Ups and downs

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Woodpoppies, May 10, 2006.

1. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

Hey I was just wondering why do you guys home school your kids and what are the ups and downs of homeschooling ?
    hanks katy

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Ups

Educational: kids get real-life experience (grocery shopping to learn about money), learn by doing instead of memorizing random facts (you want to learn geometry, build something), a curriculum that includes things that interest them, a teacher's one-on-one (or one-on-three, or whatever) instruction and attention, and, biggest reason, who knows better how a child learns than their own parents?

Social: interaction with people of all ages, races, social status (as opposed to school cliques and grade-level classrooms), they learn to become members of society from a wide range of people instead of just kids their own age

Philisophical: public schools were created to train children and form a workforce. They're essentially taught what they have to know in order to pass standardized tests and regurgitate information and random facts. Can anyone say "No child left behind?" Instead, i want to help my children become thinking people who can create their own solutions, and methods for arriving there.

The downside?

(Speaking of society as a whole) Alot of parents choose to homeschool their kids in order to limit them; we all know the types, the mom who takes her daughter out of public school so she won't have to learn about her period (seriously, a mom ranted to me once about just this);the religious types who say "they've taken god out of the classroom" and they want it to be not only a part of their education, but the basis of it, so they homeschool with their religious-twist curriculum; some parents simply want to control their child's life, and this is an easy way to achieve it for the most part.

For me personally, the downsides would be my own fear of "am i a good enough teacher? am i holding them back with my own ignorance?" or the fact that in our state, while homeschool is perfectly legal, homeschool graduates are not recognized as such, and they must get a GED and list that as their level of education on a job application instead of "high school diploma", i think that's a pretty big downer.

3. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

Thanks for commenting willow

4. Ramona

Ramona Member

I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. It was intelligent and well thought out.

5. pretteePeechbitz

pretteePeechbitz Members

I'm my stepson's learning coach, I hate it. Not because of my son but the whole process is beyond overwhelming and excessively sucking the life out of my kiddo. But his dad is steadfast in his determination to make this crap work. All hail real in the flesh public school and devoted parents who are involved in their kid's education and socialization. Sorry for the long winded rambling

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it was only four sentences. i'm wondering what your expectations are for your stepson's essay assignments.