphics and special effects.

Two words: Universal Combat :p

2. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

goddamn,
    if anything they should be more complicated j/k,
    what nintendo needs to do is make more games with the "M" rating if they expect to sell any games. they also need to stop being the game company for kids.

3. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Agreed, Nintend doesn't have enough games without the ESRB rating for 6+ years and older.

4. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I don't know...I can see wisdom and foolishness in his (I can't remember his name) words. Back in the day, a lot of the addictive games that brought in tons of money were deceptively simple - Pac Man and Donkey Kong, for example. In fact, I'd wager money that Pac Man is among the most copied games ever...because it's a familiar, simple yet lucrative formula. But you both reminded me of something I'd not considered...that games have a huge market in almost all age groups, and some people do prefer complexity - such as the flight simulator market, where companies have to walk a thin line between making their game too complex and difficult to learn, and making it too simple.

Maybe the key isn't simpler controls or easier levels, but simpler/original concepts?