Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Midget, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Midget

Midget Senior Member

My bro is taking me to Vancouver possibly, either this year or next year...since I'm 18 and the drinking age is 19. :p Where should I check out in Vancouver?

2. spooner

spooner is done.

blarneystone - always fun, best on friday night (don't try a fake, they scan them)
    shine - they have an 80's nite every thursday
    bourbon or cambie are always a blast on a saturday, especially with a big group of people (no cover at these)
    some of the pot cafe's can be a good time (new amsterdam is my fave)
    stanley park has some really beautiful scenery

3. jamaica

jamaica Member

commercial drive is cool / hip
    and granville market
    and the seawall

4. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Excelent...thanks for the replies, guys. :)

5. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Kitsilano Beach is nice.

Take the tram up Grouse mountain if it is clear out, and look down on the city from there, it is a great view, day and night.
    Gastown is funky.
    If you rent a car, the drive up to Squamish is beautiful too.

6. jamaica

jamaica Member

the thing about gastown is explore the side streets. if you just walk the main one you get alot of tourist stuff, which is still ok but there are some really cool shops in that area in general...

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

there's a bar in van where you can buy absinthe. i've been waiting until i'm done lactating to go and check it out. :D

8. spooner

spooner is done.

i hate kits. too many rich people.

9. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Wreck beach is worth checkin out....Whe I'm in Van I can almost always be spotted on Commercial.

10. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Sounds cool. :)

11. gratefullydead1

gratefullydead1 Member

Summertime spots are Sassamat lake in POCO, also lynn canyon in N. Van

12. YES I CANNABIS

YES I CANNABIS Member

commercial drive is the place to be

13. chaos

chaos Member

commercial is good, wreck beach is better

14. YES I CANNABIS

YES I CANNABIS Member

oh yeah, defintaly.. especially during the summer, there's no doubt, man..

15. chaos

chaos Member

y'all know about the purple thistle? its a rad little place for folks to hang out at, near commercial...
    i'll see if i can find their address..

16. chaos

chaos Member

that was easy to find... www.purplethistle.org

here is what their site says;;;

The Purple Thistle is a new-school youth project located on Commercial Drive. If you are between the ages of 15 - 26 and want to get involved with a funky croo, check us out. You can be in school or out, have artistic skills or not, have big ideas or not and you can attend as much or as little as you like.

The centre is democratically run, and works something like a community centre, something like a youth centre, something like a college. You can get involved with a currently running project, work on your own thing, meet cool kids and/or find the support to get new projects happening.
    We have a whole range of groups running, from visual arts to writing and publishing to travel to photo, as well several affiliated projects on the go. Each of the groups works with a mentor to develop participants’ skills individually and collaborates on major, on-going community projects like magazine publishing, murals and exchange trips, among much else.
    You can hang out, do your own work, get support to develop ideas, work with some great mentors, get career and educational information, get help finding a job/school/training, use our gear.
    Schedule
    Our schedule changes quite often, but this space is usually kept up to date. We have a long series of classes, workshops, events, projects and programs, most of which usually stay in place at a particular time and day of the week, but things do shift around.

17. jamaica

jamaica Member

why is the good soundin stuff always for those under 30? i think thats age discrimination:p

18. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I hear ya, but I don't think it is their fault. I see no reason why 30+ people can't start up similar groups. I wonder if the reason they don't is that they kind of gave up on fun. Most seem to be so busy making a living, they are missing out on life. I remember going to college when I was 21 and feeling so old......lol. Yet, I also saw how different my attitude was towards learning. Most of the 18 yr. old students were totally disinterested.

I hope that I live to be 90 and if I do, I will make a point of going to some hot dance club and gettin down.

19. jamaica

jamaica Member

yeah, i'm not a typical 34. certain 'friends' of mine think i should grow up and stop being a kid. i think its sad they think that 30 means the end of the road. i identify better with younger crowds usually more so than i do with my age group...especially the ones who have had children. ugh.

20. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i certainly hope that 30 isnt the end of the road!!

i've known people in their 70's and 80's who are still going strong, living life.

ps, what's a "typical 34"? hahaha!!

make sure you send me an invite LOL, i'll bring my 3-d holo-recorder