vaccinations

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kyndmama, May 24, 2004.

1. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

I'm a mama to a 10 month old sweetie named Jaicee. Keep myself busy going every extra mile to give my daughter the best care . My husband and I do everything as natural as possible and we were curious as to who else does not vaccinate their children. There is such a huge contaversy over this issue. I'd love to hear what everyones thoughts are

2. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

The only potentially dangerous thing about vaccinations would be the murcury content, as in some children it causes autism. Other than that, I don't see why you wouldn't. I went to Africa last summer and had more vaccinations than you could imagine, but I'm still here. You shouldn't jepordize your kids lives just so you can brag about having "natural" children. I say, better safe than sorry.

3. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

vaccinations are part of government control. it is a tactic based on fear to convince you to submit to the will of the government, under the guise of societal responsibility.

4. Cre

Cre Senior Member

Studies have proven that this is not true.

As far as everything else you said, I totally agree. We chose to vaccinate after much deliberation. I don't regret it for a second. Your child will not be able to participate in any sports, schools, 4-H, or other things of this nature. You need to produce a shot record for all of these.

5. Cre

Cre Senior Member

Do you have any children? How old are you?

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

he is 40 something and no he has no children
    i have vaccinated my daughter though i do not always agree w/ the vaccinations. like chicken pox. whats the big deal? we have all had them and we are all here. there are certain risks to all of them, but as stated, without them, you are unable to go to school, activities, blah blah blah.
    but i don't think you are taking the wrong approach to it. if you are that against it, good for you for not!

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I have a child who was seriously brain injured by vaccines, and it wasn't the mercury, it was the type of attnuated virus itself. She is a strong, smart child, but has a serious brain injury, and I am sure it was due to the reaction she had after her second MMR (she had seizures) and DPT (she had a disoder called Cerebellar Ataxia, and was hospitalzed while they ruled out a brain tumor and meningitis.)

My kids are only selectively immunized. I chose the ones I learned had the most risk of disease, and the least risk of side effects.

My younger two are less immunized than my older two, as I learned more as I had more children.

The younger two have NOT had:
    Chicken Pox ("working" parent's conveneince vaccine, IMO. Unless your child has a severe immune system disorder, there is no reason to be afraid of Chicken Pox. Healthy kids don't get severely sick or die from Pox. Also there is the problem that the vaccine only lasts 3-10 years. Meaning, for your child to continue to be "immnue" to the Pox, they will have to have boosters for the rest of their lives. Adults will then have more occurances of the disease and they have more problems with the illness than healthy children do.)

Hepatitis B (too many side effects and NO occurances in children in our state that don't come from the mother, and I don't have Hep.)

MMR (Oh my God, too many side effects to mention, measles aren't a prboblem for otherwise healthy children)

Pertusis (caused horrible side effects and brain injury in one of my children and simply too many illnesses in too many children, and doesn't even prevent Pertussis all that often.)

Prevnar (my kids don't get "day care kids" shots and that is ALL Prevnar is.(My ped doesn't recommend it for home reared children at all, and says it is totally unneccesary for totally breastfed children who are raised at home.) The illnesses that Prevnar "prevents" are usually ONLY found in Instutional settings, and also are FAR from 100% protective. Also, it is NOT an "ear infection vaccine" which is what some call it. It vaccinates for only one of the dozens of bacterium which can cause ear infections, But it not in any way protective against ear infections in general.)

There are others I can't think of right now. I think it is every parent's obligation to investigate what their children need, the situation they will be in (kids in day care will probably need more vaccines than Home Reared children, as they are exposed to more illnesses and less likely to get as many immunizations from human milk directly from the breast or at all.) I have done more than a hundred hours of research on vaccines for my younger two kids, and some before that. Dont just take "some doctor's" advice (many are paid by vaccine companies to "sell" vaccines to patients.) Do your own research, which WILL take some time, before you start injecting dead or weakened viruses and baterium into your children.

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yep, and my children are safer, IMO, not being injected with all manner of dead and weakened viruses and bacterium. I HAVE a brain injured child. MY kids are safer being kept away from a good number of vaccines. You ARE taking a chance with your child's health by just accepting what the Establishment tells you about vaccines. Do your research, see what is best for YOUR children, and then make your choice. It may be different for different families.

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I wish I had known more about vaccinations when I had my children vaccinated. I also read an article in Mothering magazine about the mercury levels and the woman had a child who developed autism and his mercury levels were through the roof. Lucky, neither of my children had any ill effects from their vaccines. But, if I have another child, I will definitely be more selective with the vaccines. And, you can get an exemption for public schools. I'm not sure how, but my Chiropractor told me that you can send your children to public school without them having to be vaccinated.

10. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Maggie, the vast majority of children DON'T react to vaccines in this way. If they did, there would be a huge movement against them. I'm sorry yours did. But considering the odds and the alternatives, I WILL vaccinate my kids.

11. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

[. You shouldn't jepordize your kids lives just so you can brag about having "natural" children. I say, better safe than sorry.[/QUOTE

First thing I'm not the kynd of person to brag about anything ~ especially not parenting! I follow my instincts when it comes to my baby as well as my own life. In my eyes it definately does not seem right to inject puss from an infected body into my child. Maybe you'd be interested in knowing a few facts ~ check this out ~ http://vaccinationdebate.com

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

um, as far as i know, you can show an exemption form instead of a vax record for any of those activities. So, anyways, that's just not true. i live in canada, and nobody here *has* to be vaccinated. And there are exemptions available in ALL of the states in the usa.

we dont vax. i've researched both sides and am very confident in my decision. if you're interested in some resources that show why you shouldnt vax, give me a pm. i dont want to get into a debate about the issue. it's not worth my time or energy.

13. kraftykathy

kraftykathy Member

My son has sensory integration disorder and central auditory dysfunction, both of which are on the autism spectrum. I believe his MMR vax was the cause. It doesn't seem like such a small risk when you see how many kids in school have autism spectrum disorders.
    Mercury isn't the only theory in the autism - vaccination connection. All kinds of illnesses can occur due to mutation caused by a stressed immune system. Vaccinations often introduce 3 viruses that the immune system must create antibodies for. In my opinion that is a stress on the immune system.
    It would be nice if more of these vaccination were available, one disease at a time. I think it would be easier on the body and there would be fewer side affects.

Kathy

14. Hippie_Muncher

Hippie_Muncher Member

Personally I agree with certain Vaccins. Not natural ones like Chicken Pox because most kids should get the real thing so that they dont potentially get them again from the shot. I see nothing wrong with making sure my children are safe and healthy(Like the MMR shot) I dont want ym child to catch Rubella(sp?) its a seriouse illness that can hurt him bad, Also Menengitis(sp?) My son will be getting that shot since its going around the Vancouver(BC) area and Well I dont want to lose him to that either. Anyways I agree with most just not all.

15. tom

tom Member

My nephew was vaccinated at 6 months and died 5 days later. Just be careful, get all the info you can. Some combinations of vaccines can be deadly in some children.

16. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Vaccines do more good than harm in the majority of children.

These scare stories do not give definitive paths to the cause of the issues mentioned.

If you choose not to vaccinate and you are in Canada be prepared to not be able to have your child in sports, public schools or admitted to most extra circular activities.

The benefits are greater than the risks.

17. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

sorry, that's just wrong. someone gave you some misinformation.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/pphb-dgspsp/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/97vol23/23s4/23s4b_e.html

our constitution in canada says that we have the right to refuse any medical treatment, including vaccinations. noone can discriminate against my son because of his vaccination status.

18. Heat

Want to bet.

My sons records were not submitted to the school by me even though he had his vaccinations and I was the lucky recipient of a letter from the board and the public Health department stating that if he was not vaccinated he would be expelled from school until he was or I could show that he was. I had one month to either vaccinate him or show proof that he had been.

He was 8 at the time. This was last year.

19. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i hate it when schools try those strong arm tactics. i know my rights, and they'd get an earful from me if they tried something like that.

did you read this:
    the bolding is mine. all they need is some simple documentation

20. Heat

I am in Ontario. Regardless I would of had my children vaccinated as the prevention of some of these is to me more of a benefit than the risk as they are and were not in a high risk group.

If we look at vaccinations as a whole they have done much to eliminate many issues that children do not need to be exposed to ....I am not talking mumps. In today's medical system there is not need for a child to risk those like diphtheria, or polio.

Just my opinion and I am personally very comfortable with having had my children vaccinated.