uranium doesn't glow

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by FlyingFly, May 24, 2013.

1. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Since someone said in butter thread that topics on random thoughts are getting repetetive, here I come to save the world one more time...

I was basicly watching some history documentary on youtube, which for some reason lead me to vice's documentary on magic healing wands and since they were talking about uranium there, I've decided to check if it really glows, which has lead me to this article:
    http://depletedcranium.com/why-does-radioactive-stuff-glow-green-or-why-do-people-think-it-does/

Well, it doesn't. At least not directly.

It does though, make fluorescent materials glow due to ionization effect. Since I don't really want to write everything they did once again, I'll quote one part that was most interesting for me and other you can read the rest at above site if you want...

I love youtube...

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Radium..

Radium is three million times as radioactive as the same mass of uranium.

3. lode

lode Banned

Yeah, they used to use radium to paint glow in the dark clocks. The women who were doing that job were actually the first case of employees suing for health violations.

It's real nasty stuff. The body can't really tell very well the diference between calcium and radium, so when radium gets into the body, it travels to bone location and sits their and causes necrosis.

4. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

I heard a rumour that lode can cause necrosis