United States of Politics in 2018

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Mar 30, 2018.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Not looking down on you. Just suggest you look up at reality instead of down looking for statistics. What is factually true is we don't need to bring in immigrants from shithole countries until we can figure out how to get the shithole parts of this country solved.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

And what makes sense to you? I'm sure you have a thoughtful and well researched solution to the problem, lets hear it. They shouldn't be able to take showers or recieve mail, what else ya got?

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You dont know the difference between a fact and an opinion, I see

4. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

If you make homeless comfortable they stay homeless.

The solution that seems to work is provide them 2 options. A ride out if town, or a ride to jail, where they can provide community services and work for room and board. They usually take the ride out of town. Either way that works better than making them as comfortable as we can.

I've been homeless. The best motivation for not being homeless it get your ass to a better situation.

Lots of homeless are mentally unstable and/or have drug problems. Our incarceration systems are the best equipped to handle both of those.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Not, to be honest, that doesn't sound like a humane solution to the homeless problem. If they have a drug problem or not is secondary if you ask me. You shouldn't hold it over someone's head that they have to get sober to get their needs met. Housing first. That's my solution. We should find a way to make housing affordable.

6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Our country has begun it's decent into a shithole country a decade before the last year+ of Trump. That is not an opinion.

7. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Housing and drug treatment both happen in incarceration. And that is far more humane than living in a tent with a bucket to crap in for a bathroom.

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

You want food and free or low cost housing. Do community service hours at a rate that represents the level of help they need. There are plenty of very needed public needs that are not being properly serviced due to lack of people and funds. Put the homeless to work. It was called the CCC and other names in the 30s. It provided food, housing to those that needed it and built our Dan's, roads bridges etc.

Perfect time to do it again in this country.

9. soulcompromise

Ok, but that isn't a permanent solution. I look to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to get some basis for what sort of things people are getting from their environment. In jail, you're surrounded by dangerous people. It isn't emotionally conducive to achieving your goals or any kind of actualization. Your need for safety is one of the most fundamental of your basic needs. In jail, you don't really have that.

[​IMG]

10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And tell me how living in a tent and shitting in a bucket gives you your pyramid of needs met?

Being addicted can be treated. But you have to motivate the addict to see that treatment and productivity is better than living under a bridge and using dumpsters for a meal plan.

None of my suggested programs are meant to be permanent programs.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The left loves homeless people

That’s why they make so many of them.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Being homeless isnt illegal
    And making them leave town just makes them another town's problem

You are right in that mental illness and drug abuse is generally the root of chronic homelessness but jails actually arent equipped to handle those problems, I'm not sure why you think they are. And again you cant put someone in prison for being homeless either way.
    It costs money to incarcerate someone and since you seem to be in favor of spending that money anyways, I have a better idea and one that doesnt advocate illegal imprisonment for someone who hasnt committed an actual crime .Lets allocate those resources towards mental health services for the homeless

13. soulcompromise

You're absolutely right! Living in a tent and shitting in a bucket isn't good. But there are programs people can get into. The one I used to work for has sobriety as a contingency. I don't know that every person can be a sober person. Anyway, there is a thing called General Relief where the government will lend you money to get back on your feet. There's also Supplemental Security Income through Social Security for anyone below a certain income level. There are government cell phone programs. With a good social worker or something, a person could theoretically get back on their feet. It sounds like you might know a little about that. But all the programming in the world does nothing if the housing isn't affordable once you get a job. You have to move back out into the world and you're in the workforce, but there's nowhere to go. The housing isn't available for anyone who isn't making X amount per year.

14. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

It's great way to justify taking from those that have, to provide for the comfort of those that don't. We must have pity on these poor humans.

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Many lived in tent cities during the 30s, during the wars and in Az. incarceration. Totally doable and while not outstanding living, it has proved to be adequate for many thousands over many years. The liberals shut it down in Az. It worked wonderfully. The prisons saved millions in the process.

I have converted shipping containers into small living pods at our company. Cost about 6K per unit. Can house 2-4. I provide housing for lower paid workers. They make $8 an hour. NO problem keeping them filled. There is a waiting list. No complaints about wages. They live on the worksite, obviously are never late and are thrilled to have free housing. It's a real treat when a hog hunt yields a good sized hog. I bring it to them and they cook it amazingly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

They exploit the poor by buying votes from them with taxpayer dollars.

From 1964-2014, $22 trillion was spent on Johnson’s war on poverty programs. The poverty rate stayed stagnant 14% the whole time. And all that money is enough to buy every homeless person a million dollar estate.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

But you said we should spend money on incarcerating the homeless. So you're justifying it too.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Whoa, careful with those statistics. Your people don't like those

19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yes incarceration houses them, treats their addiction and provides workers for public projects that are sorely underfunded and short of people.

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Really? What a breathtakingly stupid statement.