Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Enraged Angel, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

How do you feel about vaccinations? It's been a big deal with our families, but we are against it.

Dude111 likes this.
  2. raz5

raz5 زینب

i don't do it

Dude111 likes this.
  3. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I'm curious, I never thought vaccinations were anything but a good thing until I started noticing people on hipforums being against them. I clearly don't know enough about the issue so if anyone would like to enlighten me more I'd appreciate it. I mean, I know about the possible links between mercury and autism and other disabilities, and the increase in vaccinations linking to the increase in those disabilities.. but also too, I've never read anything even remotely "official" that agrees those links are real.

I'm also curious as to why it seems only (mostly?) Americans seem to have a problem with vaccinations. Don't mean to offend anyone here, I'm genuinely curious. :confused:

4. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

There are some things that were basically erased in the US thanks to vaccines, like polio. When I have kids, I'll vaccinate, but as few as possible. I've had measles, so I don't feel the need to get that one, especially since I was vaccinated when I got them. But, anything that could be debilitating, I will do what I can to prevent it.

5. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I vaccinate!

I am just in awe of the people that DON'T vaccinate their kids. What if that child got measles, then came in contact with another child? The other child would catch them because they were highly contagious. What if that other child died? Are those non-vac parents ready for a wrongful death lawsuit? Probably not.
    All of the vaccines that STILL have the mercury in them have VERY little amounts of it in there, so there is no real SUPPORT that a child is even at risk for autism by being vac'd.

I know I WILL catch slack for that, but I really don't care. I'm a hardcore believer in the safety of my child and the safety of other children. Why should someone else live in fear and possibly suffer because I have a belief in something with no proof. I know my child is healthy and autism free.

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

For researching into it more when I'm actually going to have a kid.
    But so far, I lean more towards them than against them.
    Really, there are a lot of diseases that vaccinations help protect against, and few that vaccinations seem to cause.

7. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

What do I think?

I'm a mama of two and both of mine are vaccinated. If I were to do this all over again, I would never vaccinate either of them. If they wanted to be vaccinated, they could do so as an adult.

Why?

Because my son has a disability, and the only person to help my son (and he went to a special needs school) was a chiropractor who says his disability was caused by vaccinations. All the doctors that want me to vaccinate my son were in no way able to help him progress.

It is a very personal choice and no matter what you decide, you will receive slack from some.

Something for those that do insist on vaccinating children... only let them give your children one needle a visit.

I think ppl who insist on vaccinations should have to go and meet a family who has someone that is suffering from a result of their vaccination... they may be a more empathetic when there is a little face to the story.

8. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

Actually the scare is the other way around, my children are more prone to get sick around kids that have been vaccinated, unless they were around children who were not vaccnated that would never happen, if they they were... I'm sure that parent would understand.

My brother is autistic.... could have been from his vaccinations. I prefer to not take that chance.... all three of my children are very healthy and vaccinated free. ;)

With all the mental disorders in the world how do you know it wasn't started from a shot?

9. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

That is the choice I am giving to my children, what if THEY didn't want that done? YOu know?

I'm sorry to hear this has had to touch home. :(

10. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

I don't see a need to vaccinate for something that isn't even a threat....

The chance of a bad reaction is higher then the chance they would pick it up.

Dude111 likes this.
  11. odon

odon Slightly Popular

http://layscience.net/node/625

Most of them are nuts.

12. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

13. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I didn't say all of them.

14. Enraged Angel

Enraged Angel Banned

True.

15. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

These things still ARE threats....that's why there are vaccinations for them.

There is a risk of a reaction, but there is also a risk of reaction to strawberries or peanut butter, I don't see people avoiding those because they're scared of a reaction they may or may not have.

There is no proof that vaccinating causes autism. It's something people worry about....because people just need something to worry about.

Did you eat all organic while pregnant? There are metal supposites and lead and all sorts of things that get sprayed onto store bought produce. That can contribute to autism. There are hormones and whatnot put into different sources of meat and dairy products that can contribute to autism....it can for in-utero.

I still have NEVER seen enough evidence that vaccing causes autism enough to turn me against it and put my child at risk for a disease that has been proven to kill.

16. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Win.

17. MissBHave

MissBHave insert clever phrase here

someone's been watching law n order lol

18. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I nearly did though. :eek:

To be fair, I've recieved a skewed view of American feelings on this isssue. Most of the people I have spoken to about it here, have been kinda nuts...I appreciate most American's arne't.

I think a lot of Americans are cautious because there seems to be a strong amount of individualist tendancies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individualism

19. MissBHave

MissBHave insert clever phrase here

I completely agree with Enraged Angel

20. lostminty

lostminty Member

In New Zealand, a vaccination against 2 strains of Herpes that are linked to cervical cancer has been heavily promoted. At the same time the funding for pap-smears was cut and now you have to pay (socialized med btw).

Anyway, I'm not against the vaccine, i think if you can remove a factor that is predominant in a disease then you probably should....but the pap-smear helps with a range of issues