vegetarian soldier

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by brandonveg, May 9, 2007.

1. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

So I haven't been on here in a while because I am in the army now.....save the shit talk about me being in the army.... but yeah anybody can be a vegetarian if I can because it is not the easiest thing to do when you are in the army... especially in the middle of nowhere alaska.

2. Hobes

Hobes Member

idk my self but it is strange to find ppl who join the on THIS web site. why did you join?
    yay 200th POST

3. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

cause i got tired of my friends dying and me sitting at home....and i needed a secure job and a way to go to school.

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

((((((hugs!!!))))))
    I've got a lot of friends & family in the military.
    SOMEBODY has to do it. And thank YOU for choosing to keep us all safe :)
    love,
    mom

5. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

I'm also a veg in the army. I'm not active, but national guard. It is hard being veg, especially when they feed you and it's mainly meat. Have veg MRE's, but are hard to get ahold of because everyone likes them the best.

I'm a musician and it's not that bad of a way to go. Just because you are in the military does not make you a gung ho shoot em up kind of guy. I joined years ago before Iraq started up. Good way for me being a musician to be employed and get financial aid for school.

What is your MOS? Are you active or reserve component?

Peace!

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

my best buddy is active military in Biloxi. Her son will be deployed in June.
    both facts make my heart ache.
    I disagree in many many ways with the war, and also the economic system that makes people feel they HAVE to join for an education.
    but I believe that if one is veg, they have the right to be so while serving.

as for people who think military service and freakdom incompatible, Jerry Garcia and Mickey Hart both served.

Country Joe MacDonald is playing his heart out to get medical care for vets who need it.

7. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I think it is horrible that they do not give you diet options! You give up having a "normal" life so that we don't have to. Thank you! Congrats for sticking to your beliefs and not giving in! <hugs>

8. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

i am active duty infantry.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Good for you :)
    I don't agree with the politics of most wars, but always suppourt the troops. It's a noble professon, and commenable of you for standing by your principles.

I know someone who joined up so she could go to medical school, seems a little ironic in the grand scheme of things but there you.

10. Rue Takedo

Rue Takedo Member

Someone I love is active duty Army infantry, and my boyfriend Fenikkusu is Marine Reserves; you're in stellar company. Congrats on sticking to your decision, and thank you for serving our country. And if anybody gives you shit about it, send 'em my way.

11. Gattaca

Gattaca Banned

So you're all about the ethical treatment of animals, but you'll join the army and go out and kill people?

So much for compassionate living.

12. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

This vegetarian soldier is a musician in the service; therefore, he does not kill anyone douche bag!

13. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

I wouldn't be able to kill anyone. Not everyone in the army is a killing freak! You can think what you want to, but I've been through the training (bootcamp), etc. and know that not everyone is a shoot 'em up kind of person. All types of people exist in all types of groups. You can read a disturbing thread on this very forum, under true confessions called "I have the guts to kill someone, do you?". You would think every member of this forum is against killing right? If you presumed like I did, we were both totally wrong! Read it... Pretty disturing, of open minded members of the hipforum! (Hip)... Don't be so quick to judge people based on association!

14. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

I knwo gattaca was banned but i still wanted to reply to his comment.... #1 I did not say I was a vegetarian because I believe in the ethical treatment of animals. #2 I dont go out and kill people....Will I? I sure as hell will - but Im not going to go out looking to kill people but if someone is gonna shoot me you had better damn well believe that i am going to duck and shoot back...and if you dont believe me i can almost garuntee you that if i were to walk up and slap you across the face chances are that you would probably come at me.
    As far as ethics go.....have you ever seen homes for the mentally handicapped inside of a city called Fallujah, Iraq? That is where Saddam ordered that these people have there hands and legs cut off and some were beheaded....Now I am not going to argue about the war here because personally - I dont give a shit about iraq. I just do what Im told....but maybe people should think before they speak........assumptions - they make an ass out of you and me.

15. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

not everybody in the army loves jesus, either.

16. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

That is true. It's true of any group, even someone's church congregation. Not everyone in the service is hetero either, I know a few that are homo. What does that prove?

17. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

ANYWHO.......Im not in the army anymore....just for an update.....Im back home.....i was medically discharged because apparently i am bipolar and ahve antisocial personality disorder.....and wahtever the heck else they wrote down about me........

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

congrats and glad you are safely home.

19. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

1 of my son's is in Iraq now (for the second time) and he has spent time off & on as a veggie. Not sure how he is eating while serving in the war though.

20. zihger

zihger Senior Member

Thanks brandonvegā€¦

You make being a vegetarian possible with out the war in Iraq we would not have the gas to ship our vegetables to be vegetarians.

So these vegetarians talking crap about the war would be eating hot dogs with out it.Someone has to go fight to get the gas that gets the veggies to the store shelves.

True vegetarians and vegans should support the war without it the vegetarian lifestyle is goneā€¦