Vegetarian Date Dinner!!

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Ryver, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Ryver

Ryver Member

I need your help! I have been a vegetarian for almost a year and I have never cooked for anyone other then myself much less a date. I have a date with a wonderful young lady tomorrow, both of us are vegetarians and I need something fabulous to make!! She wants me to surprise her. Help help help help help!!

love,
    ryv

2. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

When your date arrive say you have a terrible headache and you need her to cook dinner........I'll bet she will be surprised...............(ó_ò)....................

3. spooner

spooner is done.

try the vegetarian forum.

4. Donvito1122

Donvito1122 Hippy Teacher to be!

You know what is always good...make a salad but use a ton of different lettuce, beans, maybe even a little rice..and a oil/vinegar or something like it as a starter. Then maybe you could try maybe some vegitarian faitas..not sure how to spell it lol..those mexican roll up things you can get. And instead of using like beef just put out some spicy rice, lettuce, cheese (unless you are a vegan), beans...anything that you can use to fill em up. Always looks nice and tastes good too..hope this helped bro.

Peace and good luck to you,

Al

5. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

go to a grocery store, they tend to have lots of tofu stuff and fake meats made from soy they're really easy to cook
    i have alot of veggie cook books if you have some type of flavour in mind, i could try and help you out

6. hemp726

hemp726 Member

a steak.

7. Ryver

Ryver Member

i have no idea what i want to make. like i said im so use to eating amys organics and pre packaged veg food that i have only really cooked a few times for myself. i need help! hah

8. hemp726

hemp726 Member

what about something like macaroni and cheese its nothing exotic but it is meatless. you could make it the home made way without using that stuff in the box.

9. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

[​IMG] Good luck on your date tomorrow!

That's awesome that you're cooking for her!

....Maybe....
    [size=+2]Vegetarian Lasagna[/size][size=+1]Prep: 20 min, Cook: 1:10.[/size]
    • 1 Tbs. olive oil
    • 2 onions, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 2 carrots, chopped
    • 2 large sticks celery, chopped
    • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    • 7 ounces mushrooms, chopped
    • 6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    • 2 Tbs. tomato paste
    • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    • 3/4 cup soft tofu
    • 3/4 lb. lasagna noodles
    • 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    • 1-1/2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté next 5 ingredients about 5 minutes until onions are soft. Stir in mushrooms and cook 1 minute. Stir in next 4 ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Beat tofu until smooth. Stir 1/4 cup tofu into vegetable mixture.

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 7-10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain. Spread a third of the vegetable mixture into a greased 9x13 inch ovenproof dish. Top with 2 sheets of pasta. Continue layering vegetable mixture and pasta, finishing with a layer of pasta. Spread remaining beaten tofu evenly over pasta. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over lasagne. Bake 50 minutes, or until golden.
    ....OR....
    [size=+2]Vegetarian Moussaka[/size][size=+1]Prep: 25 min, Cook: 1:20.[/size]
    • 2 Tbs. olive oil
    • 1 cup onion, chopped
    • 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
    • 1 cup zucchini, chopped
    • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp. oregano leaves, rubbed
    • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    • 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    • 3 Tbs. tomato paste
    • 1/2 cup red wine
    • 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
    • 2 cups milk
    • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
    • 3 Tbs. all purpose flour
    • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
    • 1/2 tsp. white pepper
    • 1 cup ricotta cheese
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté onion 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in mushrooms and zucchini and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in next 6 ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.

Turn on broiler. Arrange eggplant slices on an oiled broiler rack. Broil 3-4 minutes per side until browned. Set aside. Make bechamel sauce by scalding milk in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat until tiny bubbles appear. Remove from heat. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until just bubbling. Do not brown. Slowly whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until smooth. Do not brown. Slowly whisk in hot milk, stirring constantly 2-3 minutes until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in seasonings and set aside to cool slightly. Beat ricotta cheese in a bowl until creamy. Gently fold ricotta into the bechamel sauce. Stir in beaten eggs until thoroughly incorporated.

Preheat oven to 300°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and sprinkle the bottom with 2 Tbs. breadcrumbs. Place a layer of eggplant in the pan. Spread a layer of tomato mixture over top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering as long as ingredients last. Pour the ricotta sauce over the top and bake 1 hour, or until top is golden. Transfer moussaka to a wire rack and let stand 20-30 minutes before slicing.

The lasagna is pretty good....I haven't tried
    the moussaka.

[size=+2]Tangy Bean and Spinach Salad[/size][size=+1]Prep: 15 min.[/size]
    • 10 ounces canned pinto beans, or lima beans, drained and rinsed
    • 2/3 cup florets cauliflower
    • 2/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
    • 3/4 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
    • 1-1/4 green onions, with tops, sliced
    • 1/3 cup sweet and sour dressing
    • 2-2/3 cups baby spinach leaves
    • 7 ounces mandarin orange segments, drained
    • 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. roasted sunflower seeds, optional
    Combine beans and vegetables in salad bowl; pour dressing over salad and toss. Add spinach and oranges and toss; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon salad into bowls; sprinkle with sunflower seeds.

That salad is easy to make and it tastes great.

10. Ryver

Ryver Member

a lot of mac in cheese has animal products in it. atleast the cheese does. plus i want to show her that i care and that i tried hard. but thanks.

amazing. i love the lasagna! maybe i will attempt that. thank you sooo much. <3

11. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Good luck! :D

12. Ryver

Ryver Member

thank you!!

13. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Good luck man! I would go with the lasagna if it were me... I am not a vegetarian at the moment (although I was for like 6 months, then another time for about a month) and mostly what I ate were canned foods, pizza and things of that nature. But lasagna and maybe even a light salad would be an awesome meal.

Good luck with the cooking and on the date man!

14. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Also, if you dig on some garlic bread to go with that lasagna....

Garlic Bread

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 (1 pound) loaf unsliced French bread
    • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    • 2 large cloves fresh garlic, crushed and minced finely
    • paprika
    PREPARATION:

Cut French bread loaf into 1-inch thick slices, but not quite all the way through. Combine butter, parsley, and garlic, stirring well; spread between bread slices. Sprinkle each slice with a little paprika, if desired.

15. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

tofu stirfry with some sort of yummy sauce like spicy garlic (can purchase those premade too, the sauces that is) with either rice noodles or just rice
    mmmmm
    spicy tofu stirfry *drools*

16. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Garlic bread is VERY tasty, but you might want to second think this if you want to kiss on this date. Or maybe serve up some colgate for desert?

17. Ryver

Ryver Member

hah. I haven't been on a date in sometime. An actually real date were you cook for someone. I am pretty excited! Thanks for all the help peoples. :)

18. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

suppose for a minute that your date spent the last couple of hours surfing the Hip Forums...."bye bye surprise", if you cook one of the recipes posted here......but sure she will appreciate your efforts though.....
    Anyway, later I'm gonna taste the colgate dessert....

19. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

bruscetta, hummus, guac are all easy things to make and easy to buy that are quite vegan. When my husband and I started dating, he once cooked a veggie meal for me... it was tacos (you can buy the kit at the grocery store with the salsa, spices, and taco shells) and he just used the seasoning on tofu instead of ground meat, it was tasty!