Vampire..

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Wynter, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Wynter

Wynter Member

Does anyone know any good vampire books?? There is threads about some here but is there any over-looked ones??

2. tebyen

tebyen Member

The Anita Blake series is pretty good.

It has vampires, various were-animals, zombies, and romance.

3. Dead Angel

Dead Angel Member

Well...I'm a young vanpire, and I can tell you that there is no good books about vampires...You'd better ask spesially THEM about their life...

4. Rael

Rael The Ruiner

Theres a Trilogy Called "The Diaries of the Family Dracul" By Jeanne Kalogridis
    #1-Covenant with the Vampire
    2-Children of the Vampire
    3-Lord of the Vampires

Other Than Bram Stoker's Dracula, these books were the best for me, It is kind of like a prelude to Bram Stokers book, but has more historical references to Vlad the Impaler. I've read alot of vamp books, but these are the only ones that made much of an impression on me. I highly recommend these, they blew me away.

5. Wynter

Wynter Member

i'll look out for them.

6. Anita

Anita Member

You'd better look Ann Reis books, they are really interesting and exciting. And even true.

7. Leki

Leki Member

I liked Amelia Atwater-Rhodes vampire books, if you read them you should read them in this order:
    1) In the Forests of the Night
    2) Demon in my View
    3) Shattered Mirror
    4) Midnight Predator

I liked them a lot. Not big books, but good for a quick read. Geared towards teens.

8. VampGrrl

VampGrrl Member

Adult readers:

I just read a really great one by Jenna Maclaine called The Wages of Sin. Also look for the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison, the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton (but only if you're over 18 as the laster books get rather sexually graphic), the Women of the Otherwold series by Kelly Armstrong, the Dark series by Christine Feehan, Moon-Called by Patricia Briggs, Katie Macalister's vampire series (and also her Aisling Grey series, though it's not vampire), Nina Bangs, Maggie Shayne, L.A. Banks....

Younger readers:
    L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries. Four book series I read when I was probably 15.

That'll get you started anyway!

Happy reading!
    Margaret.

9. sunshine829

sunshine829 Member

Sunshine by Robin McKinley... excellent!

10. Barefootsun

Barefootsun Member

the book of nod

i loved this book i was vary much in to vanpiers its one that reads in to the begening of it all with cane and abel read it i think you will like it

Peace
    Barefoot

11. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna *Femme Fatale*

Haha, watch out, she bites!

These may be obvious but:

-Bram Stoker's Dracula- a classic that is amazing.
    -Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles- incredible series that captures the imagination
    -Poppy Z. Brite- famous "gothy" author.
    -Anita Blake series... I forget the author, but she's a were-leopard vampire hunter that raises the dead and fights werewolves. Action packed and a lot of fun.
    -A Lady in the House of Love- short vampire story. So beautiful.

12. VampGrrl

VampGrrl Member

Actually, she is a human who dates wereleopards and werewolves. Well, in so-doing she fights with the alpha werewolf a lot but she is the wolf-queen and the leopard-queen even though she's human. Just to clarify, I wouldn't say she fights werewolves and she isn't a wereleopard herself. (It's really complicated.) The author is Laurell K. Hamilton and just a warning, it is an NC-17 series as they get very graphic and raunchy the further the series progresses. They really suck you into Anita's whole world though. And they do have a high ick-factor for blood and guts and dismembered body parts, so beware of that too.

13. Bella_Donna

Hmmmmm, the novel I've read has her fighting a clan of werewolves...:confused:

14. VampGrrl

VampGrrl Member

Well, like I said, there is some fighting... they don't always get along... but she has an intense on-again-off-again relationship with the alpha wolf and I think there is maybe one book where she isn't the pack's queen or enforcer or in some way has an official role among the werewolves. And sometiems there is fighting from outside clans of werewolves. But these aren't werewolf-fighting books. The werewolves, for the most part, aren't the bad guys. I'd really recommend to anyone reading this series that you read them in order. Each book is a stand-alone as far as, if you pick it up in the bookstore you won't be lost as to what is going on, but there are so many relationships and issues in this series that I can't imagine how confusing it'd be to read them out of order. See if this takes you to a list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R3015D52W1Q7A6/103-2088378-9781464?%5Fencoding=UTF8

M.

15. Bella_Donna

My theatre teacher actually gave me the only book of the series that I've read. It's definitely not the first. One day, I went to her office and saw she had an entire shelf of vampire books. I was in awe, I said, "Do you like vampires, then?" And she, "You tell me." And hands me a copy of a book on vampires that she wrote. It was so cool. Anyways, the next day in lecture, she walks over to me and says "I have a present for you!" and gives me an Anita Blake book. It was great.

16. ProzacBunny

ProzacBunny Member

I'd recommend The Time of Feasting by Mick Farren.

I'm blanking on the titles of the other vampire novels to recommend.

17. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Well, although Lost Souls is an excellent book, Poppy Z. Brite is FAR from being a "gothy" author. He left that stuff behind years ago and is now writing about gay chefs in New Orleans, nothing horror, vampire or whatever about it.

And as for the would-be cheeeeldren uv tha niiiiite here, grow up.

18. Court_lew_0216

Court_lew_0216 True Aquarius

i loved twilight by stephanie meyer and another ok one was thicker than water and im not really sure who it's by

19. fabioula

fabioula Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Zora neale hurston's theirit eyes where watching God.it's not really a religous book just something GREAT!!! it's also written by one of the greatest authors of all time . the book is just deep.

20. Bella_Donna

Well, his work is often discussed by "gothy" folks as being some decent vampire work. I didn't mean he himself was "gothy", just that he's recognized by the literary goths as a talented writer. Damn, guys, thanks for ripping my list apart... I was just trying to help!:p